Liga Whodoweplayandwin?.com - Jornada 1: SL Benfica v Belenenses [R]

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by Brian De Sousa, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Who is Benfica's opponent?

Match is live on RTPi this Sunday at 2.15PM EST.

2. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Re: Liga Whodoweplayandwin?.com - Jornada 1: SL Benfica v Belenenses/Gil Vicente [R]

Nope, no game.

3. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
  4. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Liga Whodoweplayandwin?.com - Jornada 1: SL Benfica v Belenenses/Gil Vicente [R]

As a fan of the league, this is an embarassment. To cancel a match a mere two days beforehand is just bush league. The league should be ashamed of itself...

5. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Would you rather they play the game and then Gil Vicente end up being the one in the league?

Granted, this should've been taken care of over the summer, but I can't blame them for cancelling given the circumstances.

Not to mention that Rui Costa is currently injured so it's a sigh of relief for the Benfiquistas if anything.

6. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA

Wait. You're a fan of the league? That is an embarassment.

Thank you Benfica for making the Champions League! Six quality matches for me to watch this season! Wake me up when Benfica face off against Porto and Sporting. :p

7. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I'll be sitting in front of the TV for all remaining 5, er, 4 matches this weekend. Yes, I am a fan of the league, and naturally it isn't as rough as the EPL or as sexy as La Liga, but Sporting is in it and they have a vested interest on how the other 15 teams do each and ever season, which means I watch and take interest and enjoy the league. In fact, the games that don't involve the Big 3 are some of the better matches every season, but to each their own, right BDS? :)

8. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ

What not blame them?? This happenend last September!!

WTF did it take them this long to resolve the issue at hand.
    First if the FPF is so gun-ho about he shouldnt've even been allowed to play a game.

I'm totally embaressed for my country.

9. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut

Even FIFA is upset, and if this isn't resolved soon Portugal and Portuguese clubs could be banned from playing internationally.

10. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

? No... it didn't actually...? Unless you're referring to the Liga de Honra shit-storm from last season with that.

And FIFA's only input into the matter was regarding the FPF's 'support' for Gil Vicente, which has been formally denied.

11. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Apparently we might have a game...

Benfica and Gil Vicente have both said there'll be there on Sunday...

It is getting childish though:
    http://www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=718708&idCanal=6
    "O Gil Vicente vai apresentar-se amanhã no Estádio da Luz "porque é uma pessoa de bem e vai cumpir uma decisão judicial". A confirmação foi feita numa conferência de imprensa que fica marcada por um ataque à comunicação social e pela presença de dezenas de adeptos"

HOWEVER, the FPF has banned them from all football matches because of sending things to a civil court just because they lost.
    http://www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=718637&idCanal=33

12. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA

God bless you. It takes a lot to sit down in front of the TV and watch some bozo teams like P Ferreira take on Naval.

13. Daniel_Alves

Daniel_Alves New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Porto, Portugal

One word: pathetic.

14. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto

So what the heck is going on? When will Benfica play? Can't Benfica demand that they get the 3 points sicne Benfica was ready to play? and the other team must forfeit?

This is pathetic. I know if I was LFV, i'd demand for the league to give Benfica the 3 points. THink about, Benfica might hinder a CL game because they will have to fit this game in their schedual and Benfica will either have to save some players or go out and win and have a tired Benfica for a CL game.

15. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Gil Vicente was 'ready to play' too.

It's not a situation where you can give away three points because the game had already been postponed since Friday, and that was made clear to everyone. Regardless of the teams being ready to play or not.

16. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut

Benfica sold 40 thousand tickets, do they have to give the money back now and does the FPF compensate them for that?

17. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA

I'm guessing that the tickets will be honored whenever they finally get around to letting Benfica play Gil Vicente/Belenenses.

18. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada

This is a shame.......Benfica will and should sue for damages on lost revenue!!!

19. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Of course, that's how you solve the whole thing, you start a new lawsuit. :rolleyes: :D

20. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada

Why should SLB not join the fun:D ......it seems to be the logic move in this unlogic issue!!

21. kastro0418

kastro0418 New Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Toronto
  22. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Title revised and thread stickied for you guys...

23. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Does anyone have a link for internet coverage?

Do I need to check the other forum, since it seems most of the Lampioes have gone there:D

24. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Benfica - 4 v 0 - Beleneses
    (SLB Goals: Simao 20', Karagounis 43', Kikin Fonseca 53', Katsouranis 79')

Benfica played well and scored four goals. Had a little bit more luck than Belenenses, but that's how the ball rolls sometimes. A good game all around from all the Benfica players. Kikin had another good game as well, and finally scored a goal which he needed. His goal was the most celebrated by the Benfica fans, and he received another standing ovation. He's a good player, and he's finally starting to play well (as he is also receiving more playing time which helps), Benfica should keep him. Overall, a good win by Benfica and a nice way to end 2006.

25. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Saw the game. Fonseca finally scored, beautiful header pass from Nuno.

Score does not really show how the game went. Benfica took advantage of almost every opportunity while Belenenses were about an inch of scoring on at least 2 separate occasions.

Pretty entertaining game to watch though I must admit.