Limbaugh on McNabb: He's overrated because he's black

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TheSlipperyOne, Oct 1, 2003.

1. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1627991

According to Rush Limbaugh the QB who was second in MVP votes last season and led his team to the NFC Championship game the last two seasons is overrated by the media because they want to see a black quarterback succeed.

2. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    Hello? Hello, Rush? It's Jimmy Snyder. Yeah, yeah, Jimmy the Greek. Listen, I've got Al Campanis on the speaker phone, got a minute?

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I disagree with Rush here (which wouldn't be the first time), but he didn't pull an Al Campanis. For this to be a Campanis, he would have had to say that McNabb isn't a top QB because blacks are unfit to play the position. It's more a commentary on the media and the public rather than on McNabb himself.

Is there a desire by the media and the public to see black QBs? Perhaps, but probably not. But McNabb is highly regarded because his play demands it. There's no doubt that McNabb is an all-pro QB, the only source of offense for his team at times. You try taking a team to NFC Championship Games with the supporting cast he's had.

And take Aaron Brooks. A decent quarterback but not yet a star. Does he get any more special treatment than white QBs of his calibre? Is Steve McNair treated any differently? Only when he's playing superbly, as he did towards the latter part of last season. And you can ask Jeff Blake, Akilli Smith, Shaun King, Rodney Peete, Kordell Stewart (!), etc etc if they think the media overrates black quarterbacks.

4. bigsmooth

bigsmooth New Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Rush's QB rating system

Jon Kitna -- great
    Ryan Leaf -- awesome
    Heath Shuler -- hall of famer
    Todd Marinovich -- one of the best ever

Doug Williams -- luckiest QB ever (no talent)
    McNabb -- sucks, should be playing in XFL
    Rodney Peete -- worst ever
    Warren Moon -- never should've played in the CFL, let alone the NFL

Seems like some in the media have their hopes that black qb's WON'T succeed, so Rush is only speaking of one segment the media -- clearly not his.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Next up for Rush... how Adolph Rupp's Christian values helped him in his fight against the terrors of integration, how Bill Russell went along for the ride on those 60s Celtics teams, and why Jeffrey Dahmer is really a martyr.

6. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Outstanding post.

Is McNabb overrated? That is legitimate question that can be posed of any athlete (save Tiger). But overrated because he's black? Is Steve McNair underrated because he's black? The very notion is silly. McNabb may get an inordinate amount of attention because he's media-friendly and good on TV. Versus a Steve McNair, who is an stellar QB and as good a field general as the NFL has, but generally keeps to himself and doesn't have the endorsements of a McNabb. Why? Who knows? The city they play in, their college careers, their style of play, personal preference - it could be any number of factors, but it has absolutely nothing to do with their race.

It's interesting you bring up Jeff Blake, who I think is a good QB who is very unlucky when it comes to his playing situations. Has he benefitted from media wanting him to succeed because he's black? Doubtful.

You're also correct in pointing out that this is more of a slap about the media than anything. And call me crazy, but I don't see the Philly media letting anyone athlete off the hook because he's black.

7. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know about McNabb being overrated because he's black, but there might be a nugget of truth in the media "wanting him to succeed" area. How news-worthy is it if a white QB leads a team to a Super Bowl victory? That's happened, what, every time except one? A black QB leading his team far in a season will be a nice news story.

Here's a similar situation - basketball player Jason Williams of Memphis (I think). If here weren't white, would he have gotten all the media attention he received his first couple seasons? If he were black, would as many people "marvel" at his skill or would he be considered just another quality point guard?

8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    If Jason Williams were black, people would be calling him a "thug" and a "streetballer" who's trying to get on SportsCenter rather than help his team win.

About the media wanting black QB's to succeed, I see your point but I disagree. Maybe my memory's fuzzy but when the Titans reached the Super Bowl, I don't remember too many people talking about Steve McNair's race. Doug Williams may be the only black SB winning QB, but a black QB leading his team deep into offseason is no longer news.
    And I agree with TWUB - if the media wants McNabb to succeed, it probably has more to do with his media friendly persona.

Again, I don't think Limbaugh was being racist. What he is guilty of is, reinforcing the myth of the liberal media by accusing others in the media of being PC, which in reality, is about as politically correct as it gets.

9. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I don't recall much being made about McNair's race, either. And honestly, I don't think black QBs leading their teams deep into postseason play is a big deal anymore, at least to most people. I'm just thinking that maybe it's a better story.

I agree with you though that Limbaugh's comments were racist.

10. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My number one team that I follow and support in any sport are the Philadelphia Eagles. I have a huge poster of McNabb on my wall. I am also a conservative, like Rush. However, Rush tends to make conservatives look bad, especially with these remarks. Quite frankly, I cannot see any truth in what he was saying about McNabb being overrated in the media BECAUSE he is black. I don't feel as if he was making a racist comment, but I do feel it was a stupid comment. If he was being racist, I think the other cohosts on ESPN NFL Countdown would have stepped up and rebuked him...but they didn't.

It is possible that McNabb has been overrated at times--something that Philly fans mention a bit on talk radio everytime the Birds lose a game, but they don't when the Birds win--but no one ever mentioned anything about his race having anything to do with him being overrated. Besides, the Philly fans and media don't think in terms of race, only "how is this individual player going to help our team win?" Expectations are based on the individual player, if he doesn't perform to the fans' expectation, then they boo. In addition, Philly is used to an athletic, talented African American at the quarterback position...no, I'm not talk about 55 year old Rodney Pete ;) Randall Cunningham, in my opinion, was the pioneer in this new generation of quarterbacks that can threaten the defense with both his feet and arm. And race never really was brought up...so why is it brought up now?

McNabb got off to a rocky start this year, but I still believe his best days are still ahead of him. He has a tremendous amount of talent. I just wish the media would let the guys on the team be more focused on the Redskins this week rather than Limbaugh's comments.

I'm a really conservative person when it comes to beliefs, values, and politics, but I never was a Rush fan...

11. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    McNab is not overrated but Dante Culpepper is way overrated and over hyped.

12. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno about Culpepper being overrated, but it does help when you can just chuck it up into the end zone and have a receiver like Randy Moss go up and get it more times than not.

13. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Rush just resigned from ESPN.

14. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good for Rush. He resigns so he doesn't have to apologize. And now he'll talk plenty about why he shouldn't have to on his radio show.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

good, this mess couldn't have happened to a better idiot - he will always be fat bastard to me...

16. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somwhere, Al Franken is drinking champagne.

(BTW, Rush was calling out the "liberal media", not being racist. Of course, Rush always calls out the liberal media, usually in error, and ends up looking like an idiot. Like now. Good bye to bad rubbish.)

17. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a shame that it's 2003 and we still have people like Rush who doesn't follow this concept.

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC