Little better but not quite there - 2020 Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    This was all started by quotes from someone who is a purported friend of both Ozil and the president of the Fenerbahcre Club and includes the following quote:

"When his contract with Arsenal will expire, the favourites would be Fenerbahce. We are also working on that front.“

This looks like Fenerbache are planning for next summer, not this one, when he will be available on a free transfer and they won’t have to compete with his current salary. I could be wrong, but I don’t see Ozil walking away from 350k per week to sign for less, probably much less, than half that number. Either way I don’t see Arsenal benefitting from a transfer fee.

2. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I see him managing Madrid in the future.

3. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Depends on what kind of taxes he would pay in Turkey vs the UK. If he doesn't have to pay taxes or pays a really low rate, Fenerbache could be competitive if they extend him out with a new 3-year contract. Ozil being best friends with Erdogan could have its advantages.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  4. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that article and it was either that or another that was listing those same quotes that also showed quotes alluding to them trying to get him this summer as well. If they can find a way to get close enough to the salary, I'm sure we wouldn't have an issue letting him go for next to nothing.

5. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing reports that we have lowered the asking price to 10m GBP for Miki to accommodate a cash deal for a permanent move to Roma. Roma is supposedly keen to keep Chris Smalling as well but ManU seems unwilling to lower their asking price. Rumor is that Roma may come for Sokratis if they can't work a deal for Smalling.

Given their ages and contract situations, I'd gladly sell them both Miki & Sokratis for 20m.

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah and keep luiz as an option

Saliba is coming in and I believe a decent signing if we can get upamecano

Partey seems likely too

7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read this morning that Leipzig is willing to sell at 40m euro. If we can get rid of some of the excess (Mustafi, Sokratis, Miki, El Neny) I would be really pissed if we passed up such a deal. Hell, why not offer them Mustafi (CB depth) and Kola (current starting LWB is a loan) for Upamecano in a straight swap? We make out a little better value wise but they ultimately get a higher immediate roster impact.

thebigman repped this.
  8. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    The top marginal rate in Turkey is about 10% lower than the top marginal rate in the UK. Since the top player salary at Fenerbache is about a third of Ozil’s salary the 10% tax savings does not look like it’s enough to fit Ozil into their payroll structure. I suppose, as you have implied, Erdogan could intervene and eliminate Ozil’s taxes, but he would have every other club and every player in the league crying foul.

But the bigger issue is that in the pandemic football economy very few teams are going to be making big investments in the transfer market. Virtually ever club’s budget is in red and the only teams making big investments will be those with sugar daddies. A few weeks ago I would have bet on clubs owned by oil sheiks vacuuming up all the top players in the market, but after the precipitous fall in oil prices brought on by decreased demand and an oil production war between the Russians and Saudis, I’m not so sure they are ready to invest in their clubs either.

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    who would want mustafi and kol with their wage demands?

10. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I'm far from an expert on internal Turkish politics (understatement), but since Erdogan is basically a dictator, I was implying he can make whatever deal he wants, whether it is out in the open or under the table.

To your later point, I agree. Tim Stillman summed it up a while back:

If Partey is coming, it is at a big discount because Atletico are strapped for cash, or it is part of a swap.

11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Guys, Arsenal are cash strapped, just announced a loss, and will likely be playing games with significantly less attendance for quite a while. Arsenal are more reliant on gate receipts than most other teams.

The idea that we'll be buying players for significant transfer fees and/or wages . . . well, I'll believe it when I see it.

thebigman repped this.
  12. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    On the plus side, maybe this is the accelerant we need to get Kroenke to cut his losses and sell to Dangote

thebigman and mebeSajid repped this.
  13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    A world wide depression is likely to deplete Dangote’s fortune too, though it hasn’t negatively impacted Kroenke to date. A strange as it may seem, Kroenke’s fortune has increased by almost $400m in the last four months.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/news/arsenal-stan-kroenke-wealth-owner-18207843

I know it’s only football London, but I checked the linked article. The increase in his wealth may, at least in part, be due to the tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires that McConnell and the republicans slipped into one of the Coronavirus relief bills.

14. maskito

maskito Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wal-Mart stock price is up since everything shut down for Covid-19 (most stocks are generally down at least 20%), and most of Stan's wealth is owning the properties where their stores are located.

With everyone working from home, and research saying that many businesses will have people continue to work from home instead of returning to the office, that means Commercial Real State is expecting a big downturn coming out of the pandemic. Kroenke's portfolio seems generally immune to that. My guess is that's where his value is significantly increasing.

The outlier is his massive construction project in Inglewood. That facility is largely dependent on people going out and attending large gatherings for music and sports.

I'm not defending Stan, just trying to add more input to the discussion.

15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing some claims this morning that Inter may offer an Icardi for PEA swap.

16. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    It would be a two for one, Icardi and Wanda Nara for PEA. Irregardless I think I’d do it. He is almost four years younger and nearly as prolific as Aubameyang. He is also much better in the air than any attacker Arsenal currently have on their roster.

17. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he and his chick could definitely bring some drama but if we could keep it from impacting the clubhouse he would be a nice 2-3 yr solution while Martinelli & Nketiah develop. Would also make it a bit easier to flip Laca for Partey.

18. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in favor of upping the drama. At least it will be interesting, which is more than we've gotten for several years.

19. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t imagine Wanda signing off on England.

20. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I hope my countryman Partey does go to Arsenal because he surely could use a change of scenery but also I would suggest a Partey for Lacazette swap. Why? Atletico they want Lacazette and Partey wants to go to Arsenal. Really it is a win win.

thebigman repped this.
  21. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooo.... Wanda Icardi posted a pick of her son in an Arsenal jersey on Instagram

maskito, GunnerJacket and Ofori repped this.
  22. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Mauro Icardi to Arsenal...I wouldn't be opposed to that

23. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted further up this page. Last week there were rumors floating around the media that Inter were interested in a PEA for Icardi swap.

Ofori repped this.
  24. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Being an Inter fan I would love this swap

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club: