Lewis Counters Bell Article

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Sweeper, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, for once he's probably right, but I would feel a whole lot better if the quotes were coming from someone other than Mr. Sackiewicz.

2. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Seat lisence purchasers,

Mr. Bell's ascertion that Red Bull would stay at Giants Stadium neglects the very idea of what Red Bull is trying to accomplish. Why pay rent when you can own the building and all its income?

Additionally, Red Bull paid for the naming rights of a stadium extending forward 10-years. Why spend that kind of gelt on a building when you will be located 10-miles away?

No, Giants Stadium isn't an option and never was. The building itself is an implacable hole.

Bury the idea with Hoffa,
    P

3. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    But notice how the stadium issue is the only one that Nick refutes. He doesn't refute the news about Chinaglia, Bogie, Neeskens, Alberto, Messing, etc., and he doesn't refute the possible name-change to Red Bull Cosmos.

That's a non-denial denial, to paraphrase Woodward and Bernstein.

4. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    He has no say in those matters any more. His sole job description is to focus on the Harrison Stadium.

5. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also didn't refute the second shooter theory in regards to the JFK murder.

Hmmm.

6. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Perception is reality.

7. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    It's crazy. After innumerable posts about the Cosmos (and the grief you get from posting them) and you might actually get your wish. The Cosmos are actually part of the discussion here.

You must be pleased.

8. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    I am very pleased. And if you want a more detailed explanation as to how I'm feeling, I just posted a long response to Doctor K in the "Name change again? Red Bull COSMOS!" thead. Click on page 3.

9. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    It's a good thing that you've been a Metros fan like all of us for all these years. The disappointment won't hurt as much when you find out that the team isn't being renamed the "Cosmos."

10. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, please, let's let Mr. Sakiewicz's soothing words about the future of this team make everyone feel better. Just like old times.

11. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    No, but it is still a wet dream that you keep spewing out on.

12. HectorM

HectorM Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Pittsburgh

And it would make an even more convincing posit if "Mr Bell" had in fact asserted any such thing"

But since "Mr Bell" said no such thing, it is pretty irrelevant. It isn't his fault that a whole bunch of people chose to read something other than what was actually written.

As for the "Old Footballers Brigade" coming in to add tons of cost and no expertise to the management of RBNY, I have no doubt that that's exactly what will happen.

If I were you. I'd prefer that the stadium thing was true: having that bunch of pompous has-been egomaniacs, who incidentally know nothing whatever about running an MLS team, at the wheels of RBNY is a scary, scary thought.

Comical, but scary.

13. mlsfan31

mlsfan31 Member

Nov 1, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The name change, if they need one??? should be Cosmos only and red bull should be the sponcor on the chest like other teams. Then it would not be as big of a joke to the fans.

14. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Don't you guys see that Red Bull is going to purchase Cosmos only so they can create a new Cosmos drink ("it's out of this world").

15. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    bayer leverkusen?

16. gothamite

gothamite New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    New York City, natch
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're presuming that it's a joke to the fans. It isn't.

Some fans don't like the new name, others love it, and I'd wager that most don't really care so long as we keep our team and they improve.

17. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    You are spot on..the name of the team doesn't matter that much and hopefully will grow on those who don't like it now. I wasn't wild about the Cosmos name either back in the early 70s after being a NY Generals supporter prior.. but grew to like the Cosmos name because the team played well, won championships, etc..