Lippi Lines up Friendly with Brazil

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Regency, Jul 3, 2005.

1. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005

Sempre,I am not doubting you,I am just wondering where you got your information of the 5 wins,5 losses,and 2 draws? Please leave a link of where you saw this?

The only games I remember/know/saw on Fifa.com are:

1997:Italia 3 - 3 Brasil
    1994:Brasil win world cup
    1989:Brasil 1 - 0 Italia -Friendly in Bologna
    1982:Italia 3 - 2 Brasil - World Cup Italia
    1978:Brasil 2 - 1 Italia - World Cup Argentina
    1970:Brasil 4 - 1 Italia - World Cup Mexico
    1938:Italia 2 - 1 Brasil - World Cup France

Let me know what I am missing,probably some friendlys?

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  3. LA CURVA SUD ROMA

LA CURVA SUD ROMA BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 24, 2005
    Montreal
    doesn't '94 count as a lost? :(

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    No, officially, the result of that game was a 0-0 draw.

5. LA CURVA SUD ROMA

Sep 24, 2005
    Montreal
    ?? so winning in a shootout is not considered a W on paper? right?

6. IrishGary

IrishGary New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Cork, Ireland
    1994 game 1. i will say no more! :cool: HOUGHTAN!!!!!

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Typically, that is correct, although I think in the FIFA World Rankings calculations, teams do get slightly more credit for a PK win than a PK loss, but not as much as for a regulation victory.

8. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005

Oh Ok,I wonder why Fifa would leave out such obvious friendlys?
    To answer somebodys question,all games that go into penaltys,in the record books are looked at as a draw,in the FIFA world ranking it is given a little bit less points than a regular win as Sue said. But after that WC 94 win it gave Brasil enough points to move into first place (where we stayed for 7 years until may,2001) so it is still a lot of points given.

About the Italia friendly: It is always good to play other "big" football countrys even though Italia is not rated highly at the moment. I think in this situation the tradition of the shirt speaks more highly than Italia's ranking or the moment they are in,when we play countrys like Italia,Germany,England, and so on, it does not matter how they are doing at the moment,a country with tradition can always win no matter what moment they are going through.For example Germany is on a low as far as talent at this moment,but would anybody doubt them in 2006?I wouldn't.

The bad part about this is that historically Brasil do not take friendlys seriously at all e.g Brasil 1-1 Ireland, Brasil 1-1 Germany,Brasil 1-1 Sevilla (the last result speaks for itself). Your coach Lippi I think said it himself,Brasil step up in competitions,not in friendlys. Because of this I don't know what Italia could gain from this game except for a little morale with a draw or maybe even a win,but I wouldn't be worried about this game damaging morale because unless your team plays horribly I don't see to much happening,as is the case in most Brasil friendlys.
    As a lover of O Jogo Bonito,I would personally love to watch this classico,so many great individual battles to look for. But I don't understand how this is going to happen, On November 12,Brasil will play the United Arab Emirates,because of a special FIFA thing and the Arab Emirates will play Portugal about 4 days later. So I don't see how this Brasil Italia friendly is possible for now.

9. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The hell with the rankings !!!! :mad:

Italy hasn't lost for almost a year now !!!!!!!! :cool:

10. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005

Actually,I just ment in the football world today Italy is not ranked that highly at this moment,some performances have not convinced to the level a country like Italy should e.g Italia 1-1 Scotland,Italia 1-0 Moldova,and so on.surely you expect more from a team like Italy?

And I wouldn't make to much of a big deal out of not losing in 1 year,until this last confederations cup Mexico could say the same. Its all about who you play and what qualifying group your in.

11. LA CURVA SUD ROMA

Sep 24, 2005
    Montreal
    I would rather see Italia play argentina,they have always been a tougher opponent to Italia than brazil. Argentina brings it every game especially when playin top countries like Italia.

12. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005

Agreed,Argentina takes every game seriously even friendlys,whereas Brasil does not. Italy would be able to take much better conclusions from a game with Argentina because of this. With that said,a game like this can be very good or very bad,because unlike Brasil in a friendly,Argentina will go all out,and Italy run the risk of having a badly damaged morale after a game with "Los Hermanos".

As far as Argentina being a tougher opponent for Italy OVERALL meaning not just in friendlys,I don't know how you came up with that idea being that Italy always seems to beat Argentina e.g World Cup 78 Italia 1-0 Argentina in there own country,World Cup 82 Italia 2-1 Argentina,friendly 1987 Italia 3-1 Argentina.

Maybe the fact Argentina marks harder gives the impression of a "tougher game"? Anyway your right about Italy would be able to take much more conclusions from a game with Argentina

13. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    This is it this is where wer'e going to show our stuff.I'll keep my fingers crossed.

14. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy-Brazil - the derby of big NTs who don't take friendlies seriously.

Looking forward to it, though.

15. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I doubt that Italy and Brasil facing each other wouldn't take the friendly seriously.
    Sure they could not risk their legs but still in these friendlies pride would have a big role.

One thing is a friendly against Iceland or UAE, another thing is when you're facing a big historical rival.

16. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    We are going to win.We are going to win.nah nah nah nah nah.I hope Italy wins.

17. tdrazz

tdrazz Member

Feb 14, 2005
    i would like to italy and brazil to face off,and i know for myself they will give a 100% effort.

18. LA CURVA SUD ROMA

Sep 24, 2005
    Montreal
    They will because these 2 teams have tremendous respect for one another they always have and always will,nevermind the bashers.

19. Ami05

Ami05 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    California
    I hope Italy scores many many many goals.