Little better but not quite there - 2020 Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What's the opposite of Prince's Antonio Banderas gif?

Tonerl and yossarian repped this.
  2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do not want.

thebigman repped this.
  3. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    if Arsenal are going to take a £60m Barcelona player on loan, I’d prefer Dembele.

Ofori and bandwagongooner repped this.
  4. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Holding? He's seemed fine when he wasn't hurt. He's a home grown player for European purposes. Plus he's in his early 20s

5. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    But apparently Arsenal are also interested in Thomas Partey and Partey himself even said he wants to go to Arsenal if he had his choice of club to go to

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can’t see us spending 50 mill

Ofori repped this.
  7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah I can see Arsenal and Atletico doing it if they do a player swap and Partey goes to Arsenal and someone like Lacazette on Arsenal goes to Atletico

thebigman repped this.
  8. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the why, just what was reported.

9. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing some reports that Luiz's 2 yr contract (that would expire next summer) may have actually been a 1 yr deal with an option to extend to a 2nd season. Those making the claims are also saying that we have yet to pickup the option meaning he may leave on a free when the window opens.

Ofori repped this.
  10. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    David Luiz to La Liga...I can just see it now

11. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    He says he wants to return to Benfica.

If Arsenal had signed Luiz on a season-long loan with an 8m pound loan fee, I think that would have been viewed poorly but it is no different that what they actually did. Not that he was bad as a player, but that cash probably could have been used more efficiently.

I assumed he would start and play a lot, now they might be down to Mari, Saliba and a rehabbing Chambers? Clearly need some new signings.

Ofori repped this.
  12. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #462 chjoak, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
    If they are really gonna let Luiz walk and shop Sokratis, Mustafi & Holding, we are either going to have a major CB overhaul or your gonna see 1-2 of that group reigned back in. Really depends on what kind of deals we can get for a new CB. If we offloaded all 4 from above well will need atleast 2 new and ideally one would be HG or young enough not to hit the quota yet.

Fixing to start seeing a ton of CB links. I know a few options I would target but never thought it was likely we would offload 4 this window.

13. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    David Luiz going back to Benfica I dig it

14. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don't really get the Holding thing myself. And, I always thought Chambers was very well suited to playing in the EPL, maybe not Europe.

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Holding is better than chambers when fit

happy to lose mustafi, sok and luiz if required but we would need a cab that can play the ball well

16. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Lacazette is most likely gone

17. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with Luiz, Sokratis & Mustafi.

Would like to give Holding atleast until Jan to see if he can recover his form. He is still young (25 in Sept) and looked good prior to his injury last season. Worst case right now is he can be an adequate CB to give the starters a rest for lesser matches. But who knows, maybe he is back in training and not looking any better?

I thought Chambers looked really good in preseason and while he is older than Holding (just turned 25 in Jan) he is still young for a CB. My biggest question with him is whether he is best suited for CB or DM (single base #6 in a 4-3-3). Sometimes I think he is not physical enough for CB but I'm not sure he is a good enough passer for DM. May have a slight boost with him. Supposedly he is back training with the team.

Assuming you can unload Luiz, Sokratis & Mustafi, I would be inclined to start the season with Mari, Holding, Chambers & Saliba plus one other new CB. Ideally I would want the new guy to be starting caliber. If Arteta doesn't rate Holding I wouldn't be opposed to him being replaced with another young guy. But if we get rid of our 3 most vet CBs we will certainly need a starting quality guy immediately.

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mari is a good player I think he will come
    Good as a ball playing lcb

19. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed but unless Holding or Saliba step up before the window I think you need someone to partner with him to start next season. As much as I like Upamecano, I don't think he is gonna be an option. After that I guess you need to decide to go with upside or immediate impact because I don't think we can afford both qualities in one player unless we get lucky on an evaluation.

daedalus repped this.
  20. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Mari seems to lack EPL level physicality to me there is a lot of bs fouling in England that I think we don't fully appreciate when accessing players especially defenders.

21. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Could be the club is concerned they may not be able to offload Mustafi, and if 3 CB's need to go, after Luiz and Sokratis, Holding is next on the list. There is also the possibility that Arsenal know more about his injury situation than anyone else, they know it is unlikely he will return to what he was, and they want to unload him before anyone else finds out. Hopefully that's not the case but it could be.

Luiz could also be about unloading his wages. I've seen him listed at the 5th highest earner at the club behind other guys that might be on their way out like Ozil, PEA and Laca. Pepe is also making more than Luiz but I don't see him leaving.

22. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just feel like getting rid of Holding is selling low on him. He only cost like 2m and he's shown that he can be at least a squad player. Keeping him around seems like a low risk-high reward proposition, especially since he counts for the home grown quota.

daedalus repped this.
  23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t see us having a positive net spend of anything more than a few million, for the upcoming window. Hope I’m wrong though.

thebigman repped this.
  24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's plausible. Guess only time will tell.

25. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tend to agree. We don't know the entire story but I tend to prefer he stay. That said, I was pissed that we sold Iwobi. Think he could have been good as a CM/AM in a Pep 4-3-3. He didn't exactly light up the world at Everton (2 gls in 22 app) and his value has dropped a good bit (per Transfermrkt) since we sold him so maybe the FO/coaches knew a little more about that situation then me.