Liberal Democrats: It's time for your Civil War

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by riverplate, Dec 5, 2004.

1. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    There's a great article from Peter Beinart, an editor at The New Republic, concerning how the Democratic Party won't return to victory until it rids itself of its soft-on-terror wing.

Dems' Civil War

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Good. Keep that attitude up. We're counting on it.

4. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    The democrats don't need to be against themselves. They need to make peace with religious voters and be for something rather than being against "them".

5. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the democrats had picked a VP candidate from either Ohio or Florida, it would have been a very different result. The VP they chose couldn't even carry his own state, just like 4 years ago. That is the yawn.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    When I got to the part of the article that said, "There is little liberal passion to win the struggle against al Qaeda," I started to laugh. Because there is no such thing as a "soft-on-terror" wing of the democratic party. There's a huge chunk of the democratic party, and the literate portion of the nation in general, that is smart enough to see that the war in Iraq has nothing to do with al-Queda, other than to spread our military and intelligence operations too thin and to give al-Queda time to formulate more heinous attacks. And when these attacks occur, I'm sure that Karl Rove and his chickenshet collaborators across this country will go through the mental contortions necessary so that they can blame liberals for that attack, too.

I would believe articles like this if they would name names and point to specific policy recommendations that indicate a softness when it comes to fighting al-Queda. Until that happens, this is just another convenient, and effective, straw man that helps fuel phone calls to the rant radio industry.

7. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Joe Lieberman did carry CT, though Al Gore couldn't carry TN.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "There is little liberal passion to win the struggle against al Qaeda."

Ironically writes the man who is backing the party that...all hell, y'all know the voluminous list by now.

I can document Bushie ACTIONS that have hurt us against AQ. Can you do the reverse?

9. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't prove that Bob Graham would have made the difference. Your post has no merit

10. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    Really? What do the Democrats want to do that Bush isn't already doing? Where would they "really go after AQ"? How would the Dems be more hardcore? What is their plan?

They have none. They just know they are against Bush.

11. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    Yes, the spread of democracy IS the liberal cause. Unfortunatly the left has been taken over by people who hate. The fact that bigots like Mel are a part of the conversation is the problem with the Left.

12. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why don't you point to one single post I made that demonstrates I am a bigot, or else stand up like the man you claim to be and withdraw that comment. the fact that liars like yourself try to pass yourselves off as effective commentators on anything, when you'd rather be BigSoccer's Fox News, is the problem with "the right."

Point it out, like a man, or withdrawl the comment, like a man. Or there's always the third option; do nothing, and be seen as the almost-man you are here, and probably always will be.

You know which (non) repsonse I expect.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They would not have pulled half of our special forces out of Afghanistan to prepare for the Stupid Pointless War.

14. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    He gets his undies all in a bunch (perhaps justificably) and then slings the favorite liberal word "liar" around.

I'm shocked.

15. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Fixed.

16. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Now I know I need new contact lenses because surely nobody would write what I think I just read.

17. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    I know what they would not have done. Not my question. My question is, what MORE would they do? The argument today is framed between fighting AQ or not. It should be in terms of HOW to fight AQ.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Name names. Who are they, and what policies do they advocate which deserves to be called "soft on terror." Seriously. I await enlightenment on this issue.

19. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    That's just the response I'd expect from someone like you.

link

20. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    Mel just had thread where he proposed that we've never botherd to understand AQ in any detail and what detail we have has been provided to manipulate us into misdirecting the entire war on terror. Do you own search. That is the stupidity the Left needs to divorce itself from. You guys can't get past GO because you can't agree which direction to go.

21. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. Yeah, that's bigoted. You're even stupider than I thought. Iggy.

22. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    "and just like last time, the only way to get bigger is to start by throwing some people out."

Just like last time, the Democrats will take over the country after the Republicans have completely destroyed the economy.

23. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The idea that the Dems have a "soft on terror" wing is a tribute to how effectively corporate media framed the election issues in the minds of your average (read stupid) American.

I'd like to know what Georgie boy has done to fight AQ. How has the Iraq war made America safer? Why isn't OBL in an American prison? All you Reeps should begin to ask the hard questions of your President like "Why did we invade Iraq and let OBL escape?"

24. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right-wing commentators telling the Dems what to do to in order to win is my new pet peeve. Basically, every article is the same...be more like us and you'll win.

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's absolutely nothing bigoted in Mel's response. Nothing.