Lineups, Formations, Tactics, Stats, etc.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Jul 18, 2017.

1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Now that Kashia has his green card, I expect to hear that Rios is being signed this week.

My expectations of Fierro and Rios are something between Lopez and Espinoza. If I’m right, that means when all players are healthy there will be some really good players left off the game day roster.

Likely bench:

Tarbell
    Cummings (or Kashia if Cummings starts)
    Fierro (back up for Espinoza and maybe TT)
    Rios (backup for Eriksson and possible 2nd striker)
    Salinas (backup for Vako or maybe Lima at left back)
    Hoesen (back up to Wondo)
    Judson (backup to Godoy or Yuiell)

That means no Lopez, Paul Marie, Affolter, Luis Filipe or any of the kids.

Scott Rohde repped this.
  2. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I don’t see Judson as a backup for Yueill though. They are totally different.

3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I think Almeyda would just move Godoy up to box to box mid if he replaces Yuiell and play Judson deeper.

SoccerMan94043 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  4. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think we may still see Lopez or Paul Marie on the bench to cover the outside backs. I don't think Fierro is a defender. The outside backs are probably the most physically taxing positions in Almeyda's system and I think he has made more in-game subs in those two positions so far.

It is certainly a good problem to solve with a deeper bench.

5. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I agree. When the attacking wingers are fast or when they get subbed in the second half, Almeyda needs to have fresh outside backs. In this system, a gassed back is a 1v1 with the keeper.

6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Yes, but Almeyda tends to like players who could cover more than one position on his bench (with the exception of striker). I can see Salinas going in on either side as a winger or fullback. It’s said that Fierro can play up to 7 different positions. Lima has played on both sides as well.

Lopez has only played one position and if you don’t start him than you are limiting yourself to only using him for the left back sub. What players would be left off for Lopez or Marie? Salinas? TT? Lima?

7. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I would probably alternate Lopez as a starter. When he starts, either Shea or Lima misses the bench. Lopez is young and needs his games to develop. I honestly think we should sell Lima if we can. The team isn't a good fit for him right now and his value is about as high as it will get, in my opinion. Or we get a target forward for him to lob crosses to. I know he made a beautiful pass to Vako for the goal on Saturday, but that isn't his normal MO.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I can see Almeyda leaving off Lima or Tommy from the game day roster every now and then to start Marie or Lopez. He’s already done it once with Tommy.

9. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Maybe I have to adjust my opinion of Marie? I think he is decent, I am not sad to see him on the field, but I don't see him as a long-term piece for the Quakes. He is already 24 and has only a few MLS appearances. But mentally I am not trying to get him starts to develop. He gets starts when other guys need to rest, that's it. Lopez needs to develop. Lima needs to develop (though closer to the final product). I think with Fierro and Rios, Shea might be on his way out, too, though I think he has more than earned his playing time, so he'll continue to get some. For once the Quakes are going to have as much drama about making the 18 as the 11!

10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Yep, I recall someone on these boards saying the team was talented but the drop-off when subs had to be made was too much to be Champions. I don’t see that at all. We may have one of the deepest benches in MLS now.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How quickly things change... from 2014-2018 we consistently had one of the worst roster in MLS, both in terms of top level talent and MLS quality depth.

12. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Apparently the way to remake your entire roster, including the deprth, is get a coach who understands how to make a plan that doesn't require heroics, but instead requires buy-in, proper training, and confidence. A coach can manufacture buy-in, training, and confidence. A plan that requires exquisite skill falls onto the GM to provide.

13. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I mean, that doesn't really sound like a plan at all. GMs are always trying to get the best talent available to them. That's one of the key facets of their job. Given that in MLS it's pretty difficult to stockpile an entire team of players far and away above the rest of the teams. So I think you're always going to require a coach that knows how to motivate players regardless of their place on the team. Otherwise, why have a coach at all?

14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lazlo325 and don gagliardi repped this.
  15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes lead the league in shots with 523, and are second with shots on goal with 175.

LAFC are just behind us in shots with 520, but, lead the league in SOG with 202.

We are 4th in goals scored with 48.
    We are 17th in goals against with 44.

Quakes also lead the league in corner kicks at 199, with Seattle second at 171 and LAFC third with 170.

We are dead last in one category.........penalty kick goals with 1, and pk's awarded with 1.
    The next lowest awarded is Seattle at 3.
    Atlanta, LAFC, and SKC lead the league in pk's awarded with 9 each.

Carlos Vela has scored 27 goals, 7 being pk's.
    Chris Wondolowski has 13 goals, with 0 being pk's.

Give Wondo 7 pk goals and take away Vela's 7 and they are tied at 20 goals each.:)

Quakes05, don gagliardi and JazzyJ repped this.
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't even know there was a new rule in effect...

17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe they were in effect during the women's World Cup. MLS will implement then for the 2020 season.
    And we played under the rules for our friendly against Real Vallodolid.

hc897 repped this.
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how much the Quakes front office keeps up with this stuff...

Boysinblue and markmcf8 repped this.
  19. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of that looks really useful. I don't have time to look at it all right now, but I'll look later. Thanks!

And I expect that someone in Quakesland is looking at this. Probably Leitch and Jesse at least, probably Bruno too. Almeyda and his coaches are probably looking at a similar analysis in Spanish and probably focused on Latin American leagues. (And I still want us to sign guys from Saprissa or Alajulense.)

GO Quakes!!

- Mark

20. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Looks like a picture of my liver...

21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, we’ve been playing a 4-4-2 in preseason. Do we think that will continue into the regular season? And if we play a 4-4-2, I think that will be better for Wondo, but it’s going to hurt our midfield. And if we mean to play a 4-4-2, why did we buy Judson? The only way to get Judson and Jackson on the field together is like this:

- - - - - - Hoesen
    - - - - - - - - - - - Wondo
    Vako - - Jackson - - Cristian
    - - - - - - - Judson
    Lima - Alanis - Flo - TT
    - - - - - - - - Vega

Which means no Magnus. I’d be shocked to see that. Are we going to play Jackson at the d-mid role and leave Judson on the bench?

Or are we going to go back to our more customary 4-5-1?

Thoughts?

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

22. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought our usual formation was 4-2-3-1?

---------------Wondo-------------
    Vako-----Magnus------Espinoza
    -------Jackson-----Judson-----
    Lopez---Flo----Kashia----Tommy

23. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Hi Mark,

I have read that we are going with a 4-4-2, which means Magnus is on the bench, should give us more goals though, I think have Hoesen and Wondo up top gets us more goals.

Puts pressure on both though to play a lot of D.

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Starting lineup today against Reno: Hoesen and Rios up top and Magnus in advance center mid, with Yueill in deeper center mid. Vako and Espinoza on wings. Kashia and the new guy in central defense, and Tommy and Lima at fullback. Vega in net.

Wondo was on the bench.

25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t play Wondo too much in preseason. No point risking injury. He’ll be ready to go on opening day. Also, Matías needs to see what Rios and Hoesen have to offer. So this is reasonable.

Also, Flo is going to start in central defense, so he may be evaluating which of Kashia and Oswaldo is the best.

I just find the switch to 4-4-2 interesting and odd.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark