Lewis: Metros better off if Clint's suspended

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroFever, Nov 4, 2003.

1. MetroFever

MetroFever Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Brian Lewis: Metros better off if Clint's suspended

If Mathis is suspended, the league may do the MetroStars a favor in the second game of the total-goal series in Foxboro on Sunday (they need to outscore the Revs by three goals to advance) because the team has played better lately without the 26-year-old forward.

While he won't say it publicly - coach Bob Bradley never criticizes players in the media - privately he is frustrated and fed up with Mathis' antics.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/story/133544p-119078c.html

1. Anyone wish to start a petition to MLS requesting Clint be suspended?

2. The "fat guy" on Saturday could wind up being the Metros MVP.

2. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I get it. Really. You don't like him and want him gone. Could you at least contain your vitriol into ONE thread? Every freaking thread on this board is being hijacked by the "We Hate Mathis Now" crowd (and it's not just you).

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Mathis for next Metros GM !!!!!!

4. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain New Member

May 19, 2002
    Moscow, Russia
    Do any of you people work or go to school? Reading the same stuff in ever thread makes me think you have too much free time on your hands.

5. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    I'm wondering where he would go if the Metros decide to dump him. He'd have to have a tryout with a team in Europe as I'm sure they would be put off by the "attitude problems" and not try to make the first move to sign him. Maybe he could go to Wolves since I'm sure they are desperate enough for someone to help them.

Watch some other team get him and watch him score! That always seems to happen.

I hope that maybe a change of scenery will help CM, though I'd rather it be overseas. But will he have to take some sort of pay cut to stay in MLS? Were there extenuating circumstances which were factors in his "bad" performances? Also, who would we get to replace him? Taylor Twellman maybe? I'm wondering if TT will become expendable if Pat Noonan can score against teams other than the MetroStars.

If Clint does go, nobody will be more disappointed to see him go than I. Meanwhile, I'd like to know what the coaching situation is going to be like. If what Decepticon Lazer Beak wrote is true, then maybe Bob Bradley will want out of the coaching spot.

Meanwhile, I am not expecting any miracles in the return leg against the Revs - with or without Clint. But the off-season is going to be VERY interesting, I think.

6. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    i highly doubt anything decepticon Lazerbeak said is true.

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saving electrons by using one :rolleyes: for the two of these.

8. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    you know what, back when Decepticon was startin multiple threads at a time, i couldnt stand his crap but i only really complained about the fact that it also took up so many threads...most people criticized me, so who am i to argue with the majority...most people seem to love hopping on anti-mathis bandwagon right now...im just glad there were a few of us who were saying the same exact things early in the season and stood by it, when most of the mathis bashers now, bashed us then...

9. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    Knowing how trades have gone down in the past, he'll end up in DC if he stays in MLS. God knows he'll fit in just fine with the rest of the walking-red-cards on that team.

10. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    You know what? I want to see Mathis play next Sunday as our left wing mid or as our right wing mid.

We may get more out of him there. He would be a lot better at one of the two positions then anybody we have right now so why not play him on a flank with the freedom to move inside the field from the flank?

Less pressure on him there. He is still on the team and I want to see him on the field.

This game might be his last for the metrostars so I want him on the field..

It is one of the few things we have not tried this season that I can recall.

11. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats this??? A constructive post concerning Clint Mathis!! Thats not allowed on these boards!

OK OK, we've got a cross,
    now all we have to do is make Clint carry it to New England.

Lets go guys!

12. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    it's not a DC game until dema and hristo get cautioned...

13. Elder Statesman

Mar 29, 2002
    Central Park South,
    Aug.27: After Mathis was red-carded in the 97th minute, the MetroStars defeated the Revs in OT in the U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals, 2-1.

Sept.20: Eight minutes after Mathis was replaced vs. Columbus, John Wolyniec scored a sensational OT goal for a 1-0 win.

Sept.28: After another Mathis red card in the 87th minute at D.C. United, the MetroStars rallied for a 1-1 draw on Mike Magee's goal five minutes into stoppage time.

Oct.1: Without a suspended Mathis, the MetroStars beat D.C. in the Cup semis, 3-2.

Oct.5: With Mathis suspended, the MetroStars recorded a 2-0 win at San Jose.

-------------------------------------------------

I sort of agree with Michael Lewis's argument. The main problem though is Mathis and Guevera can't play at the same time. Even if Mathis plays forward he drops back and plays Guevera's position. If you look at the beginning of the season when Mathis played central mid with Woly and Magee up front we had the best record in the league. We continued to play well when Mathis left for the Nats and Guevera played central mid. However, when Mathis and Guevera played at the same time that was when most of our losses came.

14. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem I see is he really wants to be Geuvara at midfield and clogs things up because of this as he does not go forward. Might as well play him at midfield if Bob starts him and move Geuvarra up front. Other than that might as well sit Clint until he agrees to move forward into space and off the ball.

15. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    You could have saved even more electrons by not replying!

For crying out loud it's just SPECULATION! If Mathis goes, we're going to need a replacement! WHAT in the world is WRONG with what I posted?!

16. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

I really don't want to get into deconstructing Michael Lewis because over the years I've found him to be a reliable source of information but he's on shaky ground here:

Aug.27: After Mathis was red-carded in the 97th minute, the MetroStars defeated the Revs in OT in the U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals, 2-1.
    The Metro won on a controversial OT goal. Did it have anything to do with Mathis being on or off the field? It doesn't say much for Bradley's coaching prowess if he didn't realize all he had to do was pull Mathis and the Metro would score a goal does it? This game is simple. Pull Mathis and you score. Anybody can play.

Sept.20: Eight minutes after Mathis was replaced vs. Columbus, John Wolyniec scored a sensational OT goal for a 1-0 win.
    A spectacular goal, no doubt about that. If you want to rely on hail mary passes and goals scored on the final kick of the game after the entire team, the offensive part of it anyway, played like crap for 90 minutes then go for it.

Sept.28: After another Mathis red card in the 87th minute at D.C. United, the MetroStars rallied for a 1-1 draw on Mike Magee's goal five minutes into stoppage time.
    Yep. Magee scored because Mathis wasn't on the field just as surely as he didn't bury the point blank open net shot against NE because it was Mathis passed him the ball and we all know Mathis sucks.

Oct.1: Without a suspended Mathis, the MetroStars beat D.C. in the Cup semis, 3-2.
    Does anyone here think DC being down to 10 men and a 3rd string keeper who didn't have a minute of professional experience prior to that game might have had a bit more to do with the Metro advancing than Mathis being suspended? I'm not downplaying the importance of the Metro victory but ignoring the circumstances under which it occurred isn't fair either.

Oct.5: With Mathis suspended, the MetroStars recorded a 2-0 win at San Jose.
    Here's the one that really gets me.

Back on July 2 the Metro start a defense of Ziadie, Arena, Forchetti and Edgar. They score 4 goals, Mathis gets 5 points in the game, but they still wind up tying 4-4. A great game by Mathis was wasted.

On October 5 they start a defense of Leitch, Jolley, Pope and Edgar and wind up shutting out SJ while scoring 2 less goals.

It doesn't look to me like the difference between the two games was Mathis being on the field in one and not in the other.

The Metro won games late or in overtime when Mathis wasn't on the field.

When he's in form and scoring the Metro don't lose.

It sucks that he's been out of form lately but don't try telling me the Metro eeking out results with him out of form or suspended is preferable to him being in form.

That's where the focus ought to be: trying to get Mathis back on track rather than finger pointing.

17. Beowulf

Beowulf New Member

Dec 2, 1998
    And it's great that we have so much time to get him back on track! The season is not even close to being over! Hooray!

18. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

No that sucks too but it really is the best hope for the Metro advancing.