Little better but not quite there - 2020 Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone cut/paste the said clause here?

Thanks. I generally try to mitigate my Internet risk by trying to avoid websites that look like they're full of cookies/spam/spyware/etc, or ones where the cost-benefit analysis doesn't look favorable.

Also, how widely known/reported is this clause? By reputable sources? I.e. how much stock can we put in it being true?

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Just goes to show how bad the late Wumger era was.

casoccerdad47 and daedalus repped this.
  3. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    The original reporting comes from a Ornstein in the “Athletic“.

Tonerl repped this.
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, and that has a paywall I believe. I was hoping someone who actually had access to the clause could quote it here. Or at least paraphrase it.

5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    That’s what All the blogs did.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t read the blogs. But just checked arseblog and didn’t see it mentioned in his last week of posts.

I’m beginning to think it’s not so well substantiated. Contract details often aren’t.

I guess I’ll never know what the rumored clause was.

But that’s probably to my benefit. The sooner we’re all done with the Ozil nonsense the better.

So thanks for your obstinance. ;)

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For whatever it's worth, Ornstein reports it as fact. From his article: "Another element that may have influenced Arsenal's desire to shift Ozil in the summer transfer window is a loyalty bonus amounting to around £8 million that was paid to him at the end of September."

8. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #2958 casoccerdad47, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    The bloggers are citing Orntein In the Atlantic as the primary source and they all have the same information, so it definitely looks like it came from the same source. I don’t have a subscription to the Atlantic either, though I am sure there are some on here who do. But I’m not sure how their paraphrasing of the Atlantic article will be any different than the bloggers paraphrasing the article. You are right about contract information not being well substantiated, e.g. the £350k per week commonly quoted probably includes appearance and performance bonuses, so it’s not necessarily a real number. However, Ornstein appears to be one of the best Arsenal sources we have, and even he won’t have the contract clause you seem to be looking for. That type of information is almost never published. If you are adamant about reading what’s in the original source I guess you’ll have to subscribe to the Atlantic.
    BTW. I went back through the thread and there is a poster that said he read it in the Atlantic.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, that's all I was seeking. Time to move on. :)

10. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ‘loyalty’ bonus (it would be called a roster bonus in the NFL) would also be included in the reported weekly ‘wages’.

The total value of the contract including all appearance fees, perfomance bonuses and any other bonus gets divided by the number of weeks in the contact.

The whole thing is dumb.

daedalus and casoccerdad47 repped this.
  11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his pod, Ornstein said these types of loyalty bonuses are pretty standard, especially for highly coveted players (snark aside, as Ozil was at the time we drew up the contract).

The Jitty Slitter and daedalus repped this.
  12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think it's grand how you took seemingly unsubstantiated comments that ainsley maitland-niles somehow vociferously objects to playing defense as gospel - to the point of repeating it multiple times - but this apparently equally unsubstantiated report is suspect.

Tonerl repped this.
  13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wish we had let him go for free now. He’s costing the club a joke amount of money

wenger really lost his mind and that idiot gazidis

ozil was never worth that money

14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    This one may all be on Gazidis. A year or so ago I saw a story suggesting Wenger was opposed to the contract. First and foremost he was on his way out. Gazidis had already brought in his new team and had relieved Wenger of incoming transfers decisions. Sven was the one who brought in PEA in the same window that Sanchez left and the Sanchez swap was for a player Sven was very familiar with. So if Wenger no longer had control over transfers I’d be surprised if he was involved in contract negotiations. When Ozil’s contract was signed Gazidis was almost certainly planning to push Wenger out the door at the end of the season. In addition the contract blew up Wenger’s carefully constructed salary structure and with very few exceptions he was in the habit of selling players that were approaching or had just turned thirty. I also think Gazidis would have been more sensitive to the bad publicity that would have come from losing Sanchez and Ozil within 6 months of one another.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    You can understand why it was included at the time of signing given Ozil's age especially. It encourages him not to leave before his final year, without Arsenal having to extend his contract. I presume the idea would have been to then negotiate one year extensions in the final year, depending on performance - Arsenal have done that before IIRC

The real issue was ever letting Ozil run down his contract in the first place

daedalus repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Good analysis

The real mistakes happened 2 years earlier. Alexis, Ozil and Ramsey should never have been allowed to run down their contracts in the first place.

We should have got 60m+ for Alexis, at least 40 for Ozil, and likely more for Ramsey - or re-signed them

daedalus and super gooner repped this.
  17. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    The EFL window closes tomorrow and Arteta said Saliba is staying. I don't see how Arsenal haven't screw things up with him. If he is dealing with personal issues, then they screwed up by not loaning him back to France. If he needs playing time, they screwed up by not putting him on the Europa League squad. If he isn't good enough for the Europa League, they shouldn't have paid 30m for him last summer.

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He looked ok when I saw him, hopefully he plays some reserves games and Europe etc

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Angel gomes is currently tearing up the Portuguese league and is a central creative midfielder who can pass well and dribble. Would be funny to sign him as he’s ex utd

looks more productive than pogba already. Bellingham doing well at Dortmund as a 6/8 aparently too. Gets the home grown quota up

20. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    considering it is dortmund, do you see bellingham moving for anything less than fort knox and a half?

thebigman repped this.
  21. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    out of curiosity, just reading how relationship between alaba and bayern has broken down. is that someone we should chase?

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Alaba is a guy I can see at city or Barca etc

might be too big of a target for us but I would love him

he can play cm dm rb cb

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    depends really, he’s so young and we don’t k ow what the economy will be like

24. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    I don't think he ever jstified that contract, even from when he first came, but espcially not at his age. Once he quit the German team he had nothing to play for in terms of impressing anybody.

thebigman repped this.
  25. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would love to see him next to Partey in a 4-2-3-1, 3-4-3 or 4-2-2-2. While he spent most of his time playing on the back line at Bayern, he is actually a good CM. Would be more mobile & defensively sound then Xhaka.