List of Jewish footballers [R], part II

Discussion in 'Israel' started by MHaifa1913, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Schnorrer

Schnorrer Member

May 17, 2005
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    i got a new ones guys!!!

Preston Zimmerman (USA)
    Club: Hamburg SV
    Date of birth: 11-11-1988
    Height: 1.80m
    Playing: Striker

Jan Rosenthal (GER)
    Club: Hannover 96
    Date of birth: 04-07-1986
    Height: 1.85m
    Playing: Midfielder

Philip Spiegelberg (USA)
    Club: Atletico De Madrid B
    Date of birth: 02-05-1988
    Height: 1.78m
    Playing: Midfielder

it also says in wikipedia that Jordi Cruyff, the son of Johan Cruyff is a jew, but as far as i know, Johan is not jewish, maybe the mother of Jordi is jewish, does anyone know about this guy??

2. Schnorrer

Schnorrer Member

May 17, 2005
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    uno de los arqueros más prometedores del Perú - Salomón Libman - es judío : One of Peru's most promising goalkeepers - Salomon Libman is jewish

http://puenteareo1.blogspot.com/2007/05/tan-solo-palabras.html

well guys after seeing all this jewish playing and thinking the IFA does nothing gets me really angry, actually in Venezuela the federation is starding to call a lot of players who where born in venezuela or have venezuelan parents, the most recent case is about 2 young brothers the Feltschers, who play for Switzerland in the younger divisions and Venezuela still called them, seems like they are gonna play for Vene, why cant Israel do this, DAMN LUZON WAKE UP!!! why dont any of our Israeli mates here send a letter of something to IFA telling about this guys so they can at least be watched and if their are any good play for our clubs!!!

3. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johan Cruyff has long been rumored to be Jewish, but I have never seen any proof whatsoever. In regards to Zimmerman, the Wikipedia entry has a link with proof, so he will be added. Jan Rosenthal is not Jewish, but unregistered users on Wikipedia keep trying to make him Jewish by adding the category. Philip Spiegelberg could just be of German descent, we have no credible proof that he is Jewish (though there is one synagogue in his hometown of Lubbock, Texas).

In that blog that you linked, there is nothing about Salomón Libman being Jewish.

4. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I searched Erik Israelsson and the Swedish word for Jew and found nothing, so we have no proof yet if he is or isn't.

5. IngvarSimferopol

Jul 28, 2008
    please explaine
    Dario Cvitanich, Maxime Nessim Partouche = jews
    may be some references?

6. Schnorrer

Schnorrer Member

May 17, 2005
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    how do u know Rosenthal is not jewish at al?? plus Mhaifa u gotta remember in latinamerica names like this are not commun, and the places were there is a considerable german population that is brazil and argentina they dont use jewish sounding names like this, but rather traditional names, here is the whole comentary

Tanque de Casma dijo...

Gustavo:

De Vladimiro Montesinos como arequipeño era bien sabido - y repetido - por todos. Es más, recuerdo haber hablado con arequipeños que hasta sacaban pecho por su paisano. Cada loco con su tema.

El paisanaje de Abimael con Montesinos también lo he leído y escuchado. Alguna broma he escuchado al respecto de esta coincidencia. Menos comentado es lo de Feliciano, también arequipeño y pariente de Montesinos (ver http://www.caretas.com.pe/2001/1655/articulos/montesinos.phtml).

Sin embargo, sería tonto como señalas querer establecer una relación entre el origen de una persona y su comportamiento.

De todas maneras, hay para el debate saber hasta qué punto es pertinente dar - y recalcar - una información y cuando es puro prejuicio. Tú mencionabas hace poco el caso del asesino de Virginia Tech, por ejemplo. También cabe preguntarse, en un ámbito más frivolo como es el fútbol, por qué no se recuerda que al igual que los Winter, uno de los arqueros más prometedores del Perú - Salomón Libman - es judío.

Me acuerdo de un amigo periodista español que me trataba de convencer que era importante decir cuando un crimen lo cometía un gitano. Según su postura, no era lo mismo decir que un asesinato lo cometía un gitano en venganza que lo cometiera cualquiera por lo mismo. La explicación que daba era que en la cultura gitana estaba muy metido el concepto de la venganza, por lo que era escamotear información no decirlo. La explicación me sonaba a prejuicio puro, aunque el prejuicioso puedo ser yo y para el público español "esa" información sea vital.

miércoles, mayo 09, 2007 4:06:00 PM

7. IngvarSimferopol

Jul 28, 2008
    Dean Furman, the 19-year-old captain of Scottish powerhouse Glasgow Rangers' youth team, arrived in Israel on Wednesday night in what officials at Maccabi Tel Aviv described as a visit to become better acquainted with the club and to explore the possibility of signing on. However, the Glasgow newspaper The Herald reported Furman as saying he has no intention of joining the team
    "I'm Jewish, but I've no plans to play in Israel, certainly not at this stage of my career when I'm enjoying myself so much at Rangers. I'm just heading out there to get a bit of sun, maybe go to the beach and see my family," he said.
    "A good friend of mine is also out there playing with Maccabi Haifa so I hope to catch up with him for a few days too. But that's all there is to it. I'm very happy at Rangers and it's not in my thoughts to go anywhere else," Furman said.

8. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darío Cvitanich:
    http://www.one.co.il/cat/articles/article.aspx?id=94162&bz=6

Maxime Partouche was brought to our attention by a BigSoccer.com user named Avi the French. Later when we looked into it, we discovered that his middle name is Nessim (a very Jewish North African name).

9. IngvarSimferopol

Jul 28, 2008
  10. Schnorrer

Schnorrer Member

May 17, 2005
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    if u know spanish i can give u a link where it says that Cvitanich is of croatian jewish descend...

anways i THINK i have another one for the list, in wikipedia it doesn't say he's jewish but maybe some of our french speaking friends can help us a wee bit!!

Cédric Carrasso (FRA)
    Club: Toulouse FC
    Date of birth: 30-12-1981
    Height: 1.92m
    Playing: Goalkeeper

and the reason i think he MIGHT be jewish
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carasso_family

11. LEY VIC

LEY VIC New Member

Jul 31, 2008
    There is no Paul Kurrant Jonathan Kurrant played for Arsenal1999/2004 Charlton2004/2006 and then moved to Aberdeen July 07 He is starting Loughbrough University in September 08 has been asked to play in the Maccabi team going to Israel 09

12. michmich007

michmich007 New Member

Jul 5, 2008
    it seems that FIFA has set stricter terms for a player to play for a national team:

in order to play for a national team one must hold a country's passport and one of the two:
    1. the player himself or one of his parents or one of his grandparents has been born in the country
    2. the player lived at least 5 years in the country after he had turned 18

these news are a fatal blow to our inspirations of seeing one of this Jews playing for the Israeli NT someday...
    i don't know how Toto Tamuz has managed to follow this terms but this is the situation at this point

bommer...

source
    http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3576446,00.html

13. rct2009

rct2009 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    NY/Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant believe they will keep this. Remember fifa passed a ban on games in altitude...well they repealed it. Im sure this one will be repealed too, its too uptight. If you can get citizenship of another country, then you should be able to play, simple as that, unless you played for your home country before.

14. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    I think that it is more complicated than that. Source (FIFA statutes, pages 62-63; Section VII. ELIGIBILITY TO PLAY FOR ASSOCIATION TEAMS).
    • Article 16 (Nationality entitling players to represent more than one Association), 1.d says: "He has lived continuously on the territory of the relevant Association for at least two years."
    • Article 17 (Acquisition of a new nationality), 1.d says: "He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association."

It might be that the article 17 is only for player who got a new nationality after a certain age (18?/21?)

This doesn't apply to Tamuz since this new regulation was only put in place this year (May?).

15. michmich007

michmich007 New Member

Jul 5, 2008

article 17 seems to include cases such as we are discussing about. most of these Jews do not hold an Israeli passport. on the contrary to a situation in which a player hold multiple nationalities.

although the regulation has been set quite recently it it's validation must be checked whether it is retroactive or not

It is possible that Colautti faced the same problem 2 years ago

16. Regardless of the new FIFA rules, these players are still eligible to play for Israeli clubs and not count against the cap. Plus, couldn't the IFA claim that they should be allowed to play for Israel because their grandparents or parents were eligible for citizenship even though they weren't born there?

17. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what Ran Ben Shimon didn't like about Eyal Strachman, but River Plate doesn't feel the same way. They just signed him after he trialled with them.

18. michmich007

michmich007 New Member

Jul 5, 2008
    the correct spelling is Eial Strahman

19. IngvarSimferopol

Jul 28, 2008
    sacha opinel , French , Ebbsfleet United FC footballer , played football for A.S Cannes , Lilles OSC and Ajaccio in france (Wikipedia, List of Jewish in sport):confused:

20. YossiBenayoun

YossiBenayoun New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    I dont know if anyone has talked about it yet but anybody know if Elano Blumer might be one of us???

Blumer sounds pretty Jewish

21. Schnorrer

Schnorrer Member

May 17, 2005
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    no i saw elano doing that cross thingy when he was subbed

22. michmich007

michmich007 New Member

Jul 5, 2008
    making a cross sign or being non-jewish by religion are not a solid proof for a person to be ineligible to meet the standards of the law of return

see under David Backham etc...

23. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but if they did that and emigrated to Israel via the Law of Return, I don't think that would go over very well. Definitely not with the Beitar supporters...

24. CTREVS

CTREVS Member

New England Revolution
    Apr 18, 2002
    Hamden
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know about Chris Cohen of Nottingham Forest?

25. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely has Jewish blood, but also definitely not a Jew...