Linux: never better than Windows

Discussion in 'Technology' started by noaihmtch, Apr 19, 2006.

1. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    tell me one thing that Windows can't do AND everybody envies mac and linux users. hahaha kiss my ass fanboys

2. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Windows can't put out secure products. Linux, Mac and *nix OS are more stable, secure and flexible.

Drink some more Kool Aid:
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1956072,00.asp

As far as browsers on linux, there are many choices:
    Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, Galeon, Dillo, Lynx, etc..

Hell you can even run Internet Exploder via wine, but why would anybody want to?

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may be sadists....

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sir are an idiot... Mac users can choose from Safari, Firefox, Camino, Shiira, Mozilla, Sunrise, Flock, KidsBrowser (made for kids), OmiWeb, Webstractor, iCab, iSurf, Opera or even that piece of crap known as IE (WORST browser for a mac).

Lets not forget all the programs that have their own browser built in, like NetNewsWire etc.

You can see a good list of the different browsers for Macs here.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

AOL even has their own crappy version of IE. (At one time, BS recommended that AOL users download a browser to use instead of AOL's, but that's another story.)

IE WAS made for macs at one point, but development stopped.

INTERNET EXPLORER FOR MAC NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD
    Accordingly, as of January 31st, 2006, Internet Explorer for the Mac is no longer available for download from Microsoft. It is recommended that Macintosh users migrate to more recent web browsing technologies such as Apple's Safari.
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/internetexplorer/internetexplorer.aspx?pid=internetexplorer

"more recent web browsing technologies"
    Microsoft admits that their browser is outdated??

And I can't wait for the disaster known as Vista to be released. Broken promises, features cut out, features scaled back on, etc.

IE7 already has a horrible GUI. They could have used Firefox's abilities to rearrange tabs or completely get rid of the tab bar (whatever it's really called...) but for some reason decided not to.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like you'll have to wait a little longer. A lot of rumors going around that it'll be pushed back to March 2007 at the earliest.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew 2007 for sure. Of course, if Microsoft was smart, they could use that additional time to make it more secure, less vunerable, etc. but they probably won't. It'll probably end up backfiring. Code gets leaked, the wrong people get their hands on it and more viruses might be created.

(Did I hear something about when XP was released, there were already several XP-specific viruses waiting for it or was that another OS?)

8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If they are delaying it, it means they need more time for the base features. There's no time to add new stuff.
    No one needs to leak anything. Right now there are tens of thousands of developers with Vista beta, all legit (although what they do with it might not be). Heck, as a student in community college taking a computer related course, I can get a legal beta copy of Vista right now for $10.

9. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $10 wasted in my opinion. Go buy some beer, you'll enjoy it more!

10. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    it's not like he wasted his money on stupid moc mini or any other garbage from apple

11. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats so cute that some people still use PCs

12. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty of people use personal computers. They just have to learn to start running a real OS like linux instead of that pile of goo from Redmond.

13. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when my wife first installed Linux on our old computer like 5 years ago. I had no idea what to do. I was asking her "how do you get on the internet" and it was like click a foot or something and she said it like it was actually an intuitive thing... like everybody would know to click a foot to go on the internet.

Thank God for Macintosh though.

14. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OS/2 Warp!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

~worm~

15. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What "click a foot" thing?

Perhaps she was running Gnome, and the foot icon on her desktop represented either the Galeon or Ephiphany browser.

Gee, clicking on an icon is soooooooooo hard. Better stick with your mac! ;-)

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My next computer purchase will definitely involve setting up a Linux system. Till then I'll survice on my ThinkPad.

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the second article:
    Another issue with the User Account Control is that it is incompatible with popularly used anti-virus applications from companies such as Symantec and McAfee, forcing customers to wait until those firms have rewritten their products to mesh properly with Vista.

Of course, M$ would LOVE it if you would buy their bloated stuff, but isn't 3rd party sometimes better? (or in the case of Firefox, actually recommended by the US government?) ;)

From the security article:
    "Vista's new security features will make for such a disruptive user experience"

Due to security concerns, your computer will not turn on.

18. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I didn't get it, but $10 for the complete 2005 .NET development suite was a steal.

19. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a bumper sticker just waiting to happen.

20. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    you want to install a full set of virus all over your brand new harddrive!?!?!? no!!! stop it before it's too late. don't infect your brand new system with linus torvalds's offsprings. just split a partition on your old thinkpad and dual boot the garbage with Windows in case (and you will)you regret and have to go back to Windows again.

21. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    hahaha just because your favorite os still doesn't get much attention after 15+ years of its pathetic efforts, you can't force us Windows users who have much better and confortable life and computing experience to switch to some garbage that, without doubt, will put all of us into misery.

22. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Eh... if Linux was any good, people would be willing to pay for it.