Letter to Courage Fans

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by lizarazu1998, Sep 18, 2003.

1. lizarazu1998

lizarazu1998 New Member

May 16, 2002
    http://www.carolinacourage.com/384011.html

From the Courage website:

A Letter to Our Fans

The Courage and their fans reveled in winning Founders Cup II. (Credit: Getty Images)
    Dear Courage family,

It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that the Women's United Soccer Association (WUSA) and all its teams, including the Carolina Courage, have suspended operations effective immediately. The decision was made by the league's Board of Governors at a meeting on Monday in New York City as a result of insufficient revenue to support a fourth year of play.

The decision to cease operations came as a surprise. There was a great deal of optimism within the Courage office. In financial terms, the Courage had been the best performing franchise over the last two years—thanks to your tremendous support -- and our ownership group for the upcoming year was falling into place. The WUSA Board of Governors had decided to switch from the single entity business model to a more traditional sports model – a move that figured to attract new investors to help expand the league’s national footprint. Unfortunately, as the Courage’s financial picture was firming up, the ownership groups in a few of the other markets were falling apart. With only 4-6 investors committed to the 2004 season, the Board of Governors voted unanimously to suspend operations.

The timing of the decision, only five days before the first game of the Women’s World Cup, has created a lot of discussion. It is important to understand that the WUSA Board of Governors, players and executives were anxious to avoid the disruption caused by continued uncertainty during upcoming World Cup play. The Board was unanimous in the belief that, given the financial realities facing the league, it was in everyone's best interest to make an immediate decision and announcement. The team player representatives were consulted numerous times regarding the timing of the announcement and gave their approval.

What I wanted to be sure to convey to our investors, sponsors, volunteers and fans is how grateful and honored we, the staff and players, feel to have been a part of this community. You have embraced us with open arms and allowed us to share three of the greatest years of our lives with you. Your support has been tremendous and we will truly miss all of you.

Although we will be officially closing our offices over the upcoming two weeks, there is still a glimmer of hope that professional women’s soccer can return. Hopefully individuals and businesses that didn’t sense the urgency of our shortfall will catch World Cup fever and step up, allowing our league to continue. I also urge you to continue supporting women’s soccer in the Triangle. The 2003 and 2004 Women’s College Cup will be played at SAS Stadium. Make sure that those games are sold out. Please keep alive the dream we started together.

On a slightly different note I would be remiss not to mention that we have some incredible staff and players now looking for work. I unequivocally state that these are some of the finest people you will ever meet – the community and your business will both be stronger if they can be retained. We have people at all salary levels and in almost every skill set so please don’t hesitate to call. It might be easiest if you contact myself 919.656.2115 or Lisa Allison (our HR manager) 919.749.0289 and we can ensure you get in touch with whomever you are trying to reach.

Best regards

Scott Travasos
    General Manager
    Carolina Courage

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Scott Travasos

[​IMG]