Lets Talk Music Part 2

Discussion in 'Barcelona NSR' started by NattyBo, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dropkick Murphy's? Eww.

I'm sorry, I have a friend who loves them, but I just can't stand them.

2. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    [youtube]08_2eTj3wsA[/youtube]

Just wanted to share this awesomely awesome video of Radiohead playing a cover of Ceremony(Joy Division/New Order).

3. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that's very nice. Where did my tape of Substance ever end up, I wonder?

A bad stretch of sports fandom for me, every team I like lost this weekend, but four straight nights of Of Montreal shows has left me deaf and happy. :)

4. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    I've had a similar run myself. My Sabres couldn't score in a brothel.

The only difference being I was deafened by reggaeton all week in Puerto Rico. :(

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    You were in Puerto Rico? Cool. Where did you stay and what did you do there?

And yes all the reggaeton there is sickening. You should have let me know you were going and I could have told you about some good local indie music or punk rock shows.

6. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    I was in Guanica (near Ponce in the south) and had a day and a half in San Juan. All on work's dime. :cool: Guanica was nice and relaxing (I got eaten alive by mosquitoes though). San Juan was pretty enjoyable as well. I didn't have a ton of time there, so I just hit the old town. Plus, it poured like crazy the one day. Luckily I was stuck in one of the forts for some of the downpour.

I'll definitely let you know next time. It would be a welcome cleansing of my musical palate when I'm there next.

[​IMG]

7. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Nice, Guanica is a really ecologically diverse area. There's a small island right off the coast around there called "Gilligan's Island" that has some amazing beaches.

Old San Juan is the typical tourist area. It has pretty good nightlife but alot of the college crowd and whatnot have left to other parts of San Juan because it's pretty expensive. That area and the Condado area of San Juan are expensive in terms of going out.

That fort area gets crazy though during these anual parties they have. It's basically the whole grass area surrounding the old forts which is huge completely full of people relaxing smoking weed. And the cops don't do anything about it. And all the streets of OSJ get completely packed. It's like the Puerto Rican Mardi Gras. It gets wild. Good times.

8. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revisiting an old question.

I'd have to say my favorite album this year has been Spoon's GaGaGaGaGa.

9. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprise, my answer: Of Montreal's Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?

How about favorite old album you never listened to until this year? For me, 1971 - Sly and the Family Stone's There's A Riot Goin' On.

10. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Past Is A Grotesque Animal is the shizznit.

As for my favorite "new-to-me" old album this year, 1968 - Prince Buster's Wreck A Pum Pum. I stumbled across a used copy at Wreckless Records several months back and had to get it. It lived up to every expectation.

11. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Fave new old stuff for me would be the double disc set of 16 Lovers Lane by the Go-Betweens, the Sly reissues, and Doin' It Right by Mike James Kirkland (obscure soul gem reissued on Luv N Haight). I'll up it when I get a chance.

As for new stuff, Part Monster by Piano Magic was quite good. There has to be other stuff, but I'm drawing a blank.

12. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to talk serious here. Apparently, Hannah Montana's fan club members are suing the fan club. I also heard that this might finally the straw that broke the camel's back, that there could be major changes in how tickets are sold now to big shows because there's just too many little girls out there with no tickets crying into their Hannah Montana hankies. Plus, Disney is pissed and Disney pissed is a frightening force of merciless fury.

BTW, I had no idea she really was Billy Ray Cyrus's daughter in real life also.

13. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would they change though? I think some performer (maybe prince) made you enter your driver's license number at the point of purchase, then confirm it at the show. That has obvious disadvantages though. Other than something like that, I imagine the scalping agencies will continue to screw everyone.

P.S. I know way too much about Hannah Montana, having been subjected to several episodes by my best friend's little sister.

14. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When asked why the title track of his album was 0:00 long, Sly alledgedly replied, "Cause I feel there shouldn't be any riots!"

15. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Had a chance to see them in NYC at The Ritz in NYC in '92 with Pavement & Superchunk. Got there late and it was sold out. I can't remember who I saw instead that night. It definitely wasn't as packed a bill as that, that's for sure.

17. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
  18. malicia

malicia New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    a cold dark place
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Chris! You were in PR. Vacation...sounds nice.

Dr. Know, thx for the vid. I always listen to Ceremony right before running.

OK, here's my warning. Do not ever ever think of going to graduate school. It will suck your soul and give you nothing. I've missed some great shows here lately (that the BF gets to go out to and come home & gloat) and haven't been able to watch games much. (Or play. Hurt ankle, makes me cranky).

Bizarre. I saw them back when dinosaurs still roamed and I still altered my moods regularly...therefore it was a kick-ass show. :D

Of course, the upside of being a loser student is having no idea what a Hannah Montana is and the only memories I have of Billy Ray Cyrus have to do with Bill Hicks.

Sly is amazing. Good road trip music.
    Only old stuff I listened to lately, has been Hazel Dickens & Alice Gerrard, but it's old old not new old.

19. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Annnnnnnnd time for Monty Mutante's Lessons of Life #1: school is for suckas. :D ;)

20. malicia

malicia New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    a cold dark place
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Naw, the getting paid to sit around & read books & stuff was cool. Those were the good years. But now I have to write this damned book-size thing and can you believe the nerve? They want me to finish soon!

Haven't heard from that school near you...I hear it's kinda scary to teach there though.

21. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? What could possibly be scary about living near SDSU? Fears that the sun will bake your brain into a numbed, mellow fellow?

22. Richarded

Richarded Member

May 16, 2006
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    WOOP... i get to see justice soon! :D

23. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Here's a music video from one of my favorite punk bands from Bilbao. Part of the Rock Radical Vasco movement.

MCD (short for "Me Cago en Dios", gotta love the Basques :p) - Barrenkalle

[youtube]lbMg-oeHvI4[/youtube]

It kinds of reminds me of the old New York rocknroll-punk bands but with a bit of English Oi! mixed in.

24. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Anyone up for a "favorite holiday cuts" upload bonanza? I'll be dusting off those xmas MP3s this weekend and would be happy to upload some favorites. Whaddya say?

25. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, please!

I am in dire need of some Christmas tunes. I lost all but Fairytale Of New York (as it was mixed in with my other Pogues) in a hard drive transfer mishap.