Little better but not quite there - 2020 Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sabitzer???
    No he is more of an 8/10 hybrid but he has a very good work ethic and will track back.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like something we could really use! No idea how good he is at that. But banging 2 against Spurs don't hurt.

3. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #153 casoccerdad47, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    there really isn’t a lot of difference between Pep’s 4-3-3 and Arteta’s 4-2-3-1. Arsenal utilize three forwards. They essentially play a 4-2-1-3 as opposed to a 4-1-2-3. The difference is in the shape of the midfield triangle. City’s has a defensive mid behind two attacking minds, Arsenal employ two defensive mids behind one attacking mid. It works for City because they have de Bruyne and the two Silva’s available in the attacking mid roles. Arsenal don’t play with two attacking mids because they have an aging Ozil and a question mark. They also don’t have a dominate defensive mid.

Re the question mark: For me Willock is to inconsistent to play an attacking mid role on a regular basis and Ceballos looks like a deep lying playmaker, he Is a better version of Xhaka. When they have played together this year, Xhaka seems to fade into the background. So without a second consistent attacking mid, Arteta’s solution is to overlap Saka into his natural attacking role. This variation also allows Aubameyang to play in the half space, getting him nearer the goal.

ESR may fill one of the two attacking mid roles next season, but if they want to play like City they would still need another attacking mid either to phase out Ozil, or at a minimum for depth.

As a final note/question, Iwobi seems like he would have been a natural for one of the two attacking mid roles, playing in the half space. I wonder if he would have been sold if Arteta was in charge at the start of the season?

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Imo we need a b2b

if we want to play 433 at least and possibly a dm screener who can pass (rare)

mid wr want to keep the 4231 then an ozil replacement and a 6

5. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors still running rampant even during a shut down...

- PSG has shown up as a possible suitor for PEA. They are losing Cavani & Icardi this summer and will need replacements. PSG manager, Tuchel, has worked with PEA in the past and is very interested in a reunion.
    - Other options for PEA... Barca are interested as a backup option if they can/do not pull off a deal for Lautaro Martinez. Inter are interested as a replacement for Martinez if he goes to Barca.
    - Atletico remain interested in Lacazette
    - PSG has supposedly offered Samuel Umtiti to both us and ManU so they can raise funds for other transfers
    - We have supposedly shown interest in Thomas Meunier and Denzel Dumfries as depth/competition for Bellerin.
    - We continue to be heavily linked with Thomas Partey, Orkun Kökçü & Layvin Kurzawa
    - There have been several rumors about Roma (Mhki) and Besiktas (ElNeny) working to negotiate a permanent transfer for their respective Arsenal loanees.
    - We have supposedly been told that we can buy Ceballos permanently for 36m GBP
    - New CB links... Issa Diop, Chris Smalling & Dejan Lovren

6. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Re Smalling and Lovren, we need to get rid of the thirty something defenders we already have, not add more.

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I quite like Ceballos. But for 36m. Hmmm, don't think I like him quite that much.

Lovren - gross.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Had he actually shown more positive evidence of value then I could be turned. But he had like 1 good match under Emery... his first or second match? And lately he had a few good matches under Arteta. But the sample size of all this is too small to commit 36M for.

p.s. Didn't his loan deal have a pre-determined buy price?

9. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ceballos for 36m seems steep but I don't know if we can really get a player of his skill level for less money than that. He's been better since returning from injury.

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    36 million for a young prospect in today’s market is cheap

I would take it and sell laca and auba

bring in a cb and obviously a young striker with pace and go from there

that’s if the world doesn’t end of course

11. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Real question here. Does he do anything you would want from a young player? No pace, no power. He has good vision, and seems to not lose the ball at his feet at a grossly unacceptable rate. But, isn't that the preferred skill set of a journeyman vet? There are literally hundreds of these players out there.

Tonerl repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, sometimes I look at a player who is as unbelievably one-footed as Dani seems to be, and you scratch my head a little and ask "couldn't we find someone just as good who can use both feet?" <reminiscing of Santi Cazorla>

13. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Santi... Read this morning that we have started talking to him about coming back to Arsenal (he is a FA this summer).

daedalus repped this.
  14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he has shown to be a potential great 6 who puts defensive work in and moves the ball really well

please show me where there are loads of these midfielders. All I see is wide forwards and fullbacks coming through

15. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That would be an important distinction if we already owned him, but we are talking about £36 million. So the question is what can we get for less, unless his position is particular to our plans going forward.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love that, but honestly I can't see why he would. Unless there's something about Spain that he isn't liking (other than Corona of course). It seems he might have a bad taste in his mouth about how his foot surgeries were handled by Arsenal doctors/staff.

17. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i haven't seen him enough to form much of an opinion but does he have the mindset where it's possible to make that same conversion like arteta? i mean, if he does, he would have arteta at the training ground to guide him along. and it'd be cool.

i wonder if, unless we (could afford to) bring in someone outrageous, he could pair successfully with xhaka on a long term basis in the premiership. neither are really a natural defensive midfielder but if they could learn to pair, one could hang back further to support the defensive line or slide over to cover their respective fullback when they go forward (like xhaka has been doing for saka) while the other move further forward to support the attacking line.

thebigman repped this.
  18. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he is bitter at all. Read an interview from him last summer maybe that said he wants to come back to Arsenal one day as a player or coach. If we do indeed bring him back now you have to think that we are bringing him back as a vet mentor and grooming him to either be part of the staff or work with our youth setup.

NorthBank repped this.
  19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Head of StatDNA leaving to go work for Wenger at FIFA. Apparently Sanllehi would rather give money to agents.

Is it ethical to want certain people to get COVID-19? Other than Xi Jinping?

Shen-O repped this.
  20. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing lots of rumors that we have resigned to PEA not signing a new contract. Supposedly Barca (backup plan to Martinez), Inter, PSG & ManU are interested. It is thought that Barca is PEA's first choice.

Seeing some fresh links to Tolisso as well as a new one to Alaba. The Alaba link is speculative based on his past omission of Arsenal fandom and the fact that he has openly stated that he is intentionally winding down his current contract. Personally I would love to grab Tolisso & Alaba as a new MF base and then have Alaba available for LB if/when Tierney gets hurt again.

21. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    No, but we can quietly fantasize.

22. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Links/Rumors from the weekend...

- We are being linked to 2 new(ish) CBs. First is Frankfurt CB Evan N'Dicka. Not sure we've ever been lined to him before but I recall several of us talking about him a year or 2 ago. The second is Bilbao CB Unai Nunez who was linked with us last summer. He has turned down a couple contract extensions so the links are picking up.

- Links to Celtic ST Odsonne Edouard have been picking up again, especially with the further speculation that PEA will be moved this summer.

- We are linked to a free transfer for Newcastle MF Matty Longstaff. He has been frustrated with his lack of opportunity at Newcastle despite positive outings when he does get to play. Looking to go elsewhere when his contract expires. Arsenal are said to be very interested.

23. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    N'Dicka? Longstaff? We are finally getting around to replacing Coquelin with players whose names make us giggle like 5th graders.

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    N’dicka would pair well with rod fanni

GunnerJacket and yossarian repped this.
  25. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roma has supposedly offered us 15m euro with 2m in addons for Mhki. Our original asking price was supposed to be 24m euro. Interesting to see how this pans out. Same report claims that Roma may be willing to go as high as 20m. I'd take that in a heartbeat. Frankly, I'd probably take 15+2 to increase our summer budget but if that is the opening offer you have to try to negotiate.