Lineups, Formations, Tactics, Stats, etc.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Jul 18, 2017.

1. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I enjoyed Warshaw's take, but I think the premise that man marking will pull a defender out of position or space 100% of the time isn't quite right. That might have been the case when we started our run, but it definitely looks more nuanced now with more communication and trade offs. The fascinating part for me is how the players have improved their collective defensive awareness and communication throughout the season...now that everyone is on the same page, they can fine tune and really dial it in.

I think Warshaw is spot on regarding the potential for teams to sit deeper against us. RSL sat back and it made the game difficult for us. We're not set up very well in the attack to cross into a packed box from open play...were not built for that and it would be nice to at least have a tall target forward option on the roster.

2. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Agreed on this point. People are still focusing so hard on the person-marking scheme. Sure, a player might follow you around for a bit, depending on what's happening, but a center back is not going to chase you back to the defensive line and back again for 90 minutes. There are hand-offs all over the place and there seems to be a more concerted focus to make sure that players like Vako and Espinoza are in spots to receive the ball in dangerous positions. That's not possible if they are forced to follow their mark all over the place.

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    joebarnin, nivla and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  4. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    xbhaskarx repped this.
  5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warshaw provides a good analysis and I think his point on NE using a middle block is correct, but other than bunkering and counter attacking, I'm not sure any other system would work. NE system worked at the time, but Quakes are playing too well and have figured out how to attack from multiple locations on the field.

6. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think we were missing Espinoza for the NE game...at that point in the season, it was a major difference for our attack. I don't know how valid it is for him to draw conclusions for how teams defend an Espinoza-less Quakes.

MtnGardener repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And for DC, five or six weeks later, but they coped much better without him then.

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8, Sactown Soccer and Earthshaker repped this.
  9. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #1034 NedZ, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    I j just took a quick look at the MLS stats page. Apparently, the Quakes are the only team in the league right now with zero PKs awarded. The season is about 2/3rds complete. The average-for-all-other-teams looks to be roughly 4.5 PKs taken per team.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/stats

markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good thing Wondo’s not depending on it to break the record.

Back in 2008 Quakes were not awarded a PK until final moments of the final game.

NedZ and markmcf8 repped this.
  11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that Almeyda's system and formation is not my favorite, however, it's working, so I love it! Our movement on and off the ball is hugely improved this season. Our team defense is hugely improved. We're better on throw-ins, better on corner kicks, better on free kicks, all things I've complained about for years.

I'm pumped to see Wondo and Shea having good seasons, and I'm gobsmacked to see Eriksson having a good season. Vako having a good season is what he gets paid for, and he ought to have a good season. It took him a while to get into the swing of Matias' scheme, but he's hitting on all cylinders now.

Go Quakes!!
    Beat LA!!

- Mark

12. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There's the difference between us - I have to look it up while you have it etched on your cerebral cortex! :notworthy:

13. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're playing the most attractive, attacking soccer in the league along with LAFC. What's not to like? It's everything I've always wanted... thanks Santa!

tenfourteen and MtnGardener repped this.
  14. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And don't discount the effect of seeing Fierro signed, knowing he plays the same position.

15. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Santa Fioranelli.

don gagliardi repped this.
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No, I have a painting I commissioned of the PK. :)

Shea Salinas painting.jpg

shea salinas PK TFC 2008.jpg

MtnGardener repped this.
  17. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    As an optimist, what I take from that graphic is just a reinforcement of my feeling that the Quakes should have won that second MNUFC game.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armchair Analyst: All 24 MLS teams in review | Week 21 analysis

MtnGardener repped this.
  20. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m certainly psyched, and I do like how we’re playing. Don’t get me wrong. It just would’t have been my choice to go 4-5-1 (or 4-2-3-1, or whatever you want to call it). I’m surprised that it’s working so well. I do like the fluidity of the team, and all of the other stuff I called out.

GO Quakes!!

- Mark

21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vako was already tearing it up before we signed Fiero. So I don’t really count that. I think he just needed more time to adjust to the new system.

Whatever, he’s playing much, much better.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

22. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I should have written something like "hearing that the EQ were talking to Fierro" to get across the point made to me by a "little bird". It was not the only factor, but probably one of many.

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I think Vako always wanted to be awesome. It is just hard to know how when you have skill but can't make it work with your teammates. Almeyda unlocked the door, the whole team walked through.

24. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Vako is also a very shy person, which means one additional level of adjustment to work through when things are not going well.

25. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Poor Vako has had 5 coaches since his time with the Quakes. That is never easy to settle into a rhythm for any player, much less a guy that didn’t know the language and is painfully shy. Almeyda made him earn his playing time and has rewarded him for playing on both ends of the field within the system. Vako looks like he is loving soccer right now. It’s great the Quakes have enough quality that he doesn’t have to feel the pressure of carrying the team on his back.

MtnGardener and NedZ repped this.