Lewis has trade rumor

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Arisrules, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    So we give up a defender and a young d-mid for an average keeper and an old d-mid.

If these things come off i see myself starting a "fire bradley" thread in preseason.

2. gwebster

gwebster New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Bethany, CT
    No, sports writer Michael Lewis.

Yup, I can only see this worsifying the problems that plague our team. If we trade Pope, we'll either have to play Arena/Bonseu/Stammler, or acquire another center back, which will divert resources that could be used to acquire a right back, which is a real weakness of ours. Regarding Armas, the only thing that will keep him from missing games for qualifiers next year is injury; either way, he'll be unavailable for a fair number of games.

I'd like to see us deal with the weaknesses we have with our outside backs and in the midfield. We've had them for two years now, enough is enough. Shore up both areas, or just get another decent centerback and play a 3-5-2 with our current midfielders.

3. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Lets put some things in perspective.

I'm probably 90 to 95% in favor of trading Pope. The realization is that he will probably miss 1/3 of the season. If he plays like he did in the DC years, it might be justified. But, even then, 280k is a massive cap hit to spend on a player who will miss a ton of games.

Secondly, I don't mind giving an allocation to Bradley. He was spot on with Gueverra. People somehow forget that Bradley brought him in. That was a big get. SGR...lets forget about that one.

But I don't think we should give up Clark, even if it means this deal does not go through. Let Chicago deal with three keepers, and all that salary they have tied up there.

4. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thos trade should definetely not happen. Clark has a long way to go so trading him now makes no sense. I would also want Walker to stay. Thorton is not better than him and when was the last time he actually started a game. Trading Pope wouldn't be a bad idea but get something better in return than Armas.

5. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    With the rumored increase to four SI's I am comfortable with Bonseau in the back. If we can move Pope salary without taking much on I would be happy. Soemone like Marsch who can help us would be fine but no one old and expensive like Armas.

6. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    yeah, that extra SI slot defenatly "saved" Bonseau. Soo we have as of now (assumeing of course SGR is gone) 2 empty SI slots. Bobbo better get out there and do some scouting. Maybe a baggio-weah foward tandem :D

Why would chicago part with marsch though? Look at it from their perspective. If we can only convince them to take magee instead of clark (perhaps a draft pick) we're golden.

7. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    if replacing Walker with Thornton, I'd rather take Meola back

8. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    DC won with Ramando in goal, if u need a really high priced goalie to keep u in the game then your in trouble. Although a important position, the salary cap IMO should be taken up mostly by field players.

9. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Good point. I happen to like Walker. I thought he made a number of great saves. The problem with goals against was 1)weak midfield defensively 2) Pope had an off year 3) Parke probably ran out of gas as the season went on.

I dont see Thornton as any help. Why did Chicago sign him only to try anything to dump him? Been a great player for a long time. This stage of his carreer is the wrong time to pick him up.

Give Ricardo more time. The guy can grow into something big and Bradley is the man for young players. If he gets traded it must mean Bradley has given up hope for him. Magee is still learning and getting better. Keep Walker too. Dont make a trade just to trade.

10. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With our luck Armas will get hurt with an ACL, Thorton will weigh 295 lbs and Rico will be USMNT def mid and Walker will surpass Canon for best GK in MLS.

11. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY

don't forget that the fire knocking us out of the playoffs next year.

12. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    and Cornel Glen captureing the Budweiser scoreing title for Real Salt Lake

13. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/metrostars2.php?article_id=1512

According to the article, Lewis states that the trade deadline was at 5pm yesterday. The unprotected lists for the expansion draft have been made and will be released to the media tomorrow.

I've seen no word of a trade as yet in any outlets so is any deal dead or will it occur sometime between the expansion and superdrafts?

Year 3 of Bob's "3 Year Plan" starts today!

14. metrosct

metrosct New Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Rowayton, CT
    It is speculated that Bonseau is close to obtaining a green card. That would open up another SI slot.

15. jgoal5

jgoal5 Member

Apr 4, 2001
    LV-PA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Does it really matter what trades are made...we all know what the end result will be....

Decent season until Aug., then it all falls apart.

*Please note that this view should change once opening day on 05April arrives. The result of this is from serious reflection of the Metros being crap for 9 years while watching DC raise its 4th league title. However, if the offseason does not go well, then this malaise will continue for an unspecified period of time.

Thank you

16. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i don't think he ever was sane

did you hear Wynalda on Sunday, said that Nowak was not only a teammate but was the coach of that Fire team

17. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    Eric Wynalda, always the voice of reason.

18. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nowak got Armas and Razov from the Galaxy for a song? Found C.J. Brown playing semi-pro somewhere? Found Josh Wolff in the A-League? Scouted Beasley and Bocanegra?

19. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley knows American talent better than anyone - but finding them and coaching them are two entirely different things. (I have no side here, I'm simply pointing out how you can both be right)

20. MJNES

MJNES New Member

Jul 8, 1999
    Cranford, NJ
    No one has ever questioned Bradley's ability to evaluate talent. Though the SGR thing can test one's patience...

When push comes to shove, is there a better candidate to coach the Metros? Bradley has won in this league, and he's the best talent evaluator in the league. There really aren't a bunch of candidates that come to mind who I would immediately say is a better coach than Bradley.

21. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    This was written after Wynalda was told he was going into the hall of fame.

Wynalda scored 10 goals and had five assists in 21 games for the Fire in 2001. Despite his status as a part-time player (11 starts) for Coach Bob Bradley and a relatively paltry salary of $65,000, he rates his last MLS stop as the best.

"I'm proudest of my affiliation with that club," said Wynalda. "We all know the San Jose story, Miami was pretty bad and New England was worse.

"My role was to come into the game if Ante [Razov] wasn't cutting it and I was fine with that.

"[Coach] Bob's [Bradley] a pro. That's the club I spent my whole MLS career trying to find."

And in this article, Wynalda endorses Bradley as a future national teamcoach. Clearly, EW is schizo.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCN/is_5_24/ai_80222838

22. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    So what we need is an on-field Nowak & Kubik to hold these youngsters together, provide leadership and free Guevara from bringing the ball forward from all the way back in lot 16A.

Paul Ince to the Metrostars.
    :D

23. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Yeah, basically. We need a Lothar kinda guy who can go up to a young player and teach him that the ball is round, and the shape of an opponents leg.