Let's Tallk About Assists (Mathis/Amado)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Vistula, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    I wonder what the assist totals would've been had MLS continued to count them the old way?

I remember Woly scoring after Mathis hit the bar with a header at LA. In the old days, that's an A.

I also remember Magee scoring in Colorado on a rebound after Amado's shot was saved, and Woly scoring his golden goal after a Magee shot was bungled by Countess in Dallas.

During one of the old Andy Williams debate, I remember seeing that several of his primary assists a year ago were shots that were saved and/or hit posts. We also know AW had tons of secondaries.

Anyway, Lisi's 11 and Amado's 10 are pretty impressive considering the new criteria. And I'm sure Clint would've been up around five if they were awareded the old-fashioned way.

2. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have to believe the statistics would still be relatively the same percentage wise if they were re-done. This is like Al Gore with the chad stuff. I don't see why it would only favor one or two players. I might be wrong but do not believe they would benefit/hurt one more than another over the course of a whole season. Maybe in an individual game but I think they would balance out over the course of 3o or so games.

3. Charlie Armstrong

Mar 7, 2001
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't anything like "Al Gore with the chad stuff"* but you're right that a change in the way they count assists should help or hurt everyone in a roughly equal manner.

*The reasons the Gore/Florida comparison doesn't wash is really neither here nor there so I won't go into it. Suffice to say that Gore wanted the hanging chads counted for the same reason that Bush wanted the absentee ballots counted.

4. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    I find it almost impossible to believe that Mathis had only 1 assist this year. That is very bad.

5. Charlie Armstrong

Mar 7, 2001
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Let's Tallk About Assists (Mathis/Amado)

Yeah, Woly and Magee should have made a few of those shots. Amado looked pretty weak on the end of a few of those Mathis passes as well.