Little better but not quite there - 2020 Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing some claims that we have offered PEA to Real Madrid for Ceballos plus cash.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :( It would have to be a lot a lot of extra cash IMHO

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would take jovic and ceballos for pea

4. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the quoted price to retain Dani (36m) and the rumors of PEA being let go for anything from 50-70m you would be looking at 20-40m cash addon.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had this discussion above, but Dani is not proven value for 36M, so I think I'd value him below that, which in my mind would increase the amount of cash RM would have to pay for Auba.

I realize that others, especially RM, may not quite see it my way. ;)

Walia Ibex repped this.
  6. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of Jovic + Dani for PEA. Then we can sell Laca for extra cash and let Jovic, Nketiah & Martinelli battle it out for ST minutes.

7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Claims out of Germany that Upamecano has told Leipzig that he wants a move this summer. There is also speculation that he could cost less than his release clause because 1) 1 yr left on contract, 2) player pushing for a move and 3) less available transfer funds for most squads due to season delay/shutdown.

Super Llama repped this.
  8. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Went over to the RM board to see what they were saying about Jovic. Seems like a bit of a head case, he might get arrested for breaking quarantine to go see his girlfriend on her birthday. I wonder if RM will be willing to sell at a loss after one season or if they will look to loan to rebuild his value.

Also, thought it was funny that one of the posters on their board suggested signing Saliba.

9. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't see this happening. Since we're not making CL, can we really give him the kind of huge salary that would lure him to us even in the absence of CL? I don't see it.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have 10 matches to play. We're 8 pts off of 4th place, and 5 pts off of 5th place... with a game in hand.

Assuming they restart and complete the 19/20 season somehow, I'd say it's a total crapshoot. I'm not saying we're a shoe-in but I wouldn't completely rule out CL for next year.

p.s. I've been wondering if the pandemic changes the likelihood that Citeh get banned from UEFA next year, and that of course is what could make a 5th place finish good enough for CL.

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so much the points gap. Too many teams to jump.

12. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Arsenal could jump Tottenham and Wolves by winning those games and the game in hand, unfortunately the game in hand is City. The other two teams they would need to jump are Sheffield United and Man United. It’s doable but not probable. Arsenal still have to play the top three. They might be able to squeeze into a Europa League spot, but they would probably have to win out to qualify for the Champions League and they aren’t going to take full points off the top three.

13. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing some links this morning to Nebil Fekir. He has proven himself healthy again with his stint at Betis. If we could find a true #6, I think a 4-3-3 like ManC ran with Fakir in the LCM/LAM role could be deadly. He has the ability to be both a scoring and creative MF. Added plus that he and Laca had a very good chemistry when they were both at Lyon. Matter of fact, Laca's best years where when the two of them played together.

Just a thought what if we go for Fekir, Tolisso and Alaba as our main signings this window? In theory you could get all three by offloading current surplus (PEA, Mustfi, Sokratis, Mhki, El Neny, etc...) and then focus on youth (N'Dicka, Kokcu) or FAs (Meunier) with whatever is left with our budget. Fekir can play LCM/LAM in a 4-3-3 or #10 in a 4-2-3-1. Tolisso can play RCM in the 4-3-3 or any spot in the CM of the 4-2-3-1. Alaba can play LB or CM/DM in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

----------------------- Laca ---------------------------
    Saka ------------------------------------------ Pepe
    --------- Fekir ------------------ Tolisso ------------
    ------------------ Lucas/Alaba ----------------------
    Tierney/Alaba - Mari - Luiz/Holding - Bellerin

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No chance we get Alaba

more likely that dude in league 2 who pkays dm

tolisso and ceballos

others if we sell auba

15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alaba is running down his contract. Will have 1 year left this summer and has openly talked about being a life long Arsenal fan. May not be a slam dunk but I bet there is a chance, especially if we offer the opportunity to get minutes at CM/DM which he plays for national team and has stated is his preferred position. The way I see it, you offer him as a DM and backup LB. Give Tierney every opportunity to be the LB starter until A) he gets hurt again or B) he proves he isn't ready.

Assuming we end up keeping Laca (vs selling he and PEA and then having to get another ST to compete with Eddie), I like the idea of going after Fekir vs trying to keep Ceballos. Think there is a chance we can get him cheaper, think he would fit the Pep style 4-3-3 better, he has prior chemistry with Laca and he is a scoring threat from MF.

thebigman repped this.
  16. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Summer move for Partey looking like it will be off the table. He is expected to sign a new deal with Atletico that will raise his release clause from 50m euro to somewhere between 100-150m euro.

17. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This idea is starting to show up in the media and Arsenal blogs. Supposedly Real have further frustration with Jovic because he defied team orders and went home to Serbia during the CV break.

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Has Jovic been good at Real? The numbers aren't great.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a model professional to me!

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    He’s played less than 400 minutes in La Liga and slightly more than 100 in the Champions League, so I’m not sure we can evaluate whether or not he’s been good.

21. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    How much cash 80 million Euros! I'm not a big fan of Ceballos and without Auba we are relegation fodder.

22. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If we're doing the Jovic + Ceballos for Auba deal, then we'd probably have to pay ~20 million euros to make the deal work.

23. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Aubameyang by himself is worth 70-80 million euros. If you really believe Jovic + Ceballos is worth more +20 mil explain that to me. How much is each of them worth? And in particular why is Dani worth keeping on his own right.

24. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Thats what Real would be asking for. Not actual worth. You think they would want to be seen as "losing" the deal by chopping out Ceballos, Jovic + cash for Auba?

25. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Auba isn't worth that much. He'll be 31 in June and will have less than a year left on his contract.

I'm not saying I want Ceballos or Jovic necessarily, but an even swap would be a great deal for us.

Super Llama repped this.