Liége v Liverpool [R]

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by PSG55, Aug 14, 2008.

1. PSG55

PSG55 New Member

May 16, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The game was shown on national TV in the UK last night and Liége have really impressed a lot of people over here. After Anderlecht's premature departure from European competition in 08-09, it needed somebody to step up and show the Belgian league is not as bad as many outside Belgium think.

I thought, from a Belgian national team point of view, Fellaini, Witsel and Defour were awesome. Liége should have won the first leg (did Fellaini's header cross the line?) and will find the second leg tricky in Liverpool but they've given a good account of themselves. I hope they do the same at Anfield.

2. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Re: Liége v Liverpool

Allez les Rouges!

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Not a fan, but our Euro-coefficient could sure use a win.

4. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan New Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Westminster
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Solid and inspired performance from the Standard lads. Definitely a bit unfair the Belgian champions have to qualify, as Standard deserves to be in the group stages. As I've said over in the LFC forum, they've made me a fan of their club, and I'll be keeping up with them from here on out. Cheers!

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

It's not unfair. The UEFA CL isn't about football, it's UEFA's cash cow. From that standpoint, it makes sense to make it as difficult as possible for the Belgian champion to qualify. Excuse me for not taking this "European cup" seriously any longer though. England+Spain+Italy does not equal Europe.

6. alkmaar67

alkmaar67 New Member

May 14, 2008
    Newtownards
    Club:
    AZ

Not just the gripe about 4th placed team in England but a team that has not truly challenged for the title since the backpass rule was introduced, it is an absolute disgrace that Standard dont get into the group stages. Take the champions of Lithuania, they had a draw consisting of the 2nd best team in Scotland and the champions of Denmark, yet the Belgian champions had to meet Liverpool. Onyewu set himself up for egg on his face but the Standard team justified his media outburst and I hope they go on to do well in the UEFA Cup, allez les rouches! (Belgian French, as I am about to find out is just a little different :p)