Lineups, Formations, Tactics, Stats, etc.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Jul 18, 2017.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There wasn't much need for this thread until recently, given that Kinnear was likely to use his 4-4-2 formation 95% of the time, and we barely had enough quality players to field a non-embarrassing starting eleven.
    Post-June 25, with Leitch trying new things and the increase in viable options (Yueill no longer exiled to Reno, Mfeka making his debut, the arrival of Vako, Pelosi/Alashe/Amarikwa returning from injury), there is more to discuss.

What is the new philosophy and what formation best fits it and the players? How do they maximize the talent on the field? Which players will see increased roles (eg Thompson and Yueill) and who will be discarded (eg Shaun Francis)?

So far in five games (between MLS, USOC, and Frankfurt), Leitch has gone with a 3-5-2 formation three times and a 4-4-2 twice:

-With our two remaining long-term injuries both at the CB position (Wynne and Cummings), do we have the center backs to keep playing a 3-5-2?
    -Does the return of Pelosi, Alashe, and Amarikwa change anything?
    -Will the Quakes add any players aside from Vako in the summer transfer window?
    -Once Godoy, Ceren, and Urena return from the Gold Cup, and with Vako having joined the team, that's two players (Godoy and Vako) who are pretty much locks to start... What does that mean for Hoesen/Wondo up top and Thompson/Yueill/Hyka in the midfield?

===

Quakes roster:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2017/san-jose-earthquakes
    https://www.sjearthquakes.com/players
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/san-jose-earthquakes/startseite/verein/218
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/semi-official-2017-san-jose-earthquakes-roster-thread.2037144/
    Salary Guide | Visualized

MLS Injury Report:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/injuries

Stats:
    https://www.sjearthquakes.com/stats/season
    https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/233/Tournaments/85/USA-Major-League-Soccer
    Opta: Learning to use the Opta Chalboard. To find the Opta Chalboard for a specific game, click on the desired game in the Results Map to go to the Matchcenter, then click on "Boxscore" and scroll down to "Chalkboard"

Tools to create lineups / formations:
    http://sharemytactics.com/
    http://lineupbuilder.com/
    https://www.buildlineup.com/
    http://this11.com/

mangerson repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a 4-4-2 diamond might be worth trying, given the emergence of Thompson and Yueill over the last few games, and Godoy's ability to play the #6 role... I'd like to see this:

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #3 JazzyJ, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    I had been thinking Cato at RB but heck with it - let's just get the best soccer players out there. That would mean Imperiale in and Cato out. Flo would be real good at RB, has played it before, and in the 4-4-2, he has some leeway to get forward which he likes to do.

4. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hopefully Vako will have such a positive impact on our attack it won't matter what formation we use...our sturdy, less flashy version of Giovinco.

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the 3-5-2 that Leitch has been using. Also, I think that it is easier to find players to fit that system. You don't need outside backs who can also play offense. Sure, the outside "mids" in the 3-5-2 have to get back and defend, but mostly they are offensive players. With everyone healthy, I'd like to see this:

- - - Hoesen - - Wondo
    Colvey - - - Vako - - Lima
    - - - - - Godoy - - - TT
    - - Florian - Andres - Wynne
    - - - - - - - - - Bings

It limits TT a little, but he an still get forward, and he can replace Vako from time to time. We'll work in Jackson too, just a little more slowly. I see him as a replacement for Godoy. I half expect Godoy to go to Europe or elsewhere for more money, especially if he has a good showing in the Gold Cup.

I'm not sure that we can keep any of the international players more than two or three years. Most of them can go elsewhere for more money. So my thought is to develop home grown players to replace most of the internationals, and bring in new internationals as the existing ones bail.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 xbhaskarx, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Even with a player of Giovinco's caliber, the formation matters. Toronto FC have looked a hell of a lot better over the second half of last season and so far this season, ever since Greg Vanney switched to a 3-5-2.

It not only limits TT, but also takes both Hyka and Yueill out of the lineup...

It seems like a 3-5-2 may be Leitch's preferred formation, but we don't know for sure.

Today it looks like they're going with a 4-4-2 again:
    So that's 3x 4-4-2 and 3x 3-5-2 so far...

We probably won't know which formation Leitch really prefers until he's had a few games with both Godoy and Vako in the lineup.

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Are they sure it's 4-4-2? If Cato and Salinas are on opposite sides, it's probably 3-5-2 with Hyka, Yueill and TT in the middle.

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ Just for the record, it was a 4-4-2...

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The video looks pretty cool... fingers crossed that this would not only be for the team, but as the pr says, "providing new content and experiences for Quakes fans"...

Earthquakes Partner with Second Spectrum, Inc. for Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning

The San Jose Earthquakes and Second Spectrum, Inc. (“2S”) are entering a first-of-its-kind partnership to use artificial intelligence to revolutionize the future of soccer for the Quakes’ front office, coaches, players and fans. With its state-of-the-art soccer tracking system at Avaya Stadium, Second Spectrum and the Earthquakes will work together to combine player tracking data, machine learning and deep soccer expertise to transform the club on and off the field, while providing new content and experiences for Quakes fans.

Second Spectrum uses artificial intelligence to build systems that can see the game of soccer with the eyes of a professional coach, and extract insights from tracking data that go beyond what a human can observe. From understanding the space created by a particular off-ball run, to breaking down specific offensive and defensive tactics, to developing a measure of expected goals that takes into account every action occurring on the pitch, the Earthquakes will have the power to automatically understand and evaluate the way they play the game.

The partnership with Second Spectrum is a product of the Quakes’ Innovation Advisory Board, which was introduced in December.

“The players will get game footage and data pushed to their mobile devices immediately after the game, so they can see what worked and what they need to work on for the next match,” explained Jeff Ota, member of the Innovation Advisory Board. “The videos themselves will include data, overlays and performance indicators that will give both players and coaches a deeper understanding of the match that was just played.”

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like maybe Leitch goes with the 4-4-2 when the team doesn't have the depth at CB to play his preferred 3-5-2. With the addition of Affolter, I'm guessing we'll see less of the former and more of the latter.

Maybe something like this?

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree, I think that is the case...I'd still like to see Yueill on though. I think he'd shine in a 5 man midfield.

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armchair Analyst: Return of the back 3 in full effect & more from Week 20

While almost every MLS team was using the 4-2-3-1 just a couple years back, we were still empty bucket 4-4-2... and even before that, when Vermes/SKC's 4-3-3 was facing off against Kreis/RSL's 4-4-2 diamond. Maybe in some ways it's like we're going from the telegraph directly to the modern smartphone while skipping land lines and flip-phones. Getting the tactics right may take a while, and it could take even longer to get the ideal players for the new system, especially given MLS restrictions.

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd think they would be used to our 3-5-2 by now, but the MLS site showed it as a 4-4-2 diamond for some reason:
    They were also confused by NYRB, although at least they were doing something new...

14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In terms of tactics, I believe that making sure every opposing player is marked when there is a corner, throw-in, or free kick in the defending third would be very wise...

markmcf8, xbhaskarx and BCaso18 repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 and #1 "top coaching moves" are the two teams we faced this week...

Polak: Breaking down the top coaching moves of Week 20

16. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree, but we're height challenged as a team and our few 6 foot tall players either lose their guy or can't jump. We have zero hops.

bsman repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Hopefully Affolter can jump. He's 6'1".

18. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We still haven't replaced Clay's dominating presence in the air on both sides of the ball...really miss that guy.

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

How about this: Start out with the lineup on the left, and then around the 65th-70th minute, bring on Wondo for either Hyka or Lima, and Salinas for either Thompson or Yueill...

20. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Imo, Imperiale is a deal breaker in a 3 back. I'd play Alashe in the back 3. Hopefully Affolter has a some decent speed. If he does, I'd put him in the middle.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imperiale has started 6 regular season games in a row, meanwhile Alashe hasn't played in a regular season game since 5/20, and when he does play it's almost never as a defender.

If they do want to try Alashe in a back 3, it would probably make sense to send him to Reno for a few weeks to work on it there... the last thing the Quakes need right now is that level of defensive experimentation in a regular season game.

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Affolter is not as tall but has a similar build - rangy / lanky, likes to swing his long legs in to make tackles. Maybe he will be our new kind of like Clay guy.

23. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Alashe has played CB before with the Quakes. It wasn't terrible, it wasn't great. I liked him at CB better than Wynne. I think he should train at that position with the Quakes...better test than Reno.

Imperiale starting the last six games has been a big stress on the D. Defensively all he has now is an all or none stationary leg stab...win tackle or train wreck yellow worthy foul near the box...or whiff and the guy is walking in on goal.

He's just too slow now for MLS level.

24. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Flo maybe needs to go back into the middle. Hopefully Affolter isn't are off of fitness for one outside defender. Who can be the other? Alashe or Colvey? The loss of Cummings for the whole season is turning out to be be quite a problem.

25. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Neither Colvey nor Lima should be on the back line in a three man defense. Outside back in a 4-4-2 is fine, but they need to play a hybrid defender/midfielder in 3-5-2. It has to be Colvey on the left and Lima on the right (which has not happened yet). It's amazing to me the coaches have not figured this out by now. Of course Colvey has been unavailable, so maybe Leitch will wake up when he's healthy. We will see.

JazzyJ repped this.