Little better but not quite there - 2020 Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think it all depends on how we finish. Your scenario is likely our EL qualified scenario. CL qualified could see a bit more. Out of EL all together makes me think it could be worse.

2. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Not the Dembele that played central midfield for Tottenham, the Dembele that played with PEA at BVB before transferring to Barcelona.

3. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Several points: They've been back in training three days, hardly enough time to make a decision that Holding is not going to regain his pre injury form.

I very much doubt that Chambers is back in full training after an ACL operation in the fall, especially given the time required for both Bellerin and Holding to return to full training after suffering from the same injury.

For the record, Arteta has praised Holding. This could be a case where Arteta would prefer to keep him, while management is looking to fund other transfers.

I like both the physicality Holding brings to the defense and the fact he is home grown. I still have an image of him glaring down at Diego Costa in a game against Chelsea after winning a header.

daedalus, danielh and Super Llama repped this.
  4. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    i don’t see all 4 going. Arsenal would have to completely remake their defense, with Mari, Chambers, who almost certainly won’t be ready for the start of the season, a 19 year old Saliba, Mavropanos, and one or two new defenders. A solid defense is built on experience and an understanding between the center backs. Between them the three healthy remaining CBs have played a grand total of 10 first team games in an Arsenal uniform. It would take some time for a totally remade defense to gel. I think it’s more likely that Arsenal will activate Luiz’ extension when the current season is completed, Mavropanos will be sold or go out on loan and Arsenal either keep Holding or add a new CB.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I was assuming no CL-qualification. I don't think I was every really very optimistic about us achieving that pre-shutdown, and now I've basically written that off. Perhaps it's just the overall pandemic malaise that's crept into my psyche.

6. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, CL is highly unlikely but not yet impossible. Though too many things have to fall the right way.

7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Such as signing people in the transfer window in order to lock down a CL spot

8. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Arsenal have now been linked to 17 year old Adil Aouchechi from PSG, who will be available on a free at the end of June, when his contract expires. If Arsenal are going to fully commit to a youth movement, he could potentially be a very good signing.

GunnerJacket and Ofori repped this.
  9. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020

I wouldn't mind this at all

10. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read about this this afternoon. Looks to be a high potential goal scoring AM. I read that his agent is seeking 25k/wk plus 4m signing bonus.

Ofori repped this.
  11. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Would be a good get

12. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s way worse. We paid a pile of money to Joorabchian on top of the £8m.

daedalus, GunnerJacket and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  13. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooo... supposedly Inter are now interested in Lacazette as an option to replace Martinez (assuming the deal with Barca actually goes down)

14. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And let the CB links begin... starting yesterday we have been linked with....

Lille CB Gabriel - Linked with him last summer I believe and possibly in Jan as well. There have been numerous claims of us, Chelsea, Everton & Napoli making offers.

Sevilla CB Diego Carlos - has same agent as Martinelli and turned down advances from Liverpool in Jan because he didn't want to move mid season.

Internacional CB Bruno Fuchs - 21 yo Brazilian supposedly holding talks with Ajax & Milan.

thebigman repped this.
  15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Like this Brazilian revolution

16. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all surprising given the hire of Edu.

I doubt we can afford Gabriel or Diego Carlos this window but Fuchs is rumored to be 5m euro. Maybe another Martinelli-esque buy? From his video he looks like a RCB with a habit of taking the ball without having to be over physical. So more of a finesse tackler. Also makes some pretty good long passes to the wings and counter attack passes to the STs.

17. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly he is at St Ettienne today have a medical.

18. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Post-Brexit, aren't EU-based players and Brazilians treated the same with regards to work permits now?

19. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if there are any actual rules

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Brexit is a shit show

hopefully the tories get a shot version of Brexit with all the same customs rules and work permit rules

21. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Icardi to PSG being reported as a done deal, so I assume that rules out PEA to PSG.

Also interesting that PSG had a clause to buy Icardi for 70m but got the deal done for 45m + 7m in add-ons. This feels like a buyer's market, if you have money to spend, you can get players at a discount. The question is whether or not Arsenal will have any to spend.

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well if we sell auba and laca then we have a good bit of cash and players value will be hugely reduced this year

I would love a couple of loan moves or part exchange deals

23. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming we would be able to get a decent amount for them I would be really tempted to take cash and try our luck at getting some 20m or less deals for younger euro targets (Diallo, Kokcu, Eduoard, etc...), see if you can find some Martinelli type deals out of SA and like you said supplement with loans (Rabiot, Dembele, Coutinho rumored as options). You could get in a pretty significant rebuild if you play your cards right.

GunnerJacket and thebigman repped this.
  24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors floating around that...

1. We are making one last attempt to agree an extension with PEA
    2. Looking like we are trying to extend Luiz a more agreeable terms than the extension option

25. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saul Niguez posted on Instagram (I think) about an immanent move this summer. There is a ton of speculation that based on the post that his move will be to England. This could impact us in a couple ways...

1. There is a shaky rumor that we could be the destination. This is likely wrong as there have also been a ton of rumors about ManU and in all likelihood we can't afford his transfer fee.
    2. Assuming he is headed to ManU, there is a good chance that Partey goes no where unless his release clause is triggered. Can't imagine that Atletico will want to lose 2 starting CMs in the same window.