Let's talk Games

Discussion in 'Barcelona NSR' started by Greddy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I finally decided to get a new console so I'm asking the typical question, Xbox 360 or PS3?

2. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really starting to like my PS3, but my standard answer is still to go with the 360. Xbox Live is just so much better, and things like Netflix streaming(which I use a lot) give it more value. They both have good exclusive games, but when something comes out on both systems, I just default to the 360 version.

Meanwhile, I've been playing the hell out of Metal Gear Solid. They just re-released it for download on PSN, and it's been this great trip down memory lane. My first play through of MGS was probably the high point of my video game playing career. I think it was one of the first games that I was anticipating for months, and it completely blew me away. Playing through it now, the graphics are a little rough, but it's still a great experience. Downloaded Final Fantasy 7 too, but I haven't really gotten into it yet. I don't know why they didn't release these games sooner. I would be dropping money on the PSN every week if they were releasing games like FFVIII, FFIX, Vagrant Story, maybe the team Ico games (I have an 80GB, so no backwards compatibility :(), etc..

3. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's the verdict on FIFA vs. PES now? From what I've read/heard, most people have switched from PES to FIFA over the last few years. Truth be told, I haven't bought a non-football manager soccer game in years, and my last experience was back when PES was universally considered the best game.

I'm definitely going to pick on up this year, but I honestly can't decide which. I haven't seen too much on FIFA 10, but the pictures I've seen of PES are really impressive. (Link)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Graphics wise, PES is going to be the best.
    GAmeplay, i hear the real simulation will be FIFA. The guys at Winningelevenblog.com and fifasoccerblog.com seem to be saying that. They say fifa has a steep learning curve. They now have 360 dribbling, so instead of the 8 directions you can move with the joystick or dpad, you can move in any direction the joystick moves.
    PES looks beautiful and well it just seems like it will be a great year for the footy videogames....Now if they can combine football manager and pes or fifa together :)

5. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep meaning to give FIFA a try, it's good to hear that the two franchises are neck and neck, we all win!

Check this out:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NliWKWnJdos"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NliWKWnJdos[/ame]

6. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I guess this can go here...

I got an iPhone the other day, for people that also have one, what games/apps do you recomend?

7. USCule

USCule Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm amazed that the consensus is:

Graphics - PES > FIFA

and

Gameplay - FIFA > PES

How topsy turvy is that??

As for the iPhone, there are, like, a gazillion apps. It really depends on what you need/want/are willing to pay for.

8. messiah10

messiah10 Member

May 7, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    if anyone has played madden 10 before................. is it worth buying???

9. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to buy Madden every other year, as the changes don't seem that important to me. Now, I'm by no means a hard core Madden guy, so I might not be the right guy to give advice on it, but I'd say no. I bought it yesterday, and I'm already done with it. I've heard nothing but great things, so I'm probably in the extreme minority, but it just wasn't clicking with me. I played a couple games(as the Bears, w/ Cutler), started a career in that Superstar mode (where you create a character and just play him), went through the Virtual Reality training (which is actually very cool), but that was about it. 3-4 hours after I got it, I was already wishing I could return it for something else.

10. messiah10

messiah10 Member

May 7, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

yea i didnt think it was that good either.......but i think its better if you play it on live ....... thanks

11. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I only download the free apps, my favourites are 'Darts' , 'Cube Runner' and Idiot test' apps, there is a nice SkySports football results app and a similar one specifically for La Liga by Marca... Do you have the 32GB?

12. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I have the Marca one and it's not bad but the best app for football scores is one called iFooty World. It has scores, play by play, and news from a bunch of leagues around the world and it's free.

Probably the best game I have downloaded is one called Zenonia. It's an adventure game in the style of Legend of Zelda: A link to the past. It's great and huge, probably around 40 hours worth of play.

I have the 16gb.

13. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just played around with iFooty World for ten minutes. Good looking out, Dr.

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    No problem. A new GTA clone came out called Gangstar. I saw some videos on youtube and it looks sick. But it's 7 bucks right now so I'll wait to read more reviews before I buy it.

15. ColdenHaulfield

ColdenHaulfield New Member

May 13, 2009
    San Diego/Long Beach
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gangstar is pretty fun, actually. Shooting cops, getting paid. Standard M.O.
    And jailbreaking iphone is as common as DLing music. No one will pay for apps soon, except for someone's grandparents.

16. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Here is a quick vid i made on some pes goals, the last two are Barca goals. Watch it in HD cause it looks crappy otherwise. If you are hispanic you probaly know the song comes from supercampeones, an animated show about football. Thought it would be funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac2pazpAR_c

17. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. I like the last one especially.

I've been playing the crap out of this game with a coworker of mine and some things just absolutely kill me. Through balls are crap 75% of the time, whether on the ground or through the air. And sometimes I will set up a guy in the box for the volley of doom, and he'll do some weak crappy header instead of drilling it. And the one that has been in the game for 10 years, a ball that is just slowly rolling into touch at an angle, my guy will kind of run towards it but you just know he'll let it go out. ARgh!

18. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    yeah, For gameplay play pes 6 on PC with a good patch, graphics arent that good, but the game is so fun. Ive been playing with friends betting and stuff. PES 6 remains the best footy simulator to day. I have all the stadiums of all the teams all the kits and all the balls, every player has a face, all world cup teams. Hell I even have the scoreboard for every league on pes 6. Its way fun.

Ive been playing footy games on the pc for a year now for the editability. If you notice i got the brand new kits for the WC in that video. But I am going back to the handy 360 for the WC game. I am just started a new master league with barca, i will do a video with highlights.

Ive literally become a nerd over footy games. Today is my first day of spring break in miami, and am at home playing video games, so sad :D

19. 35mmMessiah

35mmMessiah Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Canuckville
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Montserrat

Yeah? So what's that HUGE grin for then? ;)
    Nice vid... the last two goals, the best... of course!

20. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I make fun of myself.:)

Now before I go to my crazy S.Florida partying (or family dinner) I leave you the highlights of my first game in the masterleague. Zaragoza v Barca.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p93fd94p7cE"]YouTube- Barcelona PES 2010 vs Zaragoza 1er partido de la liga master[/ame]

21. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    PES 2011 looks like PES is back in business.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkpixOv7VU0&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- PES2011 - Full Gameplay preview code - [HD][/ame]

23. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  24. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    FIFA sounds great this year too, but there are no gameplay videos out there yet.

The thing with PES is that it has a cult following. FIFA has all the licenses but up until 2008 it had horrible gameplay, on the other hand PES had few licenses to teams and the graphics weren't great, but the realism of the game and the time you would spend on it was awesome.

Now FIFA has good gameplay, better than PES, but PES is trying to make a comeback in 2011 and it looks great. I just want both games to be good, more footy action to go around. :D

25. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope PES is back! I gotta say, my office mates talked me into playing FIFA World Cup and it was really really good, first one I played a lot of. The bad news is that I gave up the unofficial title of Office Champion. :( Just can't quite shake some of the PES habits I've picked up over the years that don't translate to FIFA.

Hopefully the new PES is so good that we can play that again and I can regain the throne. :p