Link to this week's column (10/14/03)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by imp65, Oct 14, 2003.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Perpetual" is not a synonym for "three years." I'm talking "forever." Honestly, I've got a better shot at getting a hummer from Jessica Alba than some of the teams in the Premiership ever will have of winning the title.

Is that what you want? Not me. I'd rather have a league where the difference between teams is razor-thin, and almost everybody's got a shot at the title. That's exciting.
    Oh, please. I'm hardly a Metros apologist, but MLS is definitely not rigging a USSF competition. Well, not any more than they were rigging it when the Rhinos were playing most of their Open Cup games at home or when the Burn won the '97 Open Cup while playing every single game on the road. Was it a league conspiracy when Chicago hosted both Open Cup finals that they've played before this year?
    monster addressed this point, but you need to look more closely at some of the salary-cap casualties in the NFL. It's become a yearly rite of the NFL offseason that stars on the downsides of their careers get let go or traded for salary cap reasons. Just ask Junior Seau, Emmitt Smith, or Bruce Smith.

And if you don't think the NFL has parity then you should explain the following list:

2003: Tampa Bay
    2002: New England
    2001: Baltimore
    2000: St. Louis
    1999: Denver
    1998: Denver
    1997: Green Bay

Six different champions in seven seasons. And if broaden the scope to the all the 14 finalists over that period, then you've got 11 different teams.

2. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Good luck. ;)

Teams are just happy to be in the Premiership period. A totally different system than in MLS-in the Premiership the $ each team brings in is related to what the owner spends on the team

I'd rather have a league where the difference between teams is razor-thin, and almost everybody's got a shot at the title. That's exciting

Exciting to you, not me. I want the opportunity for DC United (or any other team in MLS) to stomp on the Metros for all eternity. I hope we make Mathis crazy, and their fans hate us. I want you and your Burn fans to hate us, every fan, from every other team

The good news (to me anyway) is in the offseason MLS decided to let teams become more autonomous. At least that's what was reported. That means Ray and the organization has more room to make DC better than any other team in MLS. Ray would be unhappy, I would think, if he wasn't allowed to try to make his team better than any other MLS team

3. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Actually, for all the talk about "for the good of soccer in the US" I believe they'll shut MLS down the second they don't believe they'll ever see a return on their investment. Just like a corporation.

They investors have just chosen a long time horizon in this case because the payoff is so freaking huge if/when it catches on.

Any idea what the guy who owns NASCAR is worth today?

4. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to a list of Florida's richest people; James and William France are worth $1 Billion .. making their money both from NASCAR and the Daytona International Speedway.

Could they invest in a Florida soccer team? :)

ECM

5. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    If they were trying to, they did a really bad job. ;)