Little better but not quite there - 2020 Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arteta telling the media that he has a few transfer plans for the "summer" window based on how we finish (EL, CL, nothing) and outgoing players (both a cash and roster spot situation).

We have 6 players (Ozil, Sokratis, Mustafi, Luiz, PEA & Saka) that will currently go into the window with 1 yr remaining on their contract and it has been reported that we are actively trying to resign just 2 (Saka & PEA) of them.

Current breakdown based on media speculation and my general opinions...

GK - Leno & Martinez

I don't see us doing anything significant at GK this window. Leno is a rock and Martinez has performed well when he has gotten minutes. I'd bet find some competition for Martinez by either promoting from the academy or finding a cheap deal.

LB - Tierney & Kolasinac (maybe Saka)

Hard to say what will happen here. Technically we could head into next season with this same duo. Ideally I would like to see Kola sold and another LB brought in to compete with Tierney. There are rumors of Kurzawa being signed as a FA and given our likely lower funds, I think that is the most likely scenario at this point.

RB - Bellerin & AMN

RB is a bit of a mess. Bellerin hasn't bounced back from his injury and/or doesn't really fit what Arteta wants. There has been tons of speculation that we may sell him but will atleast bring in a RB to provide him competition. This was a prime opportunity for AMN to get more playing time, yet it didn't happen. There is a ton of speculation that he wants to be a MF and has been very direct with Arteta about his desires. If true, I wouldn't be surprised if AMN is sold or loaned this window. Cedric was brought in in Jan but is stil recovering from an injury. He will be available on a free and could be added to the roster permanently. Only other links I have seen the last several months have been Thomas Meunier (free transfer) and Jonjoe Kenny (Everton RB on loan at Schalke). Both would make sense either as competition for Bellerin or in an effort to rebuild the position.

CB - Luiz, Mari, Sokratis, Mustafi, Holding, Chambers, Mavropanos & Saliba

TONS of links to CBs (Upamecano, Boateng, Lovren, Smalling, N'Dicka, Umtiti, Unai Nunez, etc...) in the next window. However as it has been mentioned previously on this thread, it is hard to see us adding another until several are moved. We are rumored to be making the Mari deal permanent and it is widely speculated that Sokratis & Mustafi will be sold. I would also assume that Mavropanos will be sold or loaned. He looked good in his short stint in Germany but didn't show enough to justify keeping him on the roster for next season. That leaves us with Luiz, Mari, Holding, Chambers & Saliba. Still can't see us adding another CB unless atleast one of those 5 are gone. Technically we could let Mari go back, though he has been solid for us so far and the buy option is cheap. Luiz will be 32/33 and on his last year. It would make sense to move him. Holding isn't having a great season but he isn't 100% after last season's injury. Won't be able to move Chambers given his injury this season and Saliba won't be sent out as he shows tons of promise and needs to be integrated into the team. So that means that the only way we add a 1st team CB is if one of Luiz, Mari or Holding is let go in addition to Sokratis, Mustafi & Mavropanos. I really doubt we move 4 CB this window.

DM - Xhaka, Torreira & Guenduozi

This is the area of the MF where we are hurting the most. And honestly I think we could deal with the current CB options if we had a proper DM to help cover them. Xhaka really isn't a DM. He plays deep but can't defend. Torreira can defend but he is so small that he ends up getting pushed around by opposing MF & FW. Duezy has potential but he has to work out some kinks and improve before we can rely on him as first choice. I keep seeing rumors that we are prioritizing DM this window but the only specific link I've seen is Marc Roca and Thomas Partey. Partey looks like he could resign with Atletico so that is one less option. If I had my way I would sell Xhaka and would consider offers for Torreira. I like Roca as an option but after that I am not sure. There are rumors that David Alaba is looking to leave Bayern. I would be really tempted to offer him a shot play MF as a vet option in the #6 role.

CM - ???

Ceballos is the closest we have to a CM (box-2-box) but he is on loan and seems to prefer to go back to Spain. We are rumored to be interested in Clorentin Tolisso who is being pushed out at Bayern. Other than that the options seem limited at the moment. Torreira & Duezy could likely fill in some here but neither is currently a good enough passer to be ideal.

AM - Ozil, Willock & ESR

Ozil is on the last year of his contract. I think we would love to get rid of him but he seems content to ride things out and leave on a free transfer. Willock shows some potential but could really use a loan next season. ESR could be a decent option to take Willock's minutes. His future looks to be at AM but he is versatile enough to play W as well. Seen 4 links so far... Marcel Sabitzer, Nebil Fekir, Carlos Soler & Orkan Kokcu. All could be great options for different reasons but I don;t see us making a move on them unless we change our MF setup (4-3-3- rather than 4-2-3-1) and use 1-2 of these guys as a LCM/RCM #8/10 type MF. However that requires us to first get a proper #6.

W - Pepe, Martinelli, Saka, Nelson & ESR

We've been linked with a number of wings for the next window but unless someone is moved (rumors of considering a large transfer for Martinelli or ESR back on loan) or played in a different role (ESR at AM or Saka at LB/AM) I just don't see us spending any money on the wing.

ST - PEA, Laca, Nketiah

This will be the most interesting to watch. PEA will have one year remaining. We are rumored to be trying to resign but he is said to want Ozil money. Despite his contributions, I would be very surprised if we were willing to give anyone that high a salary until we are CL regulars again. So chances are PEA is sold. I've seen links to Real, Barca, Inter, Liverpool and ManU. Laca has had a rough season but I could see him staying if PEA is sold because the alternative is having to replace him with a vet ST. With the deficiencies in MF I think it would make more sense to run with Laca, Nketiah and possibly a younger ST (Edouard) next season and hope that an improved MF can get the best from Lacazette. If we somehow resign PEA, I think there is a good chance Laca is sold and PEA becomes the starter in the middle vs LW where he has played most of the season. Nketiah has had some flashes. Far from a finished product but I think Arteta keeps him around for FA Cup and spark off the bench. ST rumors the last few months have been Jovic, Volland, Milik and Edouard. I could see Edouard being bought to take the spot vacated by PEA or Laca but I highly doubt the others are truly in play unless both PEA & Laca are sold.

Walia Ibex repped this.
  2. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    RB. I agree re AMN, he appears to have ended up in Arteta’s doghouse so I think he’s gone. For that reason I don’t believe Bellerin will be sold. If you sell both you need to bring in a new starter and a new backup and I don’t see Soares in either role. In addition, ACL injuries may be healed in a year to a year and a half, but a return to full fitness may take longer, so it would probably be wise to see how Hector fits in Arteta’s system when fully fit. The same can be said for Holding at CB. He had a very good run of under Emery before his injury.

CB. “We are rumored to be making the Mari deal permanent and it is widely speculated that Sokratis & Mustafi will be sold. I would also assume that Mavropanos will be sold or loaned. He looked good in his short stint in Germany but didn't show enough to justify keeping him on the roster for next season. That leaves us with Luiz, Mari, Holding, Chambers & Saliba. Still can't see us adding another CB unless atleast one of those 5 are gone.”

Based on Arsenal’s experience with Bellerin and Holding, I doubt that Chambers returns before mid season at the earliest, so I wouldn’t be surprised if, assuming Arsenal are down to 5 CBs including Chambers, ithey don’t add another CB, possibly a young prospect.

CM If Arteta converts from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-3 that leaves Xhaka without a position. He’s not mobile enough to play as a lone 6, or as an 8/10 hybrid in the mold of Silva or de Bruyne, both of who make darting runs into the box as part of Pep’s offense. So unless Xhaka is sold and a player like Partey is signed with the Money from Xhaka’s sale, I think the most likely midfield addition will be a young player like Kocku.

ST. If one of Aubameyang or Lacazette are sold, I’m not sure Arsenal make a move. Striker appears to be Martinelli’s natural position, so there is plenty of backup if one leaves. It becomes more problematic if Aubameyang is the one that leaves because replacing his goals won’t be easy. None of the players linked would replace his output on their own. If both leave, Jovic would probably be the most proven option.

Walia Ibex repped this.
  3. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could be right RE CB. I could see us adding a 6th if we know Chambers is gonna be out for awhile. We can afford the roster spot given the number of U21s that are contributing.

I see your point on Bellerin. I guess the question is whether anyone comes with an offer good enough for Arteta to be willing to start over at RB.

RE CM... I honestly think we need to rebuild the entire MF in order to help fix the defence. If we are gonna rebuild, you might as well change up to 4-3-3 as well. Adding the right guys could help with the replacement of PEA's production as well.

I know I said that I doubted we shop for a wing. However, if we sell PEA and start working Martinelli at ST more than W, I could see us trying to add a scoring W to help replace some of PEA's production.

4. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I had seen rumors on Twitter that

-Bellerin is being looked at by teams in Italy and Spain, but would prefer to go to Italy.

-Torreira is wanted by at least two teams in Italy.

Oh and have we signed Yaya, Ribery, or Ladycakes yet?

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bellerin can go imo

aarons at Norwich looks good and if amn sorts himself out could be good

The pressing concern is auba, if he’s going we have to sell him this next window or he goes mad cheap/free

no idea who I would replace him with u less we go with laca and martinelli

we desperately need a great solid cm and another cb

6. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen rumors for a couple months now that Bellerin was interested in playing in Italy one day and he has some affinity for Milan due to his love of fashion. Most recently I've heard that Inter wants to put in a bid this summer.

RE Torriera, Napoli was said to be interested last summer and they are assumed to still be interested due to replacing Ancelloti with Torriera's former manager. Recently I've read that AC Milan wants to make a run at him but the rumored bid was something like 35m and I have a hard time seeing us let him go for that.

Inter, Napoli and possible Milan have a few players I would be interested in if we would need to do player swaps to make the transfers more palatable but I'm not sure they would be willing to let go the guys that interest me.

7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could quickly fix the RB position by signing Meunier on a free and buying someone young like Aarons or Kenny. That gives us a solid vet (for free) and an young understudy and may ultimately be a net gain depending on how much cash you get for Bellerin.

At this point, if you are replacing PEA, you either need to be looking for a W (since he played the vast majority there) or decide that you are happy with the young guys and use that cash to rebuild the MF. Either option can help replace his production by adding goal scorers or players that make our current guys (specifically Laca & Pepe) more effective.

thebigman repped this.
  8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always like Hector, but even after his return, it was almost a complete loss. Given his reliance on quickness, I worry that he may never be the same. BUT that said, I would give him one more year just to see if he can finally regain a semblance of his peak form. No idea what the length of his current contract is though.

9. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Let's assume AMN has made it clear that he doesn't want to play RB. Arsenal could cash in on him, but I don't see him generating the same revenue as AOC. Ox was entering the final year of his contract, AMN is signed through 2023. Personally, I'd like to see him loaned out to an EPL club that will play him in midfield or on the right wing. He's young and English, I think he has potential to grow and improve his value whether he stays at Arsenal or not.

I have reservations about Cedric and Kurzawa. I get that free transfers allow limited funds to be used elsewhere. But fullback is a very demanding position. It seems we go into every year with 2 LB and 2 RB and by December, they are all hurt and you get Sokratis at RB and Saka learning to play LB. Signing injury prone fullbacks doesn't help the situation.

10. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't a player under control for 2 more seasons command a larger transfer fee all other things being equal?

chjoak repped this.
  11. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My concern with Hector is that he doesn't really fit the scheme. Assuming we are moving towards a system like Pep runs, the importance of a FB with lightening speed is smaller and the emphasis on good defense & passing is significant. Bellerin has never been a great defender but he brought a good bit to table with his speed and crossing in the offensive 3rd. As an inverted FB his weaknesses will be exposed.

12. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be more inclined to loan him as well but if the offer is big enough I could see us cashing out to fund other moves. Really depends on how we view the likelihood that he could come good as a MF.

I tend to agree. Would like us to properly address the position. Just think there are more pressing needs at the moment so a cheap bandaid fix may be needed this window.

13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    From Arseblog:

”After that, let’s see what happens. Will there be the same public appetite to see clubs throw around tens of millions of pounds on players as the wider economy tries to get back on track. The hundreds of thousands/millions of people financially struggling having lost their jobs and businesses are the ‘customers’ of football clubs. Whether that’s as season ticket holders, casual members, subscribers to the broadcasters etc, they’re going to be affected, and so too are the clubs.

There’s also the financial impact on the game and on clubs themselves who have operated in the realms of big money, but in a fairly precarious way. It’s predicated on that flow of cash from TV, transfers, gate receipts, prize money etc, never being turned off. And right now it’s well and truly off. At this point we can only speculate as to how badly affected clubs are going to be, but it’s probably fair to say that what we considered ‘normal’ before won’t look that way afterwards.“

This expresses my reservations about the upcoming window quite well. There aren’t any clubs in England or elsewhere turning a profit right now, so the only clubs capable of significant investment will be those with deep pockets or those with a significant asset to sell. Big teams may reload, but most teams will be trying to cover the red ink with their sales. In this market the best strategy may be buying young relatively cheap prospects.

Walia Ibex and NorthBank repped this.
  14. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    signed thru 2023 = 3 more seasons

Not sure another club will pay top dollar to play him in MF when he hasn't played MF. I think a loan has a good chance to increase his value.

15. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Heard/read that many EFL clubs and other lower division teams might go out of business because of the suspension of play. That players in the top leagues are refusing substantial pay cuts unless the owners keep on staff.

16. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a good stance for the players to take, imo.

Walia Ibex and cooper7d7 repped this.
  17. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Do Leeds go up automatically? Can the FA deny them finally reaching the top flight again?

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah as much as it makes me throw up in my mouth, giving Pool the title would be the easy decision. But all the CL, Europa, relegation, and promotion issues are tough.

19. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Pool were going to win the league anyway. Giving them the league puts an asterisk next to it, meaning the banter until they win one continues :D

Walia Ibex repped this.
  20. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the last couple of days I've been seeing a number of links to RB Achraf Hakimi whose 2 yr loan at Dortmund is coming to an end.

Also seeing some intensified links to Thomas Partey claiming that we have agreed to meet his release clause, meaning it is up to him whether he wants to stay at Atletico or move to London.

21. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Yea the Partey links seem real. But why would Partey leave a more successful club at the moment in Atletico even though we are a bigger club than them. Every player and agents have their own motivation so we shall see. If we do get Partey I'm assuming Xhaka or Torreria is gone. Partey can play the role of a Ferdinadhino, or Tielmans or Ndidi.

I know AMN doesn't want to play RB but now Hector wants to play MF? Wth. I agree with your pinpoint anylasis on our needs. CM, LW and CB are the greatest needs and of course Striker if Aubameyang leaves.

22. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Snagging him could ultimately be the end to both. Lucas doesn't seem to like England/London so he may be gone regardless but getting a guy like Partey allows us to run a 4-3-3 with a #6 and 2 #8/10 players similar to City. If we switched to that formation, Xhaka has no place. His best bet is that we stay in a 4-2-3-1 and get him a partner that allows him less defensive responsibility (which Partey would). The question there is whether his passing is good enough to be an effective DLP? To me, he hasn't shown that in some time.

Where did you see about Bellerin wanting to be MF? I've not heard that.

23. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    I misread what you said, AMN wants to play MF which is well known not Hector lol. If don't believe Xhaka can play DLP his passing ability has declined and you don't have to be the fastest at that role but his lateral speed is severely lacking. I could see him doing well in Italy. I agree Lucas for some reason doesn't like England prehaps the weather, culture or food lol but its clear he isn't happen. I heard some clubs in Italy would love to have him.

If we are working with Atletico Madrid prehaps a forward swap with Laca is in the works. Guendouzi needs to develop into that b2b midfielder role and then we would need to add another CM or 2 for depth.

24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly don't see Xhaka on the roster next season unless we have no means to replace him. We would be better off right now replacing him with an 18yo that is a better fit.

I hate to say it but I would be ok selling Lucas for the right price as well. I like his potential I just don't see where his skillset fits into the system. He fits much better as a #6 in the Italian league. Napoli & Milan are rumored to be interested. Napoli has a bit of a glut at MF but I'm sure they will sell 1-2 this summer and their new manager is Torriera's former manager from Sampdoria. Don't think Milan can afford him so we would probably have to wait for them to sell someone else or agree a player swap.

Walia Ibex repped this.
  25. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    You can't see LT being a CDM in a 4-3-3? He can be a buffer between Defense and Midfield and do what he does best. Allowing the other two CMs to move forward and roam more freely. When he was at Sampdoria he was in a MF three correct?