PBP: Libertadores 2022

Discussion in 'Brazil: Clubs and Competitions' started by celito, Apr 12, 2022.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Expected more from Atletico in the 2nd half. Created very little with the man advantage. It's like they were scared to commit forward. One header and then Hulk fluffing his lines near the end.

I am obviously happy to have gone through, but damn ... I need to have some enjoyment during the game and not just suffering. This type of football is very tough to watch. But today it's excusable.

I don't know how many miracles Abel has left.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If the ref doesn't call continuation there is no foul. So yeah, it's complicated by that. I know that getting to the ball first doesn't always excuse contact afterwards, but I just don't see how you stop momentum in this case. Maybe people see it differently, but pulling your foot off in this situation isn't easy IMO.

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    @celito you must've suffered. Perhaps it's you palmeirenses rather than corintianos who should be labeled "sofredores."

I did think tonight might have been the end of your current title streak, but I was wrong. Credit to Abel for reorganizing the team after Danilo was ejected. I only had a radio feed, but post-match reports say Atl. Mineiro barely exploited the numerical advantage.

Danilo and Scarpa will both be out in the first match of the semifinals, won't they?

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Only team that can knock Palmeiras out at this point is Fla with an inspired effort. I think we will have our hands full with Velez.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We will get a preview of a possible final in the next couple of weeks.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think Estudiantes just got robbed big time. Incorrectly disallowed goal IMO.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wow !!! Athletico pull it off in the last min of the game. Vitor Roque (17 year old) with the winning goal.

Abel vs Felipao in the SF.

Ombak repped this.
  8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I have to say, my initial impression is that he is in an position that interferes with the keeper, but I'll have to see more angles (I'll check out the stuff you posted in the ref forum).

And Vitor Roque just scored in the 51st minute of the second half. If it stands, the 17 year old kid will have sent Atlético-PR to the semis!

Estuardo A. Lopez repped this.
  9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He doesn't block the GKs vision when the shot is taken. It's a bit iffy because the ball goes right by the player and he is in between the GK and the ball ... but he doesn't block any access form the GK to the ball. That ball was always going in. But I guess it depends on interpretation.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Here is a video which includes discussion by the VAR personnel and the field referees. Apparently, the decision to nullify Estudiantes' goal stems from one of their players obstructing the GK's vision and access to the football.

It's a difficult call for certain, but again, it's subject to interpretation. Some are saying that there was a PK in favor of Athletico in the jogo de ida which the referees ignored.

3 of 4 semifinalists are Brazilian. Flamengo will have a tough opponent in Vélez Sarsfield, whom Flamengo beat 3-2 away but drew with 0-0 at home in the 2021 group stage.

Will Palmeiras be in a position for its tetra or will Athletico Paranaense make it an epic all-rubro-negro match (assuming Flamengo defeats Vélez)? Not to mention the allure of Abel vs. Felipão - the two managers who led Palmeiras to continental glory. It'll be Felipão's sixth Libertadores semifinal (the only coach from Brazil who has accomplished this) and his final one, as he's stated he intends to retire soon.

I can't wait to see how loudly the jam-packed Allianz arquibancadas will applaud Felipão.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Felipao with Fernandinho in midfield …. I like my chances …. :sneaky:

Right now I am worried about how playing short for most of the game will affect the players on the weekend vs Corinthians . I am glad there is no ET until the final .

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Another shit performance. No luck to save today.

1 x 0 reversible ... but gonna need to improve / or get some bounces.

13. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I was not impressed by R Veiga and not having Danilo really deconstructed the Palmeiras midfield somewhat.

14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Flamengo 4x0 over Velez in Argentina basically means the tie is over. I only saw the first half. I was worried I would miss a tense second half because I had to attend a class... well, by halftime the worry was over. Seemed like a case of Velez getting as far as their luck could possibly take them and not being able to handle a team of this level.

And with the hat-trick Pedro has 11 goals now in the tournament.

Now Flamengo has two midweek games where they might be tempted to rest players and instead play the full team on weekends. I wonder if they will change things up. After those two weeks they will have a weekend match and then 10 days rest while Brazil plays their friendlies.

October will see the finals of CdB and Libertadores, as well as take us almost all the way to the end of the Brasileirao.

celito repped this.
  15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

The field at Velez's stadium is supposed to be one of the best in Argentina, yet photographs showed it was a mess, with paint used to hide some of the patches. Odd, because the grass outside the field lines was fine. Rumors emerged this was deliberate. But Flamengo's handling of the football was as smooth as an eight-ball over a billiards table.

If there was any doubt about the level of a team like Flamengo vs. a bottom-of-the-league-table Argentine squad, there is no room for doubts now.

In 2021, Palmeiras looked stronger than Flamengo going into the final. This time, it's the opposite (assuming Palmeiras overcomes the 1-0 deficit vs. Athletico Paranaense). And, in other words, it'll be a third straight all-Brazilian final, with Brazilian football about to have its 22nd Copa Libertadores title - a fact which must highlight a particular circumstance: in the past, winners entered the competition late, sometimes in the semifinal stage. These recent Brazilian champions were in it from start to finish.

Ombak repped this.
  16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Great win . My zica didn't work.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    FFS. Too many damn red cards. Stupid.

Good luck in the final @Ombak @Mengão86

Ombak repped this.
  18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Murilo is this year's Bressan.

I never once thought Palmeiras would fall to this Athletico Paranaense.

If Palmeiras' cartolas are smart, they'll keep most of this roster and make a serious run for the Brazilian title. That would give them impetus to come back strong in the 2023 Libertadores.

19. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1x0 at 3mins certain suggested Palmeiras were about to do what everyone knew they could.

Have to give credit to them for widening the lead even after the red card. Remarkable that Athletico could come back from that, but for all the recent examples of a team not taking advantage of having an extra player, we finally had a team make it count.

Flamengo fans definitely confused now... happy we won't face Palmeiras? Worried we face a potential carrasco/boogeyman? Final won't be until late October, so let's just not throw away this semi and the CdB and focus on Brasileirão until then.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am not one to go the conspiracy route, but man ... we got screwed in the CdB and now I feel we got a raw deal again. I don't know how bad the elbow was, probably didn't make much contact ... for whatever reason they only showed one bad angle replay on TV. And only once or twice. Murilo's red card was 100% right. But how was this not reviewed ....

21. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

I agree. Fernandinho committed a clear penalty. Your team scores, it's 3-0, and almost indubitably, game over.

22. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Had Vélez Sarsfield eliminated Flamengo tonight (which was, to put it diplomatically yet realistically, improbable), it would have been one of the greatest upsets in Libertadores history.

Vélez is 27th in its country’s first division tournament – a competition with 28 teams. It has won one match after 17 rounds (out of 27), with 9 draws and 7 losses; its goal differential is -6 (17 scored, 23 allowed). It has 12 points.

Flamengo, in contrast, is in 2nd place in the 2022 Campeonato Brasileiro, with 9 wins, 6 draws, and 2 losses; its goal differential is 11 (19 scored, 11 allowed). Only Palmeiras is ahead.

In this year’s Libertadores, Vélez’s record is likewise modest next to Flamengo’s.

Vélez ended the group stage in second place with 8 points, having won 2 matches, lost 2, and drawn 2. Its worst defeat was a 4-1 loss at Estudiantes, although it won 4-0 at home on May 24 against, again, Estudiantes.

The first match of the knockout round saw Vélez play what was probably its best football in the competition, when it outplayed River Plate for a 1-0 win at home. Controversy surrounded the nullification of River’s goal via VAR in the return match, but Vélez ultimately advanced to face Talleres in the quarterfinals, where it strung together back-to-back wins by 3-2 and 1-0, although the home match was tainted by hooligan violence against Talleres fans, some of whom were severely injured.

That string of 4 unbeaten matches in the knockout round (7 if we include Vélez’s 3 final group stage matches) ended at Liniers last week courtesy of Flamengo.

Flamengo, on the other hand, won 5 group stages matches and drew 1. It won all of its knockout round matches, with 11 goals in 4 matches and only 1 goal allowed.

This doesn’t mean Vélez would be next-to-last in the Campeonato Brasileiro or that Flamengo would be in second place in the Argentine league; and, if they had switched places in the group stage, the history would probably look somewhat different.

But the final result demonstrates an undeniable and incontestable gap between both sides – and Flamengo proved its superiority yet again. Given Flamengo could have scored more than 4 goals last week, the combined margin of 6-1while lopsided and one of the largest in Libertadores knockout history, is nothing more than a reflection of reality.

Whether Flamengo's current streak of successful results will continue against Athletico Paranaense or whether its tricampeonato is postponed yet again remains to be seen.

And yes, temos mais uma final brasileira - a terceira consecutiva.

23. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just like last week I had a previous appointment so I couldn't watch the second half. Not that I was worried about losing but... I was glad to go into halftime with the game tied.

Pedro was a class above with the quality of his goal and assist. A lot of fans are starting to resign themselves to the idea he'll leave in January.

Can't believe we have to wait almost 8 weeks for the final (October 29).

24. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Flamengo in both finals, Libertadores (Oct 29) and Copa do Brasil (Oct 12 and 19).

And fans are whining about throwing away the Brasileirão cause of draws in the last two rounds with subs in the lineup...

Before 2019 this was unthinkable.

celito repped this.
  25. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Biased however you understandably are or may be as a Flamengo fan, what is your assessment of your team's chances in both finals?