Listen To Lalas and Leiweke Discuss The Quakes!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by San Jose Earthquakes, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Damn right!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Whether or not he actually means that remains to be seen, but at least judging solely by that quote, he seems to get it!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Again... cautious optimism from me. :cool:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Thou not knoweth such a concept. Thy cup runneth over of optimism. ;)

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Lalas sounds a bit nervous there, especially at first, but seems to get better as he goes. He talked a litle too fast and sort of got caught mid-sentence a few times, trying to find the right words. But you have to give him credit for apparently going up there w/o a script.

He talked along the lines of trying to repair and learn from any damage done to the fan base / community. I wonder if he was referring to the CA debacle, or things that have happened over a longer period of time (or both). I don't know much about the history of the club, but from what I've read here, sounds like the any "damage done" would be more along the lines of frequent changes in ownership / management, and lack of investment in advertising and promotion.

Unfortunately, you can't get consistency in one year or less, so if this is the make or break year, it may be too late for that. But I hope, given Tim Leiweke's comments about not yet giving this community "its best shot as to an organization" means the budget for advertising and promotion is more significant this year. That, and of course a lot of energy around the stadium issue.

As for Lalas, I'm perfectly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point.

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me, too.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A year later, yet mine cup is still here. ;)

Though the cup should have Soccer Silicon Valley boldly engraved on it.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

6. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    He hasn't earned that yet.

7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Huh? The "benefit of the doubt" comment was made when he was introduced as Quakes GM. A year later I think we've seen enough that people can rate his performance to date. I take it you're not of a mind to give him a glowing review.

8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree that it's "put up or shut up" time for Lalas. To this point, I've seen nothing to make me believe that he has done much to improve the performance of this team either on or off the field. The first half-dozen games will rapidly establish the acumen (or lack thereof) of his and Dominic's personnel decisions...

9. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they take it down or something? I can't seem to find it following the above link, or through any links on the site itself.

10. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't imagine they archive those things for a year.

Umm, with regards to AL's performance, do we have to do this again? The Quakes are still here and attendance went up 24% last year. You can say what you want about his style, but it became pretty clear that with Donovan's move out of his hands and Mulrooney's request, they couldn't maintain status quo for the coming season.

Tony

11. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    Yeah I can't find it.

And I wouldn't get too excited about increased marketing budget for a mainstream audience. Their focus will be on soccer players. As a consequence, and like it or not, it's our job to get the word out to the community. Remember, they're losing money. SSV will be unveiling ways to help spread the word, so stand by.

12. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you all see the date on the original post? It was 2004, not 2005. Thanks Goodsport for digging this one out of the archives on its one-year anniversary.

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    GS is freaking everyone out with his anniversary resurrections. It's back to the future...

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the main reason why it's no longer available is that they changed the official Quakes website within the last year and many of their archived stuff got lost in the process. :(

-G

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was our "job" to buy season tickets.

-G

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad I could help. :)

-G

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freaking everyone out or inspiring everyone, considering that many (including some in AEG) didn't believe that the Quakes would still be here on the one-year anniversary? :confused:

-G

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I suspected: Their earliest currently archived audio and video files only date back to last June. :(

-G

19. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As fans it is our job to do anything and everything we can....which includes buying season tickets and spreading the word about our team to anyone and everyone in the community that will listen.

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I'm saying we shouldn't do that when we can, but what are the advertising/marketing people in the front-office being paid for? :confused:

-G

21. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When mlsnet revamped their site, some of the old material got lost in the shuffle.

Right now, it's time to deliver with (1) a competitive team and (2) someone who will keep the team here long term AND with a stadium. SSV gets the nod.

GS gets kudos for digging this up.

Maybe to follow up on helmet's comment, how many of the pledges were honored? Also on tony's thought, the core fans have done everything in their power. It will be up to the front office to get to those people who like the game but don't care for the team here.

Some more word of mouth still goes a long way, but if the team wants to get butts into the seats, they have something called an advertising department.

Just a take here. Cheers!

22. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass

He hasn't earned anything. I'm still not happy that a player from LA is our GM.
    Johnny Moore had heart. He cared about SJ. Our current GM is still making excuses. Gotta come clean on a lot of issues. Thats how you earn respect.
    GO QUAKES!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

23. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass

Great answer.Your best ever. Over the top. Why do people think that its the fans responsibility to put butts in the stands? Yes, help our team anyway we can, but can the marketing team for the Quakes do their job right for once.
    No excuses. :mad:

24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "Marketing Team" for the Quakes don't have a budget, so it's kind of hard for them to do much.

AEG need to do a better job marketing the Quakes. They could start by giving the team enough money to actually get the word out.

gAlexi Lala needs to become a presence in San Jose. He need to hang out and schmooze with the movers and shakers of the city. Hanging out in SF is NOT getting the job done. This isn't an 8 hour a day job, it's 24/7.

While it may not be "our" job to advertize the team, it's clear that AEG/gAlexi have decided that it's less expensive for them if we do it. So sadly, it is up to us.

Notice that our coaches and FO have done no scouting outside of the USA. They've made no effort to sign any foreign players except for Cerritos, who they knew that MLS would pay for. Where's the announcement that Wade is coming back?! They've cut the expensive players from the roster, and yes, they were going to lose a bunch of those guys no matter what, but they have made zero effort to replace them with good players. They've gone as cheap as they can. No trip to Spain this season, we're going to South Carolina. Not to put SC down, but I would rather this team went to Spain.

We need for SSV to come through with investors for us, and that means we need to do our parts to support SSV. I'd love to scream at gAlexi, but it would be a waste of time. Better to direct that energy to something more positive.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark