Libertadores 2020 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil: Clubs and Competitions' started by Mengão86, Dec 18, 2019.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I said it 30 mins into the first game, the difference in tactical and technical quality is glaring. To be fair, Abel hasn't been on the job for long. He looks better than Luxa, but still doesn't have a proven resume.

2. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Yes, but giving an opinion like "A beat B, therefore A is better than B" is dumb in football and boring for life in general.

I know Brazil is the best national team in the continent. I'm just predicting they will play a bit lazily after winning in 2019. Also, I think Argentina has found a solid system now. The only thing to adjust is the coach fielding the proper players in 2 or 3 positions.

European football is too superior right now. Your big chance was 2018, everything was in place for the hexa but you had bad luck. Now I fear the Tite boat has sailed.

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    This was a strange series. Everyone expected two very contested games and either team could have won. Yours kicked butt last week while the home team had an atypically poor game. Tonight the visiting team was better and your team was nowhere to be found.

Let's see what Abel does on January 30th.

4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The verdict however is that Palmeiras eliminated River Plate and is in the final. Therefore, even if Gallardo is better than Ferreira, Gallardo did not achieve his objective - he failed.

Doubly bad for Gallardo if he's better AND he lost to a coach whom you claim is inferior.

Maybe. And maybe Brazil will kick it up a notch just to make sure you guys go another cup without another title win. :x3:

Not really. Belgium made the right adjustments, first against Japan and then against us. Tite did not adjust early enough. Has his boat sailed? Well, he won a continental cup and he's led Brazil to a four-win streak in WCQ. Your team on the other hand has an aging Messi who in all likelihood will never win the World Cup.

But if Portugal wins it in 2022, I'm sure you'll rethink your views about Lusitanian managers... :geek:

5. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    #55 pipinogol, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    You're mostly interested in banter, so I'm getting bored. See ya, good luck. Hopefully SPFC doesn't throw the brasilerao.

6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Tchau argentino, and glad you recognize Brazil is the continent's best national team. Glad you didn't say CONMEBOL did a favor to Palmeiras the way you said CONMEBOL did a favor to Brazil re: 2020 Libertadores final in Rio.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd have to agree with that statement. Gallardo is an excellent coach. I wonder where he will land in Europe. Is he leaving River after this season ?

I wouldn't say the title is ours. Santos gives us a hard time and Boca is still Boca. Specially against Brazilian teams. I think it's wide open. It will also depend what injuries we are carrying. Gomez being out would already be a blow.

8. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He is better than those coaches. Although I will say the gap between JJ and Gallardo isn't as big as it is between him and Abel.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Abel has surprised me, but I think fans and the media have taken it too far when they say he's on the same level as JJ. I haven't seen that, but he is better than I expected.

On another note, congrats on reaching the finals. I will say had it been Flamengo being on the receiving end of those VAR calls (which were correct), the antis would be all over the place talking about how Flamengo stole the game.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep. Abel hasn't shown he is even close to the same level as JJ. I would however just say that while our squad is expensive and has some good players, it's not on the same level of what JJ had.

I watched Soft Open yesterday (i think that's the name .. with Mauro Cezar on it) and they slaughtered us (with good reason). They were also all over the VAR calls ... so that is being mentioned. They do hate VAR in general so I guess that's fair even if the calls were right. The worst call IMO was the red card. Don't think that was deserved.

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agreed that JJ had a better overall squad.

Mauro Cézar likes Argentine clubs. He’s a Racing fan, but seems to sympathize with Argentine clubs. He also likes Fla, so probably why he’s bashing the VAR calls. I am sure the rival Paulista clubs fan bases are also giving Palmeiras a hard time. The repercussions would be larger if it were Fla though.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @Century's Best

The explanation for yesterday is simple. The first game was a bit of an anomaly, but it was going the same route until we found a goal on Armani mistake on literally our first chance. River did lose control a bit but were still OK. I think they were coming out strong in 2nd half but we found the 2nd goal (on an individual move from LA and mistake from River) quickly and then they lost all composure. And then of course the red card which sort of killed the game. But with a man down they were still threatening. They could have pulled one back.

So in essence, the games weren't that much different tactically. In the 1st game Weverton had a big point blank foot save just 5 mins into the game that probably would have been hard to come back from. Yesterday they scored on that chance.

What pisses me off is that if we are going to bunker, we need to bunker well. In Both games we are playing with most players back and conceding possession but we couldn't keep them from creating dangerous scoring opportunities.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He is harsh, but I think he is mostly objective based his way of looking at the game. I've watched him quite a bit and I don't really have a problem with his commentary. He is often harsh on Flamengo as well. The VAR thing was exaggerated and some of the comments he made were based on his lack of knowledge on how VAR works. But in general he doesn't seem to like 3 guys in a booth making decisions because it is a fertile ground for corruption.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    If Abel Ferreira is learning on the job, he's lucky yesterday's lesson wasn't a fatal one. Now your team has 17 days; hopefully Gomes will recover. I expect Palmeiras' starting XI to enter the Maracanã field with sangue nos olhos, for whoever the opponent is on that day will do the same.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Only a disaster now keeps an all Brazilian final from happening.

Santos up 3 x 0.

With a straight red to Boca player right now.

16. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Imagina essa final na capital paulista, seja no Morumbi, na Palestra Itália Arena, ou até mesmo em Itaquera, e com torcida. A bagunça que ir rolar...

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Final brasileira, porra!

O pau vai comer no Rio de Janeiro no dia 30.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Mengão86 repped this.
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    With a win Santos would be the first Brazilian club to be Tetra Libertadores champions. Pretty amazing for the only big team in the country outside of a big capital city.

I think 3 or 4 days before the final we play each other in the Brasileirao. Ugh.

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I'll be honest - as worthy finalists as Santos is, I would want Palmeiras to win the title so that Santos doesn't surpass SPFC. That and the fact my dad was a Palmeiras fan in his youth.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Shit show of a first half . One shot off target . Pretty unwatchable so far . Not surprised though .

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Estatua de Breno Lopes sera erguida ao lado de Adhemir da Guia !

@V_Park

V_Park repped this.
  23. V_Park

V_Park Member

Dec 20, 2004
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Nunca critiquei. Finge que não o xinguei no jogo contra o River :ROFLMAO:

É CAMPEÃO! RUMO AO BIMUNDIAL!

celito repped this.
  24. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Congrats [mention]celito [/mention] and [mention]V_Park [/mention]

celito repped this.
  25. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    O futebol é cruel. Eu estava convencido que haveria prorrogação. Aquele lance entre o Marcos Rocha e o Cuca destabilizou o Santos e que ironia, que o gol saiu num lance do mais puro Cucabol.

E somente hoje fiquei sabendo que o Santos está em décimo lugar no Campeonato Brasileiro. Pode ter G-8 na Libertadores deste ano, mas o Santos terá que se recuperar rápido porque o Grêmio vai querer vingar as quartas-de-final. Deu pena dos garotos do Santos. Aquele Marinho tem muito futuro. Tomara que o Santos jogue a Libertadores de 2021.

Quanto ao Palmeiras, parabéns. Me lembro muito bem das Libertadores de 1999 e de 2000 e nunca imaginei que aquele time forte do Felipão seria o último Palmeiras a conquistar a Libertadores durante tanto tempo.

O jogo foi meio decepcionante. Me lembrou Corinthians x Vasc
    o na final de Torneio da FIFA de 2000. Ambos times muito nervosos e com receio de errar. O lance do jogo me fez lembrar um pouco do gol do tetra da Alemanha em 2014... quase no finalzinho.

Quando entrou o Felipe Melo, tive uma sensação de "isso aí é só pra humilhar."

Agora vem o Mundial da FIFA. Se o Palmeiras pegar o Tigres, CUIDADO. O Tigres tem um jogador que já jogou na seleção francesa. Fraco esse time do Tigres não é. Se o Palmeiras pegar o Ulsan Hyundai, sussa, é Palmeiras na final a não ser que haja um vexame histórico.