List of USMNT-prospects we've pushed to cap-tie but ultimately flamed out?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by scootsy, Aug 16, 2019.

1. scootsy

scootsy Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    With the recent news re: Sebastian Soto being contacted by Chilean Federation, I was just wondering if we could put together a list of prospects that we've pushed to cap-tie based on hype, but then their career development didn't pan out the way we expected? And maybe also ones we lost to other federations that went on to be extremely successful?

a la Julian Green and Gedion Zelalam

and Giuseppe Rossi

2. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabian Huerzler and Alex Zahavi

3. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
  4. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I wouldn't say Green flamed out, he's 24 and a regular starter in 2BL. Not the player we hoped he would be maybe, but I doubt he's gotten his last US cap.

Danny Szetela

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  5. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teal Bunbury.

Aron Johansson might be one but injuries were an issue there.

6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Gale Agbossoumonde.

Wagner and Mason if you're old school.

russ repped this.
  7. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Mexico Miguel Angel Ponce was one we missed out on. He was starting for Chivas and I believe he was also getting playing time with the Mexican National team, but then dropped off the face of the earth. He would have been a steep upgrade over Bornstein at the time, but unfortunately playing for Chivas precluded him playing for us.

We also made a big push to get Edgar Castillo but he was never any good for us.

8. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Gabriel Ferrari!

9. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Dest is waiting on a call from The Netherlands...

10. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    William Yarbrough was given three caps too many.

Mantis Toboggan M.D. and CU soccer repped this.
  11. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the "ones we lost to other federations" side, Neven Subotic. Who played for us at youth level and switched to Serbia because Rongen cut him in favor of guys who went on to flame out of MLS. I thought that one hurt the most because we had him first.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source/link?

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  13. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    It was once upon a time extremely exciting when John Thorrington got his citizenship

14. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    every interview he has given for the last month you can find it.

but big picture it doesn't matter they aren't calling.

if anyone knows that dest isn't ready its the dutch national team. they know how weak that league is and how poor the competition he has played against recently is.

dest may be an option but that is many months away if not years.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    PSV? (well I kinda agree, but... ok)

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top of the list.

17. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’d be a fool to accept and get cap tied by the Dutch knowing full well he’s never going to see a meaningful game with them.

18. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vincenzo Bernardo is another one who jumps to mind.

19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    To me, the most notable one is Julian Green. Not so much because he has flamed out. He's still only 24 and might conceivably contribute. Instead, here's a kid who was taken to a full WC. Trained with the best of the NT. Got a few minutes and scored a goal. Did that experience help him one bit in achieving his maximum level? No! He's been disappointing since then. His is the case that convinced me that early caps don't help one bit.

20. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Zelalem...playing in USL. Even before his injury he was trending downward.

21. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Green was a bit disappointing because he was in the youth setup at Bayern, we'd never had a player in the senior team of a club of that caliber before other than Howard's stint at Manchester United, and Klinsmann promised him a spot on the WC roster to secure his commitment to the US over Germany which was viewed as a very legitimate threat at the time. However, failing to make the grade at a top 5-10 club in the world doesn't make him a bust, he's still young and excelling in a league comparable to MLS. He likely has not received his last US cap. We also had Chris Wondolowski and Brad Davis on that roster so it's not like Green took the roster spot of someone more worthy (I do think Donovan should have been on that team, but at the expense of one of those two guys).

Speaking of that 2014 team Mix Diskerud is another interesting case, he was a very good player for us for a few years and deserved to be on that roster at the time but then fell off the face of the earth. That 2014 US team has to be the only team in WC history whose player wearing the #10 shirt didn't see a single minute of action

Marko72 repped this.
  22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's not so much Green's trajectory that is notable for me but that he was the most stunning push we've ever made to cap tie a player. In the end all that drama was for nothing. The push didn't really provide us any truly lasting benefits. IMO, the team would have been much happier with LD over Green but it's water under the bridge now.

bigredfutbol, Marko72 and Gamecock14 repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Carter-Vickers, who got capped right after appearing in the EFL Cup for mighty Tottenham but is now languishing with one of the weaker Championship sides. I know he's 21, but at this point it seems unlikely he'll amount to much.

Jerry Kiesewetter, who was at the time with Fortuna in the 2.BuLi and favored to get promotion at the start of the 16/17 cycle. Now playing in the USL.

Morales, who was about to get capped by Peru at the time, and was playing in the 2.BuLi. He's had a successful career, becoming an indisputable starter in a mid-table Bundesliga team, but not getting called to the USMNT for whatever reasons.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  24. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This list is probably 10x greater than the list of players we lost out on.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Could folks explain why they flamed out? I mean I can search on their wikipedia pages but they're so limited with details on certain of these guys (if they even have wiki pages).