Level of play: anyone else surprised?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MightyMouse, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit. Don't be an asshole about it. I was trying to answer your question. I didn't realize you were pretending to be Inspector Gadget.

2. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    I'm with the majority here. Most of what I've seen this year is an improvement on last year and the whole scene at LA/Chivas on and off the field was great.
    I missed the bit about the Supporters Shield winner getting a CCC place, this is something I've been wanting and may well have far reaching affects on MLS.

3. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually trying to be funny. Not trying to be an ass. I know you were trying to help. I probably should have used a smilie instead of the sarcastic face. :eek:

"Thank you Mr. Helper" is an obscure movie reference. Positive Rep for you if you can get it right. :D

4. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    IMO the level of play has been mixed.I have seen some quick one and two touch soccer with finishing and alot of missed oppurtunities.However I agree the level is much better than five years ago. We are on the right trackWhen I compare the MLS to the EPL the biggest difference to me is the quality of midfield play and the overall possession skills of EPL. We seem to be less talented in the midfield in MLS .I am glad to LD back in midfield and hope he is there for the US in the WC.I am curious if you guys think that our smaller and narrower pitches may have something to do with the midfield issues?

5. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :) Wasn't that a Sam Kinison quote? I don't remember the movie though.

6. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Sadly, yes. They are waiting for it to be tour-able so they can really sell the bennys to us. :rolleyes:

Their marketing budget is darn near $0, but they will start advertising more near the middle of the season.

7. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    In the book "The Tipping Point", the author mentions a study that showed that spectators perceive the quality of players to be greater when they play in nice stadiums and surroundings. In other words, the great game day atmosphere clearly influences our perception of the quality of play.

I'm not saying the quality of play isn't better-- and certainly, the minor competition changes introduced by MLS (e.g. rewarding the supporters shield winner with international play) provide some (small) incentive for players to play harder. But I also wonder, based only on anecdote and observation, if we're not seeing the emergence of a critical mass of young American players with a couple of seasons under their belts. These same guys have been around for a few years, but now they've actually improved to a point that their early season performance isn't plagued by as many "typical young player" errors.

8. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got it. Nice job! The movie was titled "Back to School". The 1986 classic starring Rodney Dangerfield.

Rep for you. :cool:

9. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you nailed it on both counts.

10. Crazy Eights

Crazy Eights New Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Good point about heat...

...although this year in LA they got it right... all Galaxy home games are in the evening. Good move.

11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how fast any of the Euro leagues would be if they played during an American summer.

12. jammybastard

jammybastard Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Flyoverland

Talking out my ass? How about making a simple mistake?
    What an attitude. Grow up man.
    :rolleyes:

It was HDNet, thanks. I watched alot of footy last weekend and it was tought to keep track of it all.

13. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    I am very surprised at the level of play I am actually happy to see some good games week in and week out with games like these it might make me GASP!!!!go to game or 2 this year......

Good games Nice crowds.. hope the trend continues..

I do expect for the level of play to come down alot during the HOT summer months and then pick up again when it gets cooler....

More night games perfered over afternoon games under the hot sun where no one is going to be playing any good.....

14. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of interesting games have been played so far this season and some fabulous goals to boot.

And also, the league is on pace for its 3rd best average attendence in its history (behind 1996 and 2002). It might jump past 2002 if Chicago can put together a good string of sellouts/high occupancy attendences and/or if the US does good at the WC and it bumps the gate here at home. I think in 2002 the HDC opened (to go along with the WC), so there is a good chance we can be looking at a season with an average attendance comparable to 02 ( 15-16,000 or better).

15. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this season is by far the best ever. like everyone else said the atmosphere at most of the games is great and the play is very high. Does anyone else think that the worst games of the weekends though are the ones that espn2 shows at 4pm. I guess a day game is never going to be at a lower level because of the heat, i wish they could show a game at 7 or 8 though.

16. Yes, the season has gotten off to a great start and I, for one, think that the league has improved dramatically since '96. My niece from Australia is visiting us in Michigan. She spent the last six months living and working in London while living and breathing EPL soccer. When she arrived, she only wanted to see the FSC EPL matches but I forced her to sit down and watch some MLS matches the past two weeks and she has admitted to really enjoying them. Its different than the EPL, she says, but still entertaining to watch. Her favorite teams to watch are Chivas USA and DC United because of their Latin possession-style.

I also believe that there is a tremendous amount of intensity in this season's games. Whatever the reason for this, I hope it maintains because it makes the games that much more enjoyable to watch. I wonder how the Galaxy and Revolution would have done in the CCC if the tournament would have only started now.

17. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It's slightly better, but that's possibly because there has been very few new players brought in, so the guys are used to playing with each other. It's not dramatically better than last year. CHI-CLB was painful to watch.

18. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I do really hope that Donald Trump will buy the Rochester Raging rhinos and turns it to a BIG MLS team.

19. European16

European16 New Member

May 30, 2004
    Koln
    i am just lie kyour euro friends lol. i started going for NY too because of the jerseys:p and their play of course