Lights Out season 1 thread

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by otterulz, Jan 14, 2011.

1. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see a thread on this but did anyone else catch it? They've been promoting the hell out of it and I was intrigued.

I definitely enjoyed the pilot. It's not as boxing related as I thought it'd be, at least the pilot wasn't. I like that the pilot followed him as a retired fighter, going broke, trying to make money, etc. Definitely looking forward to next week.

2. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it was good but it seems like it is going to be very predictable but I could be wrong. A show like that is never about the sport, it is about people that are joined together due to the sport and their lives much like Friday Night Lights. A show like that just about boxing would be boring.

3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I thought it was going to be predictable as well, and I wouldn't expect anything else from FX other than a gritty, dark show. But the editing did it for me, to the point where I thought it wasn't heading in that direction, wasn't going as predicted ... in one scene he's having a innocent-enough father/daughter talk over a cup of ice cream, in the next scene (flashback) he's breaking a guy's arm in the foyer of that guy's own home to collect on an outstanding payment.

I guess when you're down on your luck and flat broke you'll do desperate things. So obviously he's getting back in the ring. I mean, that is the whole premise of the show, and the previews showed as much.

4. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that shouldn't be a surprise. I just hope they don't overdo it like the Rocky series where he went from nearly blind in his right eye (or was it left?) in Rocky II to ending the Cold War in Rocky IV. I think it'll be interesting to see where the pugilistic dementia thing goes from season to season (if it lasts long enough) as well. But yeah, so far I'm really digging the show.

5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!"

::Gorbachev gives standing ovation::

That there is some high-quality cinema. Why the first once was Oscar-worthy, and not the fourth installment, is beyond me.

6. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My friend for whatever reason, either purchased or downloaded the Rocky Balboa soundtrack and it features this one clip that I love that just goes: "Cuz I'm a fighter. That's how I'm made, Adrian. We can't change what we are...." I believe that's from either II or III, so to hear his magnanimous speech about change in IV, it really shows the depth of Stallone's writing. Brilliant.

Oh, and he beat Hulk Hogan and Mr. T is one movie. If that's not 80's bad ass, then what is?