Lewis and Feilhaber. Derby v. Newcastle 9/17 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by ossieend, Sep 16, 2007.

1. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Will Benny get his much awaited First start?

2. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I noticed earlier today that he isn't even listed in the provisional squad in the match preview on the prem's website. Link.

Does anyone know if they just recycle last week's? Or is that a good indication he won't make the bench?

3. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe hes only injured on british soil?

4. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    I shouldn't think the Prem website knows anything about the squad, in fact our own players probably don't know yet. I f Benny is fit, I should think there's a good chance of him at least making the bench and possibly starting, especially after the Anfield debacle.

5. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't this be in the game thread? Benny or no I want blood and goals.

6. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Actually, if you could figure out how to combine ultimate fighting with the Prem- you have the #1 sport in the world with a bullet

7. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I did notice, for example, that Lewis is listed and Fagan isn't, so I figured there was some information they are working from.

He is fit, by the way. Looked completely fine versus Brazil (he played the first 70 minutes or so).

8. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Davies has to get real. He has to pick his best young talent and sprinkle it with a few older fellows and get on with it.

Its clear that the current 11 are just not good enough, and its basically assinine to think Eddie Lewis can be a full-time LM at this level either. You use him situationally and every now/then (so he keeps fresh legs) or as a sub or tactically against some teams. But not game in/game out.

Same goes for some of the other *not quite Prem quality, but can give a solid performance now and then guys * of which Derby has a lot

Guys like Feilhaber are a risk, but have much more upside if you let them play + allow them confidence. Let a guy like Benny have a run of games, and get to relish the challenge w/o fearing a quick YANK on every turnover.

You are going down certainly (picking 11s like the first 5 games) so you have to roll the dice w/younger talent, and hope they blossom quick enough to help this year w/very short learning curve.

Miracles can happen, and you odds are better w/younger guys growing up then older guys raising their game to a level that is past them (clearly)

Otherwise, why even buy a Feilhaber?

9. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this post makes too much sense. my money is on benny not making the bench. he might get his 1st minutes off the bench sometime in Oct. Maybe he'll get a start by Dec.

let us bask in pessimism, since the worst things that could happen to Benny with regards to PT, have and will happen repeatedly. he is American, let's not forget. In the soccer world, that's like being Muslim man going to a rodeo in Alabama.

10. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    lol. that's pretty good indeed.

11. the_mighty_rams

the_mighty_rams New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    We have a small squad, who've already had injuries to Leacock, Davis, Feilhaber, Lewis, Jones, Barnes, Mears, etc - who would you have had Billy Davies pick?

There's always gonna be a settling in period for new players and team line-ups will change. But if you could point out the glaring errors in 'picking 11s' I'd be interested?

"Eddie Lewis is set to hand Derby County a boost for Monday's home game against Newcastle United.
    Lewis has missed the last two matches with a groin strain but the left-sided midfielder trained yesterday..."

http://www.therams.co.uk/details.asp?back=true&key=1D29|0|2185366269754|R|536|11838271492007767271232&parentkey=1D29|0|2185366269754|p|536|0

12. the_mighty_rams

the_mighty_rams New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    Benny Feilhaber is another possible debutant tonight. The American midfielder, a £1m signing from Hamburg, could play some part against Newcastle, possibly from the bench.

“He's certainly in my thoughts,” said Davies. “The lad is looking good in training. He is confident, he has great energy and has settled in well. Now it is a case of picking the right moment to put him in.”

http://www.therams.co.uk/details.as...114332&parentkey=1D29|0|2185366269754|p|536|0

13. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, this one is not on FSC?

14. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Well, Setanta is showing it over here. Can you get a feed in the US?

15. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it is available over here. I have to decide if I want to pay the extra fee.
    It does seem like they air the better matches.

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Per Yanks Abroad ...

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=3407

Derby host Newcastle for a Monday night clash but Benny Feilhaber will not be on the team sheet, but Eddie Lewis should be on the bench.

"Will not be" sounds pretty definite, but last minute roster 'additions' and 'subtractions' aren't that uncommon.

17. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is growing sentiment over here that Feilhaber never really was injured. That's the number one thing I'm annoyed with in this whole thing.

Of course there is a settling in period and it's a new team and a new country and all that. I have no problem with it taking Benny weeks or even 2 months or whatever to prove his place is deserved in training. But Davies makes it sound like he looks good all the time and is on the verge of playing...until he doesn't. Then we go around and around with this again before the next match. Then we have an "injury" which seems to have no effect on him when he's in the US. Now, we've seen him play and we know if he was ever injured he isn't anymore. And Davies makes it sound like he's on the verge again.

I guess we'll talk more next week. :)

18. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Davies is scared to pull the trigger on Benny, apparently.

After he got his head handed to him at 'Pool, you'd think he'd realize some things.

Unfortunately, looks like Derby will have to lose 8 in a row, and be deep in the hole early before Benny gets a decent shot. Benny is not going to play over a healthy Barnes, so the window is getting tighter in some ways too.

My guess is that Davies likes Benny with his head, but not his heart. "Give me those bustling English types" etc

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I just came across this - not sure if it was posted elsewhere, here or on the USMNT forum ...

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/d...tentPK=18334246&folderPk=78988&pNodeId=126358

{This was before the US-Brasil friendly.}

Tomorrow's friendly against Brazil is of particular significance for the midfielder, who was born in Rio.

But Feilhaber's main aim is returning to full fitness in time for Derby's Premier League fixture with Newcastle United on Monday, September 17.

"The game against Brazil will be special for me, there's no doubt," he said.

"But my goal is being 100 per cent ready for the Newcastle match.

"I'm upset that I haven't been able to show people at Derby what I can do yet.

"I got a little nick on my left ankle and it was pretty sore and I couldn't play against Liverpool.

"I was disappointed but it's a lot better now.

My dad and my sister will be at the game but my mom can't make it - she's over in Europe sorting out my apartment and car and things like that for me."

20. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Setanta will be showing the Monday games this year in the U.S.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You should always check out: http://www.myp2p.eu/ for P2P feeds of European matches. It lists this game as available using TV Ants. I've had good luck with this feed in the past so it is a viable option. Just need a broadband connection and best of all it is FREE!!!!!!

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well, Giles Barnes is a damn good player. I assumed when Derby bought Feilhaber, it was because they were going to sell Barnes. In fact, you still see rumors about teams like West Ham coming in for him in January.

I don't blame Davies for sticking with the guys he knows for now. He desperately needs a result and doesn't want to take chances with unknowns. Benny will get his chance soon and he needs to take advantage of it.

23. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guys he knows haven't come close to winning a premiership game. At what point is time to start trying something different?

24. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Yeah, that's really the point here.

The 11 he's put out aren't getting it done, and actually heading in opposite direction (less competitive). Watford may have been an automatic relegation candidate last year, but they were 'in' a lot of games until the end (especially early in season) and even after Marlon King went down.

Derby is behind the Watford pace (keeping games tight).

I think Feilhaber being (a) new to the Prem (b) a Yank and (c) a different style from bustling English players....its just too much for a nervous Davies to risk (or what he perceives as risk) at the moment. The players Davies is comfortable with (limitations and all) will likely be given every chance to succeed vs. the potential guys.

This would make sense if he were picking up points early, but he's not. At least not so far.

I can tell you- Eddie may play a good game now and then. But to expect him at this stage to trot out, and over time be better than his opposite marker in most Prem. games (averaged, over time). I think that's asking a lot.

I also think it takes a certain type of manager to appreciate and believe in what Feilhaber brings to the game (similar to what Reyna- in his prime- brought to a team). Its not obvious to every football fan, and I can see why even the guy who bought him would be nervous (given the current pressure)

25. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why the hell did Davies bring Benny in if he's not gonna play him. Benny has more quality than anyone in that midfield. I've watched every Derby game this season, and picked up a few from end of last season.....wtf.

Davies will repeatedly go with 30 yr old Tier 2 has-beens, and repeatedly get his ass handed to him.

Honestly, Derby is starting to piss me off. Benny is no better off than his situation at Hamburg, and he is at a much worse club. He'd be much better off moving to a smaller league in Holland, or the MLS, where he would not only be a starter, he'd be the best man on the pitch.

I mean, apparently Benny is good enough to start against teams with Riquelme, Messi, Ronaldinho, Kaka, etc., but a mid-table Newcastle United is just too damn much for him, and the manager has to treat him like a China doll..........IT'S BECAUSE HE'S GODDAMN AMERICAN........and that shit Davies only likes playing scouse/english losers (over the hill Eddy already had history with Davies).

I'm sorry, I'm a fan of players, and Benny is my favorite player...to see him get disrespected so much at every turn just pisses me off. Especially by some crap club from the middle of nowhere, UK, who won't win a Prem game, and will be Colaship by December.