Liberty Cup - a pre-season derby tournament idea

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by oneeyedfool, Apr 6, 2014.

1. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be mutually beneficial for the New York Cosmos, New York Red Bulls and New York City FC to hold an annual competition for bragging rights in the area. The name I put on it is the Liberty Cup, though there is a competition between Columbia and Fordham that uses that name, so perhaps another name would need to be found. The idea would be a four team pre-season tournament. The fourth team could either be Philadelphia Union as a regular member of the tourney, you could have the fourth spot be invitation, or you could have it be a play-in spot with an earlier round for the local PDL/NPSL teams.

I think it would generate some good buzz in the region for all parties involved in advance of the season.

2. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    crazy, hd same thought yesterday, good idea

3. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Why not add another team from the NEW York state. USLPro Rochester. This will have each of the three pro leagues represented in the 4 team competition.

4. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The Scorpians packed their Toyota Field for their pre season match with FC Dallas

5. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    let's not forget the Brooklyn Italians, are the LI Roughriders still around?

6. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester would be a potential participant for sure. I was thinking of New York City metro area, rather than New York state, otherwise Red Bull wouldn't be in ;). But seriously, Rochester is a solid option for the fourth.

Brooklyn Italians and Long Island Rough Riders would be in the scenario where there was a play-in round of NYC metro area PDL/NPSL teams for the fourth spot.

I don't think you can go more than two matches (winner/consolation) without it being too much for a pre-season warm up tourney.

7. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    In keeping it an all NY Metro pro tournament NYRB, if the plan is still the same, can enter NYRBII USL Pro affiliate.
    I like the two match format. Rotating the opening round opponents each year.
    If NYCFC should also enter a USLPRO affilate in or near the NY metro area. The NYRB and the NYCFC USLPro Affilates can play in the play in game for the 4th slot.
    Cosmos would be a natural as the host as they would have the most supporters out for the tournament even if it would be at Hosfstra for now it would be rowdy. Unless it grows into something huge then moving to the only SSS stadium in the metro in Red Bulls stadium

either way a double header each day over one weekend. Opening round Fri Niight or Sat. Championship and consolation Sat or sunday.

8. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer just to beat them every year in the USOC.

9. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good idea but why would NYCFC and NYRB be willing to give the Cosmos a chance to outshine them, even if it's just a preseason tournament. I could see casual fans taking it way too serious if the Cosmos were to ever win the thing. SO basically the Cosmos would have nothing to lose while NYRB and NYCFC would.

10. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    that would be the issue. While some clubs like FC Dallas have been willing to play an NASL club there will be those who will not. Sure Cosmos fans would get excited with a win over either team even though it is just a pre season game.
    However MLS clubs are always losing to lower division clubs in the US open by not playing their starting line ups so this should really be no different. IMHO
    But it does not mean that one or both of the clubs will or will not agree to forming such an annual event.

11. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree, I think it might be a little bit different considering that the Cosmos are basically trying to compete with the MLS clubs. If the Cosmos basically "knew their place and acted like it" the NYMLS clubs may be more likely to look into this.

12. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Cant argue with that but the fact is that the Cosmos will likley be facing a MLS club in the Open and there is no way around that. Will be very intersting to see what comes down from the top as to how the MLS club(s) will appraoch a game against the Cosmos.
    For that fact how will they approach any match vs a NASL club. The Cosmos raised the bar and other NASL clubs have gone an improved.
    NASL clubs seem to have made a concious effort to recruit some young top players from Central America CONCACAF countries

13. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why, we are a bigger club than them. Its our name that would be on the line. Could you imagine the most storied club in US soccer history losing to an energy drink marketing scheme and a Man City farm club??Even in pre-season that would be embarrassing.

14. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, however it will still be a very rare occasion when the Cosmos meet one of the NYMLS clubs in the US Open Cup. While it's still possible that we could see a tournament like this, I don't htink it's worth it from a NYCFC/RB perspective. There is really nothing to gain, especially for NYCFC until they have a stadium.
    I am rooting for this though as I would not mind taking a few days to catch a tournament.

15. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cosmos are just trying to be the best team they can be, if that happens to mean they are better than an MLS team...that is what it means.

Know our place? I checked into that and from what i found our place apparently is permanently affixed to the top of the table.

We don't need a silly pre-season circle jerk tournament, This is war. We will beat them in the USOC every year in a game that actually counts. There is only one team in NY.

16. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason why I think each team has something to gain is that the New York City metro market hasn't really paid much attention to the Red Bulls and NYC FC is a new team. Any promo in the market that makes all the evening news and papers would be good for all parties. Something positioned as a battle of soccer supremacy in New York could perhaps do that, especially if they get the mayor of NYC to give out the trophy or something like that. Perhaps they have to call it the Mayor's Cup to make that happen.

17. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it isn't. Its guaranteed to happen every year, provided Cosmos win their first round game. USOC always pairs off regional teams when possible, they have done that for years.

18. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I do support the Cosmos, do you really believe they are still a "big" club? The name has been dragged through the mud since the demise of the NASL. The most storied and famous club in US history is probably the Galaxy at this point, mainly because of Beckham and Donovan.
    They are simply a minor league team who bought the name of an old club from some shady people who got it from some shady people. I hope to see them succeed because they are good for the game, but they are not the big club in town, have not been since 96.
    They are coming from behind at this point and the Cosmos are the ones who need to "prove" themselves at this point so they can say they can live up to the hype they are trying to generate.

19. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was mostly just talking tongue-in-cheek, however, i do think Cosmos are still considered the storied club in this history of US soccer by a considerable margin. The Cosmos are a huge reason why soccer is what is today and they won a ton of trophies. Since the mid 80s, yeah i'd go with LA.

They are the same team, we've been over this a million times now. They didn't buy a name, the took over ownership of the actual soccer entity that has been active since the 70's. Its a legal fact. Almost no one even debates this anymore except trolls looking to start an argument. If Pepe Pinton could have paid wages to players the past 20 years before he sold his ownership interest in the Comsos he could have done so an ran out a team somewhere.

What do the Cosmos "need" to prove. They accomplished more in 6 months than Metro/Red Bull did in almost 15 years. The Man city farm team hasn't even played a game yet and by all accounts is in need of credibility far more than Comsos at RB at this point. If this happens it happens, but lets stop with the BS about the MLS clubs having too much to lose and being beneath them. These teams lose to NCAA teams in pre-season.

20. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    a simple idea for simple nycmetro cup , & peoples fear bubbles to the top. maybe even more reason it should happened. seems like a sellout. It would be foolish to have such a tourment anywhere but RBA until there r other SSS in the are. Is demand is great then MetLife. It willbe good for the game

21. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That would be something that would be gained if highly promoted it will draw much attention to soccer in the NYC Metro area. NYRB are owned by a major corporation and NYCFC is owned by one of the richest pro clubs in the World so looking at it from a business standpoint it would make sense.

22. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how this thread on the Man City USA fourms they are so concerned about us playing them and beating them. We can;t give them credibility they say. LOL. Those mongs don't even realize we already have more credibility than them, and fans. The again, that lot actually believes that their new MLS club is a real NYC team and not a Man City branding project.

There isn't anything wrong with the idea to have a 3 team local tourney but me personally, i wouldn't be that interested in a friendly. Its proves nothing. I will however love to see them play in the USOC when there is something of value on the line.

23. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well NYCFC are a year away from playing an official game. So determining who is more credible seems a little hasty. But when they do play, it will be as a MLS team in NYC; where they will be expected to draw a lot more than 7,900 in their home opener and garner much more media attention. Totally different standards between D1 and D2 as Cosmos fans already know too well.

It it also not about proving anything. The Cosmos are not competing in MLS with the Red Bulls and NYCFC. They are in D2 for a reason. Friendlies are about fostering good will between clubs and countries. Unless you are against that?

24. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can tell you as an absolute fact that NYCFC has a massive credibility problem. It has nothing to do with who they might sign, or putting players together. Its about who they are and what they are about. I live here and have been actively integrated into the city's soccer scene for 15 years...there is a very outward anti-NYCFC sentiment here, and i'm not even referring to RB or Cosmos fans...but knowledgeable fans in general. Trust me, they need credibility.

At best they will have Red Bull levels of success, at worst....could be a Chivas USA scenario all over again.

As for your strawman....i'm not against friendlies, i am against wasting our time playing them in games that don't count. We will play in USOC every year...i prefer to win the ones that matter.

25. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Still nothing wrong with having a Pre Season tourney to up the rivalry a bit regardless of what league. Dallas played at San Anotonio at the end of their MLS pre season at Toyota in SAn Antonio and the full 8k was sold out. That would have to be good for soccer in general in Texas.
    A 4th team would be needed if an NASL team may appear in Conn or a USL pro Affiliate somehwere in or near the metro region.
    Play the weekend 4 team tourny for Charity for inner NYC soccer, two days double headers second day winners vs winners etc.