list of unprotected players

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Arelius, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    According to MLS, there are 68 unprotected players, of which 5 have played all 9 years of MLS.

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_...s_mls&fext=.jsp

We already have one of them signed (Jason Kreis). Which of the other 4 would RSL fans like to see on the team:

Brian Maisonnueve
    Cobi Jones
    Jeff Agoos
    Preki

I am a big fan of Preki, but he is over the hill. Agoos seems to keep motoring on. I would prefer to do without Cobi or Maisonnueve. From this bunch, I would take Agoos.

Chances are, with all the keepers unprotected; we will get a very good keeper as well.

Of the remaining unprotected, I wouldn’t mind seeing some of the following:

Ronnie Ekelund
    Chris Brown
    Carlos Llamosa
    Joe-Max Moore
    Joey Franchino
    Sergio Galvan Rey
    Dante Washington
    Manny Lagos
    Evan Whitfield

2. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    How come the Galaxy only left FOUR players unprotected? Do they only have 16 players on their roster or something?

3. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    They have 8 discovery/P40 players.

4. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I would only want 2 of the above...but I should explain why. We will be playing the next 2 years (at least) on the fake stuff, so one thing we really need is team speed (ask a Dallas fan about 2003). Therefore, many on your list don't work for me...

So far, I am thinking:

Whitfield - 5 years of experience, and if I remember correctly, a burner. Not much touch.

Testo - young forward from a team that has too many of them. I didn't see him a ton this year, but he can't be that expensive.

Taylor - Again, a young forward from a team with too many. He seemed to get himself into dangerous positions often. Also cheap.

Saragosa - this is the gem for me. I love his bite in the midfield with enough skill to transition the team quickly. Problem, getting him signed. My thought is, break the bank to get him. Skilled d-mids do not grow on trees and this league has a dearth of them; with him we can afford to find a true #10.

Franchino - Speaking of bite...this is the player you love to have on your team and hate to play against. He is also a team leader. Put youth around him, let him lead, and you also get a potent left foot for dead balls. He will be moderately expensive.

Walker - Speed to burn and inexpensive. This would give us 3 young forwards (hopefully with speed) to pair with Mr. Kreis (should the rumors prove to be true).

Ring - Why not? Third year player so not too expensive, but made expendible by Thorton's return to Chi-town. Obviously knows the league and is competent. (If Keller is coming, don't do it)

On my maybe list:

Trembly - I really didn't see enough of him to know about his speed.
    Scott - another young forward from columbus. Any good?

With these players, we take care of the outside backs, keeper, and the forwards. We also only get one international, and a TI at that. We can look internationally for a true #10, rt and lt mid, and the center backs. Worse case scenario, we can get Agood for the central D, even though this will not be his best surface. If he has some speed around him, it could work.

comments?

5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're looking for a strong outside back, you'd be crazy not to take Alex Zotinca from my Wizards. Frankly most of us at KC were surprised he's not protected. MLS Cup own goal notwithstanding, he's 27, strong, and can also play midfield and get into the attack. I'd be sad to see him gone.

6. Scottt1115

Scottt1115 Member

Sep 14, 2003
    SLC, UT
    Amazing the quality of goalkeepers in this list. I'm almost thinking screw Keller, grab Meola (Walker or Brown), and spend our allocation elsewhere. Keller is great, but if we could get another player almost as great and have a more than serviceable GK, I am for it.

As for the rest:

I'd like to see Selolwane, he impressed me in the fire matches I saw.

We don't want Taylor. I watched enough Wizards games this year to know this. The kid is big and found himself in the right spot a few times, but the Wizards were not exactly an offensive juggernaut and he struggled to find minutes at all.

Besides Nelsen we don't want anyone from DC, unless its strictly from a development standpoint. But I have the feeling Nelsen won't be in MLS next year. No way they woulda left him unprotected otherwise.

Zotinca was a serviceable outside back, but got beaten for speed numerous times on the flank (watch any game vs Beasley or Mapp)

Besides Dipsy, the only other fire player I might take is Countess as a backup (if we grab one of the other goalkeepers early). Colorado didn't provide any help at all, but Colombus offered a couple strikers in Testo and Washington that are interesting. Testo is young, got no minutes and purportedly has a high upside. Washington is old, got Buddle's minutes in the playoffs, and could provide a late game spark. Lagos is also a possibility for a wide midfield spot.

Neither the Galaxy nor Dallas left anybody I would really want.

Rusty Peirce, Carlos LLamosa, and Craig Zaidie could give us some defensive help, but Zaidie is a senior international, which means I'd rather abstain, and probably why NY left him unprotected. I would love to see Vaca in a Real uniform next year, his play is truly underrated in this league. However, I have a feeling that he is predestined for Chivas.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Agoos, Brown or Jamil Walker from the Quakes.

This is going to be some fun for Ellinger. I wish I could be there to see that powow.

7. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    When are you going to change your team to RSL?

8. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Two players are retiring --

http://www.ussocceruk.com/news/?CatTypeId=2&ContentId=1999

Plus Saragosa has his rights owned by a Brazilian club. Other clubs are doing similar things to reduce the chance they wil have players taken from them. DC for example has Ernie Stewart (going to Holland) and Ryan Nelsen (going to england). I'm surprised the Quakes didn't put LD on the list for the same reason.

But there is still a lot of quality on there for an expansion draft, some that come to mind:
    Jamil Walker
    Carlos Llamosa
    Jonny Walker
    Thiago Martins (he looked good when he wasn't injured and as I remember his wages are next to nothing)
    Igor Simutenkov
    Toni Nhleko
    Erick Scott (never got a chance to prove himself, very young raw talent, might be worth a shot but I think he is still owned by his Costa Rican club so...)
    Andy Williams

9. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Real should serious consider Jamil Walker, Rusty Piece, and Henry Ring. Those are all players with some upside potential. Ekelund and Agoos don't have much pace, but they are telephatic. More useful skills in the small Spartan field, and less useful on artificial turf at high elevation.

Good luck in the draft and in the next season. RSL could pick up some very strong talent.

10. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    We are going to have a great team, guaranteed. It's almost impossible for the front office to mess this up, because there are so many good players in that pool. I sure hope that Chivas actually does limit themselves to Latinos, because there aren't all that many in there and only a few are the cream of this nice crop. Seriously guys, this is awesome. I can only count 13 players that I think they should not even cast a glance at picking. We are going to be solid. No wonder the Fire won the Cup in their first season.

RSL, please pick up some of these players:
    Andy Williams
    Craig Ziadie
    Joselito Vaca
    Ryan Nelsen (may head to Europe?)
    Pablo Brenes
    Scott Buete
    Tim Regan
    Jamil Walker
    Brian Kamler
    Dipsy Selolwane
    Eliseo Quintanilla
    Evan Whitfield
    Joey DiGimarino
    Toni Nhleko
    David Testo
    Jeff Agoos
    Ronnie Ekelund
    Alex Zotinca
    Joe-Max Moore
    Nelson Akwari
    Brian Maisonneuve
    Igor Simutenkov

Chivas can have de la Torre and Llamosa if they really want them. Of the keepers, we should pick 1 or 2 of these 5 and I will be very confident.
    Tony Meola
    Jonny Walker
    Adin Brown
    DJ Countess
    Henry Ring

11. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see them give Boucicaut a shot. This guy is small but he's VERY fast. I don't think the Fire ever really gave him enough playing time to see what he could do. He's most likely very cheap too.

12. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
  13. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Rusty Pierce would be an excellent pick up for a bunch of reasons:

1) These sorts of drafts tend to be low on athleticism because coaches will wait around a little longer for the good athletes.

2) He's till quite young.

3) He's a pretty good player.

Here' who I'd look at:

Rusty Pierce, D.J. Countess, Henry Ring, Evan Whitfield, Nelson Akwari, Philip Salyer, Igor Simutenkov, Kevin Ara, Ezra Hendrickson, Thiago Martins, Troy Perkins, Paul Broome, Jonny Walker, Zach Wells, Jamil Walker.

And then fill in the rest the best you can with youngsters and filling needs.

I think my top choices would be Pierce, Akwari, Salyer, Simutenkov, Wells, Jamil Walker.

14. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Damn, he was the best defender in the league.

15. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Weird picks man, really weird. I hope your not some advisor to the front office. You're telling me you'd take Zach Wells instead of Adin Brown, Johnny Walker, Tony Meola, Henry Ring, Jon Conway, Troy Perkins, or DJ Countess? That sounds kind of ridiculous my friend.

16. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Which also explains why he wasn't protected. We already knew he was gone (we've known for the last three or four months actually).

17. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Man, I'm trying to predict the way the draft goes and it's getting really complicated just to figure it out with my own logic much less predicting the front office's logic. First you have to consider the fact that once a team has lost a player to draft, they get to protect another, so you have to guess who they would protect next. You also have to try to figure out if Chivas is going to stick to their Latino guns, which will limit them a lot in this draft if they do. You also have to remember that there is a normal draft coming up, so this draft doesn't have to be focused too much on distribution by position, because they may have their eye on certain draftees to fill certain positions too. It's gonna get crazy.
    I have to also say again that we will have a very good looking team after this expansion draft, no matter what.

18. soylentcbc9

soylentcbc9 New Member

May 14, 2003
    C-bus
    I wonder if we will RSL pick up some players so they can be traded to other teams . . . aka Charlotte Bobcats.

I can't believe everyone on here stating the need to jump on these goalkeepers. Does anyone think that there's a reason that they are unprotected, besides contracts expiring . . . ..

It's easier to find gk because the pool is larger than say for quality midfielders. Don't get hung up on the gk position, that would be the least of the concern.

I also wonder if there will be any other trades for cap relief for teams; oh, all those except the galaxy and metrostars--they seem to have their own cap and can buy players when it sees fit.

19. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brown might not ever play again. Too risky of a pick though he'd be an excellent addition otherwise.

I don't think Meola is leaving KC, he could always retire and you'd have blown a pick.

Walker's hurt and would be a lot of money toward the salary cap, and he frankly played like crap this year.

Among the rest, I think Wells is the best long term player. Was an excellent player at UCLA, good frame. Countess has really struggled, Perkins was never much of a prospect and sort of lucked into some playing time, Conway doesn't do much for me. Ring I think is overrated and doesn't have nearly as much potential as Wells.

Going young in these drafts is usually the way to go. Fire did well with that strategy in 1998.

20. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    I agree with you. They should use their very last pick on one of those good goalkeepers. No matter what there will be a good one left by then, even with the 3 player limit loss/team and the extra protection after each loss. They shouldn't consider picking two GKs I realize now. Here's what I've come up with:

1. Vaca Chivas MET
    2. Williams RSL CHI
    3. Brenes Chivas MET
    4. Ziadie RSL MET
    5. de la Torre Chivas COL
    6. Jamil Walker RSL SJ
    7. Eliseo Quintanilla Chivas DC
    8. Alex Zotinca RSL KC
    9. Carlos Llamosa Chivas NE
    10. Dipsy Selolwane RSL CHI
    11. Arturo Torres Chivas LA
    12. Tony Meola RSL KC
    13. Manny Lagos Chivas CLB
    14. Jeff Agoos RSL SJ
    15. Francisco Gomez Chivas KC
    16. Scott Buete RSL CHI
    17. Marcelo Saragosa Chivas LA
    18. Rusty Pierce RSL NE
    19. Oscar Pareja Chivas DAL
    20. Brian Kamler RSL NE

If I'm RSL however, I would take the 2nd and 3rd best hispanic players as my first 2 picks, because they are the only other really good ones besides Vaca. They should take Brenes and Quintanilla before Chivas gets a chance. Then they can bump Pierce and Kamler out of the picture. I think Chivas will take de la Torre early though, because he's a true Mexicano bad ass.

I also didn't consider the extra protections in this prediction, because it's just too complicated. This is all in hopes that they don't protect the extra players that we want (or at least I want).

PS: This is wishful thinking combined with trying to predict FO's thinking. I wouldn't pick Meola, I'd rather have Countess, Walker, or Ring.

21. blitzzfc

blitzzfc New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Galvan Rey? He was a bust in NYC. (probably heading back to Colombia)
    Moore was good when Steve Sampson was good. (ah, the 1990s)
    Same w/ Llamosa and Lagos. (Hey, hasn't Lagos played w/ almost every MLS team? Ah, the red card king...)

Here is what I see:
    Trembly (Hi, coach)
    Meola (if RSL can't work something out w/ Keller, and because Walker will probably head to Chi. if Thornton deal works out)
    Williams
    Agoos
    Selolwane
    Washington (Yo, coach)
    Behncke (Ay, coach)
    DiGiamarino
    Llamosa (for his experience, much as I hate to say it)
    Whitfield

Trade possibilities:
    Kirovski (Hey, coach)
    Quaranta (Hello, coach)
    Mathis (Park City is not too far away)

Others:
    Worthen (Um, coach)
    Flores (Yay, coach)

Get the picture? The squad will probably look like the U-17's of yore mixed in w/ a few seasoned vets. That's not a bad thing at all. :D

22. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004

If I were a betting man, I'd say Chivas takes either Vaca or Brenes, and then the Metros protect the other. That would still leave Ziadie.

I'd take Williams with the first no question. If they don't Chivas will take him and trade him. I think he'd be a huge help to our team, especially playing with Kreis and possibly Mathis. But even if Ellinger doesn't want him, he's worth a big trade. If Chivas decides to get tricky and take him first, we get JE's choice of Brenes or Vaca, both great players who many teams, including Chivas, would be willing to trade for.

It gets real tricky after the first 2 rounds though because of the extra protection. Here's how I look at it:

Team players I want
    Fire Williams, either GK
    Rapids Daryl Powell, maybe Trembly
    Crew Testo
    Dallas Pareja
    KC Zotinca, Simutenkov
    DC Quintinilla
    LA Broome, Saragosa
    Metros Brenes, Ziadie, Vaca, Walker
    Revs Pierce
    SJ Walker

We're unlikely to get more than 1 player from any team except the Fire and the Metros. KC is a possibility, if they are dumb enough to protect Preki or Meola over Zotinca/Simutenkov. Actually I would be thrilled of we got both those guys. Williams and Simutenkov are the 2 best SI's in the draft IMO. The first few times I saw Daryl Powell I was very impressed, but then I saw him play a real stinker not too long ago. If he weren't an SI I'd want him without a second thought. As it is, I think we might be better off only taking 2 or 3 SIs and finding 1 or 2 more on our own. Same deal with Pareja, but I doubt we'll have the chance to get him.

The GK question is kind of tricky. If RSL really thinks they're getting Keller, they can just take a real cheap one from the draft. If not, there's not a clearly better choice. Walker has a big salary IIRC ad hasn't really earned it. Then there's a bunch of washed-ups or young guys who aren't starting. If they can't get Keller, go for Ring or Brown. If they can, take Countess.

So here's my prediction/hope (in no particular order)
    Williams
    Ziadie
    Simutenkov
    Zotinca
    Countess
    Broome
    Pierce
    Walker from SJ
    Testo
    Sembly

23. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Just noticed something on Dallas' stats for the year. Toni Nhleko, who is unprotected, had 6 goals and 2 assists in 1186 minutes. Kreis had 5 goals and 2 assists in 1703 minutes. Anyone think that either Kreis will recommend that RSL picks him because he knows he's good, or maybe he'll recommend that they don't pick him because he won't want to compete with the same forwards as last year for PT?

24. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    I would take (but this is based on personal preference, probably not the good of the team :) )
    Ekelund
    Agoos
    Vaca
    Galvan-Ray
    Lagos
    Stewart
    Perez
    after that, all's good :)