Little better but not quite there - 2020 Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    I understand he is getting older and we need the cash. However neither of these two players bring the same amount of value as Auba on or off the pitch. Like I said I don't rate Dani what does he bring to the table? Zidane and Real don't want him for good reason.

2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's important to put yourself in the other side's shoes. What would Real want for a 22 year old they spent 60 million on in the summer? Plus Real probably value Ceballos at around 40 million.

Super Llama repped this.
  3. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    I get it, doesn't mean we will pay it especially after the Pepe money. Ceballos is nowhere near that worth even in a inflated market.

4. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I've seen links between Arsenal and James Rodriguez as he returns from loan at Bayern. He has one year left on his contract, but he turns 29 this summer which puts him about 3 years younger than Ozil. All things being equal, I'd take him over Ozil, but it will probably cost a lot to make that swap.

Certainly seems like Real Madrid and Arsenal could be doing some business this summer.

Walia Ibex repped this.
  5. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been some news (possibly fake news) come out stating that Ceballos has said that 1st priority is to make it at Real (that's not really new) but that if he has to move his first choice destination is Real Betis. That part (if true) is interesting considering he is currently on loan here and has never played under the current Betis manager.

How this could be beneficial for us? The rumors are that Real want to give us Dani (or someone else) to provide make weight on a deal for PEA. There are also rumors that we want Fekir from Betis. Well what if we essentially orchestrate a "3 team trade"? PEA sold to Real. Dani sold to Betis. Fekir sold to Arsenal. Real gets a guy they want and offloads one they do not. Betis may not want to lose Fekir, but if they do they get a player coming home situation to replace him. We sell PEA (since he isn't gonna sign and extension) and get a scoring MF with prior Lacazette experience/chemistry.

6. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Ceballos is a Andalusian kid from greater Seville played his youth Career at Betis. So it makes sense. I like Fekir a whole lot better than Dani so that would be awesome. Are we sure Auba doesn't want to sign? Or are we looking to cash in because we need the money? Either way it will be a sad day but business is business.

7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes more sense RE Dani. I know he played at Betis but I didn't know the full background.

Hate to lose PEA's scoring but I think Fekir would be an excellent consolation prize. He is capable of scoring double digits from MF and ,like I mentioned previously, his prior chemistry with Laca could finally pull the best out of him.

Hard to say. Everything I've read is that we have tried/are trying but have been unsuccessful. On the why, I've heard anything from he simply wants to move on to get one last shot at trophies to he is demanding Ozil money to stay.

8. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing links this morning to DM/CM Marc Roca. coming from Spain so the validity is questionable. However, the claim is that we have already made an offer through his agent and both clubs are waiting on thr CV stuff to pass in order to begin negotiations. Roca is said to have a 40m euro release clause but his current club may be willing to sell for less due to likely relegation.

9. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Hey we made it through April Fool's without a link to Arsenal signing Kane or Mbappe or something.

Watching some video on Roca, he is left-footed and looks more like a Xhaka replacement than a Ceballos replacement.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  10. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I see him as a 6 for a future 4-3-3.

11. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of links this weekend to us signing Layvin Kurzawa and Ryan Fraser on free transfers.

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we've reached the end of the internet and we're circling back around, are we.

13. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    "ARSENAL LOOKING AT GEMS IN THE TRANSFER MARKET"

Attached Files:

14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    They've also been linked with Willian and Lingaard. At this point in their careers they are all mid table signings. The Kroenkes need to decide whether they want Arsenal to be a mid table team that turns a smallish profit most years or a team that consistently competes for trophies and doesn't turn a profit every year. Unfortunately I think they prefer the first option. BTW Walmart is going to be one of the financial survivors of the pandemic so there is no way that Stan can plead poor.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I first read this as "GERMS"

GunnerJacket repped this.
  16. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Not sure how much of his fortune is directly tied to Walmart. I know his wife inherited most of her money from Walmart. But Stan made most of his developing the strip malls and retail around Walmarts, and those places are hurting and not paying their rent.

Plus, the Rams admitted that the new Sofi Stadium might be delayed. It was supposed to open for its first concert in late July, but there is no guarantee we will be having large public gatherings by then.

17. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Yea I'm not crying for Stan financially lol like why can't we get an American owner who likes to spend like Ballmer or the Fenway group. Like at this point I will take oil rich emirs or one eyed patch wearing villainous diamond money owners to own this team lol..

I suspect when this all gets cleared up we do modest signings nothing major. So if the season is canceled do we get automatic EL contention for next year?

Super Llama repped this.
  18. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    There is some intermixing of money in their sports empire. His wife is actually listed as the owner of the Denver Nuggets.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? We sit 9th. Even if Citeh’s Uefa ban is upheld, and both domestic cups are also cancelled, we aren’t gettin in.

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    There is a school of thought that if they abandon the season, they would go back to last season’s results to determine Champions League and Europa League qualifications. I don’t see it happening, but if they do abandon the season and use the current standings, both Arsenal and Sheffield United would be hard done by. Both have a game in hand and three points for Arsenal for the unplaced game could put them in a Europa League spot, depending on the shoreline, while three points for Sheffield would put them in a Champions League spot. Either way someone is going to feel screwed.

Walia Ibex repped this.
  21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed about that!

Personally I completely discounted the concept of making this season null & void and using last year's standings to determine next year's UEFA candidates. I think that might cause a revolt.

I also find it hard to believe they will just determine standings as of now, without an equal number of games to play, etc. But if they did, then we sit 9th and have no chance of UEFA.

Most of what I'm hearing from UEFA, EPL, EFL is that they desperately want to complete the season somehow, even if behind closed doors. And as sad as that would be (no fans) I agree with that position... EXCEPT for a HUGE caveat that the COVID-19 crisis being diminished enough and safe enough to do so.

We. Shall. See.

22. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    From what I'm seeing from the UK and from family and friends I have there they are saying it's bad in the UK as of now in regards to Covid19. I really don't see football coming back till well into July if the powers that be want a completed season. Also wouldn't that spill and delay next season since most leagues start in August. I think all leagues currently suspended have to come to the realization that is season might be a wash.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. Things are bad in UK and just got a little worse with Bojo going into intensive care. Things are bad and so many places including where I live. The whole thing is a big gigantic crapshoot!

24. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I could see them shifting the whole calendar. Finish this season in August/Sept/Oct, then have fixtures run from Feb thru Oct or March thru Nov going forward. Basically everyone plays the MLS schedule with international tournaments in December (cough, Qatar 2022, cough). If coronavirus sticks around and is seasonal like the flu, you avoid matches during the traditional flu season.

25. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA approved a plan to push the transfer window and extend current contracts (loans, expiring, etc...) to allow teams to finish the current season before changes to rosters would occur. No set dates yet.