Lieberman to join Israeli Cabinet

Discussion in 'International News' started by Amerikaki, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Amerikaki

Amerikaki Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Queens
    Israeli MK Avigdor Lieberman will join Ehud Olmerts Government based on an agreement signed today, which will give Lieberman power to dictate Israel's policy in regards to strategic threats (ie. Palestinians, Hezbollah, Iran).

This is a direct result of the war with Hezbollah and so if anybody thinks "Israel is in a major crisis", you've got it totally backwards. This guy will only give a glimpse of what the new Israeli Government will look like in time. Congratulations to Nasrallah for a job well done. This will backfire on him like the 1967 and Yom Kippur wars backfired on Egypt and Syria.

Here's a brief profile of Lieberman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avigdor_Lieberman

2. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I have read some things on Avigdor - our local Moldovan Jew:) and he is a tough cookie who makes Sharon look pale in comparison. I have read his platforms and he sounds very intelligent, except I am not sure how his views on expelling Arabs from Israel would work and he's maybe over the top with that suggestion - maybe I am reading it wrong, but it sounds like a bad idea all together.

3. __Dynamite__

__Dynamite__ Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Krusa (Denmark)
  4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know much about Israel's internal workings, but it would seem that they need a strong force who is not afraid to defend Israel aggresivily, but also is moderate enough to know that he should talk first and often.

5. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    why?

6. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Because he is a tough Jew and people can't take that - they get scared...

7. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund
    Rubbish. Just substitute jew-hatred with arab-hatred and he's the jewish Le Pen.

8. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I beg to differ, Jewish nationalism and the desire for Israel to survive is not arab-hatred.

9. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    I read about Mr. Avocado's fruity idea of permenantly seperating the Jews from Arabs in Israel, another word, kicking Israeli-Arabs out. If that's not racism, I don't know what is. Send him back to Russia.

10. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    He's from Moldova and his ideas are at least different from what was done before, which got this conflict nowhere.

11. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund
    Naturally, if you want a change, you go from conservatism to über-conservatism and not to liberalism.

12. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Liberalism was the cause of Oslo accords 13 years ago and where did it bring Israel and Palestinian Territories - NOWHERE! So, maybe, just maybe what this are needs is a change and maybe it's worth to try new things because it can't get any worse than having a terrorist group in charge of Palestinians, full out war between Hezbollah and Israel, Iran developing nuclear weapons, Olmert, Katsav with their scandals and daily violence. You know, if we always do what we always did, we will always get what we always got.

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    The Palestinians decided to go with Hamas, Hezbollah lunatics are to the North. And then there's Iran with Adolfinejad and the nuclear mullahs.

Israel needs Lieberman right now. Actually, I'd prefer this guy:

[​IMG]

14. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

[​IMG]

15. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Nice Ben :D

16. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    Liberalism was tried. Arafat rejected the sweetest deal the Palestinians will ever get. Israel has gone more conservative since then.

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Liberman has been given the task of leading Israel's efforts against Iran.

The decision to bring Lieberman into the equation was politically calculated by Olmert, since Olmert is basically trying to insulate himself from attacks from the 'far nuts' in Israel, knowing that when all is said and done, Israel is in no position to do any more damage to Iran than it has been doing.

In the meantime, since being assigned the Iranian porfolio, Lieberman has had to face the realities. There is a world of difference between someone sitting outside the loop and engaging in empty rhetoric that pleases folks like yassik and odeseit and company, as opposed to someone in the loop who is now responsible for the rhetoric he chooses.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1161811213948&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

18. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Be afraid, be very afraid...

19. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say that if he is to be in charge of countering the iranian (menace)threat then he will most likely be preparing for a second strike capability that exceeds what Israel has now. I would expect that he will make sure that Israel can strike back if attacked so strongly that it will leave iran in as bad a shape, if not worse then Israel. You can also bet that Syria and hezbollah as well as hamas will also be targeted.

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I am not.

Unlike you, I am quite aware that there is little Israel can do to Iran besides what it has been doing pushing the US in the directions it has, while I am confident Iran has the means to punish Israel severely if Israel ever makes a mistake and takes any military action against Iran.

From the same article, you will find the following quote:

21. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    Try as it might to be a regional power, it will not succeed.

22. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    He looks just like this local grocer that moved to Israel. That would be one hell of a "job promotion" if he gets the job!

23. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do define and cite references to make you think that Israel cannot harm Iran. Israel has superior airplanes, pilots, subs, Naval Assets and depending on what you think, they have nukes as well. Unless you think iran has some magical nuke proof defense shield then I fail to see how you think Israel cannot harm them.

24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Israel does not even have reliable means to reach Iran. Its missiles don't have the range, merely covering the western most provinces in Iran. Its fighter planes with enough range to cover parts of Iran have to nonetheless go over territory of many other states, and then counter Iranian air defenses and the Iranian air force. All the while carrying limited payloads. Its Dolphin subs don't carry enough weapons either, with only their nuclear payload of any significance. However, besides a host of constraints in terms of initiating a nuclear strike against Iran, using such nukes would mean Israel's immediate destruction.

That is my view. If you don't agree with it, that is fine with me. In the meantime, this opinion piece in the Jerusalem Post tackles the issue in outline form.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1159193330631&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

After going over the military equation, and discussing the issue, the article ends where it started.

25. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know what they say about opionion's.....
    Let's see some facts to back up your assertions. As for Israel's Air Force, those F-15I's are far in advance of anything Iran can hope to put in the Air against them. And you seem to forget that Israel has a pretty powerful ally in the mideast who just happens to have the ability to refuel those aircraft, provide sat. intel, and give them added cover.