Little better but not quite there - 2020 Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As usual, the club have managed a PR own goal here

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Counterpoints:

- Cesc didn't leave for lack of loyalty, in fact it was the opposite because it was always known his loyalty originally lay to Barca.

- Ozil was rewarded for his loyalty, and handsomely at that. Of late the club (or more specifically select staff and fans) has been asking for his effort, as that is what was lacking. Few would dispute the idea that Arsenal were not getting their money's worth from him over time.

- That Ozil was scapegoated regarding the paycut issue... He did stand apart from the team in that regard. Maybe that meant he was the only one brave enough but it does stand in contrast to excessive claims of loyalty.

As far as I'm concerned no one is shrouded in glory in all this. I regret the club didn't offer at least tacit free-speech support for his comments on China and I'd like to think he warrants he at least being in the squad if healthy and not a clubhouse cancer. Then for his part he simply needs to make sure that when he takes the pitch he doesn't regress to just doing his thing but actively tries to improve per coaches directions.

Either way soap operas suck.

cantona94 and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  3. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I guess
    Did it really seem like Ozil's effort was a problem when playing for Arteta? I thought exactly the opposite--in fact his form was really good under Arteta which is what makes his exclusion during the restart extra suspicious.

Let's not frame taking a pay cut as demonstrating loyalty. That isn't how it works. And besides, in this interview Ozil claims that other players also rejected the paycut but were not singled out in the same way. That may not be true, but even if he stood alone, he was not less loyal than other players just because he wanted them to honor their end of a contract they signed. That is, of course, the reason d'etre of capitalists: to assume the risk and reward of financial projects they carry out. You shouldn't just be able to shove that risk onto your employees once it arrives, that's bullshit.

4. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The technical director Kia Joorabchian speaks to TalkSport (via Arseblog):

My favorite bit is when he refers to Sven as ‘the previous guy’. I’m sure he means previous to Edu, but it reads like he’s referring to himself. :ROFLMAO:

cantona94, daedalus and Super Llama repped this.
  5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    It’s been reported prior to the Ozil interview, in fact as far back as the announcement of the teams acceptance of the pay cuts, that two point other players refused the cuts. Yet in the months that followed, the only player identified as not accepting the pay cuts was Ozil.

daedalus, GunnerJacket and Super Llama repped this.
  6. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City

7. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is what it is.

Just hope Arteta calls Ozil into his office and hash it out. Give Ozil a road to redemption. We know ozil is capable of being world class.

8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The thing is, this nonsense with Ozil cost the club on the pitch. We probably make CL under Emery last season if it wasn't for this nonsense, and we probably have a few more points this season as well.

It's malpractice on the club's part. Were you the agent of a good player who has options, you'd take note of this.

Shen-O, daedalus and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Amateur hour

Arteta should never have agreed to front the pay negotiations

Shen-O, daedalus and mebeSajid repped this.
  10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Absolutely agree, and on the whole I agree the club has mishandled this situation since the renegotiated contract. If they felt so highly of him they should have have done more to build around him to make the investment succeed.

I just think it's disingenuous to imply Ozil hasn't contributed to his situation in any way. He at least bears some blame and I find it hard to believe he could be on the outs with successive coaches simply because those coaches don't like him. If he's that good and that committed to the cause they'd find a way to make use of him.

Unless we're going to find out Arteta is as bad as Emery, in which my thought process doesn't apply!

Super Llama and mebeSajid repped this.
  11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This was a huge red flag, though he was recovering from COVID at the time.

12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think what some of us are saying is that the freeze out has been because of wages. It's not that Emery and Arteta didn't want to play Ozil - it's that the club wanted to force Ozil out because of wages.

Arsenal aren't above briefing the press about players they don't like - witness what they did with Alexis. That largely hasn't happened here.

daedalus and Super Llama repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yep

He was one of our best players before lockdown yet now cant even nake the bench despite the team being creatively awful

That is not credible

Shen-O, daedalus, Tonerl and 3 others repped this.
  14. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The reasons why Torreira didn't play are somewhat obvious. With Ozil, you're not playing the guy who, until two weeks ago, still had more chances created than any other player on the squad, on a squad that had fewer chances created than like 15 other teams in the PL. If it was because of his lack of effort, why was he playing consistently in Arteta's teams before the restart? The reason I (and I'm assuming others) are taking Ozil's side in this is because it's pretty obvious that him not playing and being frozen out of the side has very little to do with on-pitch stuff, and is drama of the club's making.

mebeSajid, daedalus and casoccerdad47 repped this.
  15. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    If you’re a player at Arsenal and you’re not sure what’s going on, you take note of it, I know I would.

daedalus and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I wish they'd just be more honest about it.

daedalus and Super Llama repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed

If you are a player like Wilock or Pepe and dependent on Arteta for playing time, how can you say no?

mebeSajid and daedalus repped this.
  18. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I have high expectations of Arteta, so if this has come down from management, I hope he’s being straight forward with Ozil. It may be significant that Ozil has said he won’t talk about his conversations with Arteta.

19. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    If Ozil had played, Arsenal could have defeated City and Chelsea to win the FA Cup and qualify for Europe.

20. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "What is the sentence example used in the dictionary for hindsight bias?"

daedalus repped this.
  21. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #1696 casoccerdad47, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    I assume you meant to add a ? at the end of your sentence.

Maybe had Ozil played they could have defeated Brighton, Villa and Spurs and made the Champions League. Maybe he just plays those three games and Arteta goes more defensive in the games against other teams, lots of maybes. But the most important maybe is that maybe when the team is struggling to create chances, it’s a good idea to at least have your most creative player on the bench, so if you need someone that can help change the game, he’s available.

Super Llama repped this.
  22. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/mesut-...ails/spieler/35664/wettbewerb/GB1/saison/2019

Arsenal got 1.33 points per match when he played this season. Overall, Arsenal put up 56 points in 38 matches, 1.47 points per match. But yeah, probably would have won the league if he played every match.

Ozil isn't worth the 350k a week he makes and the club isn't playing him to try to convince him to leave. If he was good, Arsenal would be giving him a contract extension like they are about to do for another 31-year-old who is entering the final year of his contract but who plays regularly and almost won the Golden Boot.

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it really is about bonuses and/or the pay cut, there's no way management can be honest about that. It'd make them look like assholes --- which they would be (and probably are).

Shen-O and daedalus repped this.
  24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    On one hand I get that, but on the other I find it so incredibly juvenile and naive for the team to genuinely do this I struggle to embrace the reality of it.

This isn't like Guendo - a youth gamble that wasn't progressing and where comparable options are on deck. It's not like the Bale situation in Madrid where the team is fine, winning, and raking in dough. Arsenal need to find ways to win and demonstrate an ability to attract and retain talent. Simply sitting someone that might contribute would be a classic "cutting off your nose..." situation. What benefit is there in not laying the option at the coaches feet? If there's a personal issue why not seek to resolve it? It's clear the club needed creativity, it needed wins, and you are already paying the guy. Why is he not even considered an option from the bench?

If he's not producing or is impacting team cohesiveness then that's one thing, but if this is a matter of spite then I've got a gripe. Arsenal are not so big a club that they should leave tools out of the toolbox, as it were.

But that's just me.

25. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I didn’t say win the league, I didn’t say he
    I can use stats too. Ozil started all 10 games between Arteta’s first game against Bournemouth and the shutdown. Arsenal averaged 1.7 points per match during that period and suffered one defeat. After the restart they averaged 1.6 points per match, but suffered four defeats.

I didn’t say Arsenal could have won the league if he played every game, nor I did I say he should play every match. What I suggested in the post you appear to have responded too, is that it made no sense to not to have had him on the bench when Arsenal were struggling to break down teams.

I agree that Ozil hasn’t been worth £350k per week, but that shouldn’t matter to fans or the coach, it’s between the player and management. All that matters, is whether on a weekly basis Ozil is better than his replacement. With respect to creativity it isn’t even a close call.

yossarian, daedalus and Super Llama repped this.