Lionel Messi to MLS?.. The Saga Starts Part 1 [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Kaitlyn, Mar 27, 2023.

1. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    I'm watching it on a pirate website. You can tell it's the first game of the season. Inter obviously are the ones controlling the game. Messi is looking pretty lively. Suarez not much. RSL didn't even get a shot on goal in the 1st half.

2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how was the refereeing? Center Cristian Campo Hernandez with Alan Kelly as VAR (how long has that guy been retired ??!!!)

- - - -
    i didn't realize the season had already started tonight!

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Game totally turned around in the 2nd half - it was played almost entirely in Miami's half, and they had several bad giveaways well into their own half. Miami is lucky to win that one.

Not too impressed with:

- Suarez - looks slow and blew some chances
    - Luna - also looks a bit slow and got pushed off the ball at times
    - Arango - spent the game blowing chances and getting mad at his teammates

4. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    Yea second half RSL came out looking to tie right away. I was very surprised at how bad RSL played. Couldn't figure out what Mastroeni's game plan was. Luna was trying to be the playmaker I guess, they're definitely missing (like us) an attacking mid. Very disjointed. Miami came out very flat in the second half & you're right Jazzy that they were very lucky not to get scored on.
    Typical 1st game of the season. Ours won't be much better I think. Miami will get owned on the road if they continue to play like last night. Both teams turned the ball over to many times. Very sloppy play....but hey when you have Messi on your side anything is possible I guess. Messi & Suarez both had assists. Suarez will definitely score once they get going trust me. He had a couple of chances, one at the end that Mcmath saved with the tip of his foot or it was going in.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1831 JazzyJ, Feb 22, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    Yeah first game of the season, lots of sloppy, nervous play. And yeah I expect our game to be the same. I do think it’s an advantage having played at least 4 games against MLS competition in preseason. Espinoza mentioned the value in that in his interview.

That new dmid Miami signed will probably help a lot with their defense. Busquets is not going to be flying around winning a lot of balls in Miami’s half. I thought I heard Twellman talk about Gregore as a guy they’re waiting to get back from injury but I may have been mistaken. He was transferred out a few days ago. Miami was supposedly in all this trouble with the cap. Did the Gregore transfer fix it all? Honestly it’s to the point that if Miami was out of compliance I could see MLS looking the other way.

7. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    I believe they got rid of 3-4 players. Gregore got transferred. A young academy player I think also got loaned out to usl or something. Yesterday they bought out the french guy Jean and I believe someone else also left.
    But yea, there's so much hoopla with Miami and the the world's eyes upon them that I could see the league letting them get away with some stuff unfortunately.

8. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    I found the referring pretty good. Maybe a couple of calls that could have gone either way but overall they let the game flow and weren't to involved to the point that they become center stage many times. Can't say anything negative really.

mjlee22 and JazzyJ repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hilarious

bostero24 and JazzyJ repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Based on what I saw the other night, Yedlin is now one of Miami's worst players.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this isn't quite what that article is talking about, but:

MLS rosters: Plans advancing for “potentially increasing investment”

14. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched the highlights of Messi’s 5-0 win over Orlando today.
    OMG what Suarez and Messi are capable of is pretty scary but beautiful soccer.
    I guess it’s good that we’re not playing Miami this season, would just be an embarrassment.

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes can embarrass themselves just fine without playing against Messi and Suarez :thumbsup:

16. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I guess you have to a former Barca player to attend?

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Either that or be Will Smith. :)

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Deandre Yedlin posted to his Instagram after week 1 a photo showing him giving a pregame speech to Messi/Suarez/Busquets/Alba as their "leader"... the day after their big week 2 win he was traded out of Miami for a mere $170k:

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Are they still working on roster compliance? :confused: Or preparing for more moves? Bummer for him. He goes from his dream team - playing with Messi, Suarez, Alba, and Busquets to playing with Corey Baird. Cincinnati does have Acosta though and they are a good team. Maybe he'll get revenge.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had to hit roster compliance earlier than most since they played on Wednesday before opening weekend.

I'm pretty sure the thought process is this:
    current midfield is Gomez-Busquets-Gressel
    they've added Redondo who will certainly be starting in the midfield
    Gressel is creating chances, move him from midfield to his other position right back
    Yedlin becomes superfluous, trade him and use that money to reinforce elsewhere

bostero24 repped this.
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Technically, yes.

22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the last few weeks they cleared out #s 4 5 6 and 7 from this list off their books:
    https://capology.com/club/inter-miami/salaries/2024/

4. DeAndre Yedlin
    5. Jean Mota
    6. Gregore
    7. Corentin Jean

they're still adding and subtracting pieces... hey the Quakes should try that!

[EXCLUSIVE] Matías Rojas is a new reinforcement for Inter Miami. He arrives as a free agent after leaving Corinthians due to non-payment.

23. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf

Matias Rojas is exactly what we needed (ACM) AND he's going to Inter for free! Obviously it's got everything to do with Messi & living in Miami.
    Anyways, Rojas just a yr ago was considered the best midfielder in the Argentine league. Moved to Corinthians but apparently they're behind on paying him so the contract got terminated.
    What a missed opportunity....most likely he wasn't interested in coming to the Quakes.
    Is anybody interested!?!

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better midfield?

--Skahan-Yueill--
    ------Gruezo------

----------Rojas----------
    --Redondo-Busquets--

Close call... we don't play Inter Miami so I guess we'll never know!