Libertadores 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil: Clubs and Competitions' started by celito, Mar 6, 2019.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And you're the biggest Brazilian hater ... so ... :rolleyes:

2. StrokingMonkeys

Oct 4, 2009
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I have faith!! Even if my logical side of my brain says otherwise hehehe. Heck, if Inter can do it to Barca (2006), so can Fla 2019!! :D

My Lord, just watched Zico unleash Nunes for the 1st gol on Liverpool '81. When are we going to get mids (Zico) like that again for the Selecao?!?!

I also forgot how bad the grass was. ;)

3. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Quote some hate post I made. I just came to discuss because I had a different view about the match than Mengao's.

This centurybest mate posts anti-argentina stuff ALL the time (I still remember his ridiculous post about 1978 WC final and laugh). He never gives credit to an argentinian team for anything (it's always cheating, luck, etc). And even his predictions are almost always argentinian team loses, even if they are playing at home with a bolivian team.

I think some argie must have stolen a girlfriend from him or sth. It's hard to understand such obssession.

4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    "River plate time pequeno e o caralho" - too bad you Spanish speakers can't understand Portuguese given your language is so easy for us,.

The way this was phrased, if whoever said it meant River was a small team, adding "o caralho" would mean "River Plate a small team, my ass!"

Which means that whoever said this phrase was calling out RIver (or its fans) for calling Flamengo a small team.

5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Ups and downs, bro. River has had a great run but it has lost to teams like Paulista.

If you don't care about my opinion why reply to me?

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I might have gotten you confused with another user.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Interesting note, JJ has contract until May, which is the middle of the season in Brazil but middle of European season. I bet he is on the radar of a few European teams now. Flamengo would want to renew and extend until December at least. But JJ may wait to see what's available in May and bolt mid-season regardless of form.

8. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You misunderstood me then. I didn’t say River is a small team. I know better than that. River fans in the buildup had been calling Flamengo a small team. I said we aren’t fing small.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    River wasn’t going to keep up the intensity for 90 minutes and making those mistakes and giving space to a team with the quality we have was going to pay the price. Most teams would have lost to River or not even have drawn.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Did they ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

Wrong, but since you don't care what I think, no point in refuting your post.

I will say this though. You got upset over something that got lost in translation.... oh well. It happens.

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

13. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It must be noted: the second Libertadores was won literally 38 years after the first. Flamengo defeated Cobreloa in a 3rd match (held in Uruguay) back on November 23, 1981.

This gap was 14 years longer than the gap Brazil waited between 1970 and 1994. Anyone here stop and think how much Rio de Janeiro and Brazil have changed since 1981?

The president was a general (Figueiredo). Some censorship still existed. The currency was the Cruzeiro. Telephones still used the dialing thing; mobile phones were unthinkable then. Os Trapalhões were at their zenith (gosh I loved that show; I have too many Sunday evening memories watching that show with my family).

In any case, Flamengo deserved it. Credit to River Plate for playing a solid match, but this is the nature of the game. Small flaws can be fatal. Last-minute or even last-second goals have changed the history of the game.

Flamengo did not get to the final by coincidence and it is a very well trained side. I don't think Flamengo would fail to give the Brazil NT a hell of a challenge if they played.

Much was made of this Flamengo, and about how Jorge Jesus refused to rotate players and to rest starters. It was a gamble, but it worked, and today, post-match, Brazilian sports pundits were stating they hope JJ's example will be followed.

I personally believe so many Brazilians rejoiced (I saw footage of Flamengo jersey-wearing fans going nuts in Manaus, Fortaleza, Brasilia, and SP) is that this Flamengo is reminiscent of the classic Brazilian game: offense, offense, and more offense, performed with ever so much fluidity. Flamengo was already widely popular, but Flamengo in the final of the Libertadores was huge.

I'm very happy - Flamengo fans waited nearly 40 years for this and tonight this victory is theirs to cherish.

Now, onto the Club World Cup. I hope Flamengo reaches the final (and that Liverpool does as well) and that of course, Flamengo wins - just like 38 years ago.

StrokingMonkeys repped this.
  14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It's over. River Plate showed class - its official Twitter account congratulated Flamengo on the win.

15. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought you were here to eat crow? Remember you said I was disrespecting river b4?

16. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    sums it up for me. That first half was suffocating by river.

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I can hardly believe it. I kept telling myself despite the poor game overall that it could still happen. And then we tied. And then we scored again. Holy shit.

The first game I remember is the 1987 final against Inter. I was too young to remember the 1981 Libertadores, but that's twice in my lifetime.

Hopefully the project that Flamengo is building really pans out in the medium and long-term too.

Diego's contribution is really special. The fact that we not only stayed in it despite the obvious letdown and change after the early goal, but finally managed to improve was great.

Now to make the Brasileirao official and play the WCC.

StrokingMonkeys repped this.
  18. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Hopefully Jorge Jesus work is respected. He did great work in Portugal and deserves the recognition as a top class manager.

19. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Insane day. Still catch myself having to pinch myself. After I got back late last night, I was watching a lot of fan videos during the goals. The first goal I had a more immediate reaction. I didn’t even think of the possibility of it being blown offsides and VAR screwing us. The second goal I was literally on a five second delay trying to process what happened. Then I went wild. I hadn’t celebrated a goal that hard for Fla since 2009.

20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No one outside of South America and Portugal will respect his work in Brazil.

21. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I’m still concerned because we aren’t in the best of form lately. Luckily, it was still enough to get it done against a quality opponent, but we came dangerous close to falling short. One thing is certain — previous Fla squads would have folded like a cheap lawn chair after being stifled for 55 min. This squad had the quality and the belief to claw back in. I knew after the first few minutes of the second half that we were going to put in a better performance than the first.

River should fell hard done by the result. I do think after we were 85 minutes in that we deserved to draw. The win in regular time was a bit unfair to River, but I think ultimately they would have lost in extras due to fatigue and the players that they subbed on. They couldn’t maintain the same level of play with their subs.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Got a chance to watch most of the game. Gallardo did a good job in neutralizing Flamengo in the 1st half. But I wouldn't say they were that dangerous on the counter. With the pressure Gallardo put, Flamengo were playing a lot of direct long passes that I thought I was watching Palmeiras :ROFLMAO:. But there was a bit more organization in terms of the targets. The problem is, with the good pressure and marking, the passes and the trappings had to be precise and they simply weren't. Didn't think River were that great exploiting Flamengo on the counter though. They had some good plays here and there but also weren't great getting their passing right.

In the 2nd half JJ made some positional changes and Flamengo came out better. And indeed, in the last 20 mins River were done physically. What a bone head move from Pratto on Flamengo's 1st goal !!! Had he just played the ball early wide to a teammate who was open River would have probably been champions. River didn't do a good job in managing the end of the game.

Rafinha and specially Filipe Luis had atrocious games. So many mistakes it was tough to watch them out there. Gerson was the best performer for Flamengo and it's too bad he came out hurt. But Diego came out and played really well.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He said in an interview that before he came to Flamengo he already had offers from EPL teams. If he ends up there I'd like for him to say in his first press conf. that he is not just anyone, he is a differentiated one. :ROFLMAO:

24. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I highly doubt he had any EPL offers other than low table sides. I’m really not sure what he has done at Fla will really put him on any teams radar. I heard Benfica might want him back.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Mundial is just a title to stroke the ego of fans. I am not saying this because Palmeiras doesn't have one. It just is.
    But it would be fun to at least see a Brazilian team not to go out there and play defense/counter game vs an European one.