Lippi Lines up Friendly with Brazil

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Regency, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Forza_Italia

Forza_Italia New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    mississauga
    i dont no del piero would be good as a reserve still maybe as a starter but i agree about totti hes too much of a distraction

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Brazil isn't too tough. What has to occur is that Italy needs to attack more and erase that defensive mentality.

3. Forza_Italia

Forza_Italia New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    mississauga
    brazils defence is weak thats why they will be beaten by italy's forwards

4. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From the "old boys" Del Piero would still be my number 1 choice over
    Inzaghi, Vieri, Montella etc. :)

5. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    True, the date isn't official.

And no one should be crowing about how Brazil is weak/
    easily beaten.

6. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hate to say it but BRAZIL is still the team to beat at WC2006 and heavily favoured to win it again .

7. Strummerman

Strummerman New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Montreal
    I agree, I wonder what will happen if Italy gets creamed like Argentina? Will Lippi be given the Italian boot yuk yuk yuk

8. Azzuri06

Azzuri06 New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    It would be a great test for the italians if Lippi plays his top players. He needs to start putting those guys into a role where they are used to playing with eachother and knowing their capabilities.

9. Forza_Italia

Forza_Italia New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    mississauga
    thats true and im not sure when but it was sometime last month lippi said that friendlies were important games as well and if any player chose not to play they would be kicked off the national team (unless they had a legitimate excuse like a tour with thier club team or injuries)

10. Jet$on

Jet$on Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Old Blighty
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Not really. If you look at when Mexico played Brazil in the Confederations Cup, they kept a tight defence which proved to be very effective. I agree that Italy have to be more attack minded as well, they would do good on counter attacks

11. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Ms. Lippi from Billy Madison

12. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy has been doing it for too long. For instance, the Azzurri were dominating the match against Sweden at Euro 2004 and they were attacking. Once they had went defensive, they choked. For nations who aren't known to have a great success rate at tornaments, Greece for example, it's OK. For nation like Italy which has so much depth in talented players, it is very unnecessary to play defensively. The Azzurri can play beautiful football but the coaches have to realise that. Lippi at the moment has encouraged attacking style of play but Italy have to do it more often. When Italy won their three World Cups, the Azzurri played attacking football. In the two they lost, they were more defensive but in 1934, 1938 and 1982, sitting on a lead wasn't a number one priority. If the Azzurri don't attack, they will keep on choking in major tornaments.

I've reached 1,000 votes. GREAT!

13. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Your point?

She was weird.

14. Strummerman

Strummerman New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Montreal
    Italy did not play attacking football in 1982. They scored enuff to win and their defence was what won it for them.

However I totally agree that Italy had the depth to play attacking football with the likes of Vieri Totti Inzaghi ADP Montella Zola Signori Mancini etc

15. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's not quite right. Bearzot's Italy--both in '78 and '82--was
    at bottom an inventive/ attacking team. In addition to a center-
    forward, he used a fantasista (Antognoni), and 2 wingers;
    he also got plenty of offensive spark from the magnificent Scirea.
    That in itself tells you that four players had almost exclusively
    attacking roles while a fifth, the sweeper, added the element of
    counter-attack.

Having said that, Italy had, as usual, a strong defensive bedrock
    under Bearzot.

16. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It seems that your knowledge on the 1982 side is limited. Thank you Sempre for giving some insight.

17. Strummerman

Strummerman New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Montreal
    Thank you for that slight- anyways I saw all the games in 1982, and Italy scored 2 goals in the preliminary round- if that is considered attacking football you got me-

It was catennachio soccer or whatever you spell it that won it for Italy-most of their goals were on a counter attack. Against Brazil where they won 3-2 Brazil pressured Italy most of the game- but the counterattacking of Scirea and Conti and the opportunism of Rossi is what won it for them. However if it was not for the likes of Gentile and Zoff you could forget about Italy winning- This tournament is really where Italy was tarnished with this reputation for playing defensive soccer- you can continue now with the slights

18. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes it was catennacio at its best but by today's rules Italy wouldn't of even got out of the first round.

NO..... 1982 was NOT attacking soccer by any stretch !!!!!!!!

19. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Measured against Brazil of '82, every team is defensive.

By Italian standards, though, Bearzot's Italy teams, especially
    in '78 and '82, were attacking and skillful, with lots of play
    on the flanks and the use of a fantasist, in addition to the
    runs of Scirea from the back. Certainly Zoff, C. Maldini, and
    Valcareggi were less attack-minded coaches . . .

20. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Catenaccio is the proper spelling. After the first group stage, Italy played attacking football and that's when they started to lift their game. As Sempre has pointed out, most teams are defensive to Brazil 82 but compare the way Italy played in 1982 since the Argentina match and the way Italy went forward in the days of catenaccio and there's a difference but I don't think you have the ability to notice it.

Honestly, Strummerman, I'm not going to listen to what you're saying because your responses are vague and I don't think you have paid attention to the matches in 1982 carefully. Have you seen any of these matches an a tape or something since 1982? I don't think you have any Italian heritage in you. You just seem to be a degenerate who listens to too many anti-Italian comments, has been sucked in too many times and it doesn't seem like there's any real merit in your comments.

21. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you being sarcastic? :confused:

22. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Also the runs from Cabrini. What springs to mind is that, Cabrini scored against Argentina and he crossed the ball to Rossi in the clash against Brazil for a 1-0 lead after five minutes.

23. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The hole that I see coming from Italia nowadays and has been for a long time is that Italia don't have and haven't produced brilliant midfielders and attacking midfielders to boot. What we produce in midfield are robots...bloody robots! and still for the genius that we are at our game we still can't produce this simple quality.

Everybody says we should be or should play attack minded football....well, I say we produce some of the most dangerous attacking forwards in the world....our football is attack minded and on top of that we are masters of the counter attack ( italia is above and beyond genius ).

Where we suffer and do we ever suffer!!!! is in Midfield - unless we loosing up on the tactics a little , our controlling nature/tactics will stifle our game as long as we play.

Brazil have and will always produce brilliant playmakers and attcking ones at that..... Italia should look to Brazil as an example...... Brazil are playing on a completely different level of Football, and this is why they are 5 times world champions and have been the most consistent nation in the world !!!! France won the world cup.....what happened afterwards? Did they earn your respect - absolutely NOT!!!!! ( in my opinion that World Cup in France was FIXED!!!! - but, thats a different conversation altogether )

Italia have a very good coach who understands the game very well and he has the respect of the players which will add a lot of play to our game!

Italia World Cup Champions 2006!!!

24. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto
    I fully agree.....However, I don't call them robots instead I call them absolute butchers out there because they are hacks.....especially players like Zanetti. I still cannot believe he was in the last 2 big tournaments for Italy. :rolleyes:

25. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree... Robotic Butchers! This is the main reason we never see Italia sport an exciting game....it's always a nervous nail biter! In stead of having exciting intelligent creative playmakers - we have ball pushers.....Robotic Butchers.

I blame the coaches and the Italian system! for all the genius we have brought to our game...like I said before we still can not produce this simple quality - which would add so much brilliance to our game and passion ...Lord L'Italia - yes master..... RISE!

Viva L'Italia!