Little better but not quite there - 2020 Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    And why Chelsea won the league the following year, and a big reason why France won the WC in the following year after that. There are always players who are gems who are undiscovered, underdeveloped and underutilized. As a scouting, technical and player personnel department you must be able to identify, secure and then nurture these talents to be a consistently high performing club. We have lacked this trait for the last 5 years now.

ArsenalJake repped this.
  2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the last 5?

daedalus and GunnerJacket repped this.
  3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The problem is not identifying these talents: Wenger tried to sign a ton of the "we should have signed X" players. Wenger tried to sign Kante the summer he went to Leicester.

The problem was executing the transfers.

It feels like we've gotten past this, but given that we've done this by giving Mendes and Joorabchian the run of the club, the cure is worse than the disease itself.

daedalus, Shen-O and Super Llama repped this.
  4. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Yup. Prior to 2014 we had financial constraints that hampered the acquisition of talent and nurturing of it. I was a massive fan of Wenger even in the late years and I feel like he did alot with a little definitely overachieved with average squad after average squad. But let's look to the future I do think we have turn a corner in some aspect but still have a way to go.

Shen-O repped this.
  5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm well aware of the financial restraints under which the club was operating. And I also believe Wenger over-achieved with some of those squads he had from the opening of the Emirates in 2006 through 2013. But identifying and signing young talent, for instance in the manner Dortmund does (or even close to that), was not a strong suit of the club during that time.

6. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Agreed and I do believe Dortmund and Arsenal are much different clubs in terms of expectations and pedigree and overall scrutiny. We seem to be lacking in the areas I spoke about. But I will give Artrea time and many transfer windows before I'm critical. I always support the manager unless the vision, results and performances are so egregiously bad (Emery).

7. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were treading water for a little white. Flipping Adebayor and Nasri was ok, and getting money for Sagna wasn't bad. However the club whiffed completely on the inflation era. It's hard to underestimate how much the money from Gareth Bale completely changed Tottenham. It's been since Nasri that we're brought in a young player that other teams were competing hard for. However, Martenelli may become the player that reboots the finances for us.

Shen-O and yossarian repped this.
  8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree the clubs are different, but I'm curious if we're agreeing with regard to how. Care to elaborate?

Please don't mistake my post as impatience with Arteta --- quite the opposite. I'm fine with writing off this season standing-wise as long as we're seeing progress in how the team plays. And so far, small, yet encouraging, signs are there.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Financial constraints or no Wenger definitely had a flaw in failing to address positions of need unless he found a player that fit his idea of a financial steal. How many summers were Arsenal perpetually 1-2 signings from truly contending? No one required that signing be a Messi, merely someone who would attempt to improve upon the status quo at the time. Even if that was an up-and-comer like Coquelin (sp?) at one time.

Wenger was a grocery shopper whose menu was based on what was on sale, not what they wanted to eat.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny and I agree with it to a fairly significant degree.

But TBF if Arsene was having a debate with you, he might mention the names of Henry, Sanchez, Cazorla, Reyes, Nasri who all we're not exactly bargain buys at the time I think... and all came pretty good in the end, to varying degrees of course.

Oh, and there's Ozil, who no one can ever criticize for being a bargain buy! ;)

Shoot, he might even bring up Auba & Laca, although we now see these as desperate acts in what turned out to be his final season.

Or if you you go back another year or two there's Mustafi, who may end up rivaling Ozil as our biggest overpayment, considering what the player ended up bringing.

Walia Ibex repped this.
  11. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really want to know why we missed the boat on player values. We were consistently 18 months behind on how much players cost.

yossarian, GunnerJacket and Super Llama repped this.
  12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not saying he only bought cheap, merely that most of his purchases, and especially those after the ground move, we're premised on the idea that Arsenal was getting a very good deal for that particular player. Several times Arsenal may have queued up for a player they truly needed only to back off because they couldn't land "a good deal."

Don't get me wrong. I think many moves were pretty solid and I can envision a scenario where Wenger-ball succeeds if not for a few injuries (Edu, Cazorla...) and if 1-2 guys committed to the program instead of chasing the money. It also has hurt Arsenal that we've entered the sugar daddy era and the Big 3 has become a Big 6. Overall, however, Wenger struggled to develop a comprehensive roster due to his fixation with securing good deals. (Could you envision Wenger getting a van Dijk even if it was the last piece needed for a trophy winning puzzle? I can't. )

yossarian repped this.
  13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    You are hung up on his contract, not his transfer fee, which happens to be the topic of this discussion. Considering the fact that he is third in career assists for Arsenal behind only TH14 and Cesc and ahead of Bergkamp, while he may not be worth the contract they gave him as he was entering his 30s, he has clearly been worth the fee Arsenal paid in 2013.

Tonerl and Walia Ibex repped this.
  14. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I actually don't think we've done a significantly worse job at some of the things you note than our competition in the PL over the past two years, Liverpool notwithstanding. When you look at:

Torreira
    Leno
    Tierney
    Martinelli
    Guendouzi
    Likely Saliba

These are all good purchases for solid prices that have significantly appreciated in value since transfer date (excepting Tierney and probably Saliba). They could either be good core pieces of our team going forward or sold for profit.

We are still whiffing at the top end of the market. 100m spent on the combo of Auba and Laca is a back-breaker to this whole squad formation to this day. 70m for Pepe is looking extremely suspect.

The main problem as I see it is we're still paying off the debts of the club being in an inexplicable "win-now" mode for the five years before 2018, peaking after the Ozil transfer. The moves we made for transfers since that date until Wenger's departure kept on compounding the problems we had with wage scale and age profile in our squad. We sold or let go of how many players over the past two years? And we still have significant dead-weight left: Mustafi, Mkhi, Elneny, Ozil contract. We have a load of money tied up into players that aren't moveable, and it meant losing Iwobi, a player who would be helping us right now, to fund a move for Pepe, because Mkhi and Ozil were not able to be sold instead. When you get locked into aging, expensive players, it creates a series of cascading effects that end up affecting your

There was also the problem that under Wenger, Arsenal didn't develop a single teenager (or even young twenty year-old) into a consistently good player after Ashley Cole--basically fifteen years of no development. I agree with you on that front--our player development has been horrendous for a long time. As AOC's dad pointed out recently, Alex got basically not development at all after joining the club from Southampton, at age 18!!! I'm optimistic that getting even marginally better at this process under Arteta/Mertesacker et al will reap huge rewards for our young players.

15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could have had him. We scouted him at Celtic and had the opportunity to buy him before Southampton but AW thought the 15m-ish price tag was too high. The Saints thought it was fine and then sold his ass 2 years later for 5-6x that.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  16. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    The progress is defensively which he said he would address first because we were hemorrhaging there. The attack Is lackluster and the midfield is still an issue especially when Guendouzi is playing.. but i will support the boss and gove him ample time. Klopp finished 8th his 1st year. This is still an Emery team.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I got ya. You were saying "bargain buy" not necessarily "cheapo".

GunnerJacket repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I wasn't focusing primarily on his wages, but that is certainly a huge factor in the Ozil deal. His transfer fee was about 50million IIRC which in the context of this discussion, or the compared to other prices around that time, didn't seem a "bargain buy" price to me. Of course the valuation of players is such a subjective crap shoot.

And the debate about the value we got from the money invested in Ozil is one that will live long I suspect. I'm one who thinks it wasn't a good deal for us. I've thought that ever since somewhere around his 2nd or maybe 3rd season. But at the time of his signing I was just about as pumped as anyone, and I thought he + Alexis showed such a statement of intent. The air has been fairly steadily leaking out of that balloon since not long after those 2 arrived.

19. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing rumors that we are close to a deal for a 21 yo French DM named Papa Gueye. Don't know much about him except that he has been described as a young Kante which I'm sure is at least a bit of an exaggeration. Deal is said to be for 5m GBP.

20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I posted this in the other transfer thread a while back, but they talk about him as being a good target for us in one of those Tifo Sensible Transfer videos.

thebigman and Super Llama repped this.
  21. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Generally agree with their assessment except our potential needs up top. Have a feeling that we will end up selling both Laca and PEA this summer adding a new ST & LW and using the extra cash to fund some of the other deals.

22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but I believe this video was specific to the January window. They probably assumed (correctly) that we weren't getting rid of Lacazette or PEA in January.

23. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It will definitely hurt but I feel like if we don't get our midfield sorted we wont have the service to take advantage of good attackers and will waste them as assets like we are doing now. At some point we have to suck up the idea of the rebuild and looking long term like Liverpool did. Then we can look back on it and say it was worth it.

24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I picked that up. They allude to this being a Jan plan (DM + CB) with the possibility that we should consider these players beyond that window as well.

25. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree and now is the best time. We should (assuming the FO is competent) be able to get atleast 70m for PEA (even with the expiring contract) and 50-60m for Laca. That would be a nice addition to the kitty. We can spread that around and get some good younger players that better fit Arteta's tactics and long term vision.