Liechtenstein-A guide

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by The Double, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very amusing piece. Spent part of a day in Liechtenstein on a drive from Switzerland to Austria several years ago. Can't believe I actually know some of those places mentioned...

2. Schwarzweiss

Schwarzweiss New Member

May 29, 2003
    Graz (Austria)
    Liechtenstein is quite funny, you can walk through it in a couple of hours, and then say "I walked through a whole country"...

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Amusing read. I know Liechtenstein inside out since my grandparents live right across the Rhein (Buchs).

4. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    My favorite part

9: Liechtenstein was accidentally invaded by Switzerland in 1997 when some Swiss soldiers on exercise read their map incorrectly, mistakenly crossed the border and attempted to commandeer the house of a grandmother in Triesenberg. She chased them away with a broom and the Swiss were forced to issue an official apology to Liechtenstein.

:D:p

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That article was a great one. The story of the invasion was almost as good as the one about L'Esclade in Geneva when in 1602 a woman to stop the Savoyards from taking her house dumped hot stew on them and then threw the kettle at them. That is why if you are ever in Geneva around the first part of December, you see the chocolate kettles everywhere in Migros (which is a great store).

6. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: My favorite part

Are you sure they weren't Italians.:D

Oh wait, that was Sweden they invaded.

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  8. gibby

gibby New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ohio, USA.
    "4: Liechtenstein has had no standing army since 1866, when an 80-strong battalion marched off to the Franco-Prussian war. They saw no action, lost no men, and the most exciting thing about their tour of duty was a freak blizzard in the mountain pass they were guarding (it was August). In fact they returned with 81 soldiers - they'd made friends with an Austrian corporal on the way home. "

Friendly, non-violent people.

"5: Unemployment in Liechtenstein stands at 1 per cent, or 300 people. In 1980 the unemployment figure was 3. Not 3 per cent, 3 people. "

Solid economy.

I'm moving there!;)

"7: In 2001 a German television documentary team decided to film a drive from one end of Liechtenstein to the other. It took nineteen minutes. "

That's too funny.

I also liked Soccernet match tracker's coverage of the pregame stuff yesterday. "And now national anthem fun ensues...both nations use the same song. Does the band get paid double for having to play the same music twice in a row?"

9. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fellow who wrote this article (Charlie Connelly) also penned the book "Stamping Grounds," in which he follows the Liechtenstein NT through their qualifying games for the 2002 WC. If you liked the soccernet piece, you'll love the book (no, I am not his agent--I just enjoyed reading the book!).