Let's talk Feyenoord [results]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by panicfc, Nov 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's talk Feyenoord

Okay in the recent month Feyenoord has brought over Tim Howard and now Carlos Bocanegra. Any ideas why they are suddenly scouting US players?

Who is next to head over?

Plus we can chat about the current team.

Anthony Lurling impressed me against Juve.

PvH could be back for the Geordies this week, and that would be good news.

Okay let's talk

2. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Since they're checking talent from all over the world, why not?

Give van Persie his starting place back.

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just seems odd that they've brought in two Yanks in a month. Of course the fact that our season just ended, but its still unusual.

Who would van Persie replace?

4. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Lurling, or Buffel if they want to try him out as a forward like I saw him play in the Holland u-21 squad.

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffel is hot, and Lurling had a good game last week, so I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

6. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Buffel scores sometimes in the Eredivisie, and it's thanx in part to the good chances he missed in the Champion's League that Feyenoord are in the position they're in now where reaching the 2nd round seems impossible.

Lurling had 2 good games, but he doesn't bring offensively what van Persie can bring..and would bring, if van Marwijk gives him a chance. He's better at the defensive role than van Persie is though, I'll give him that.

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffel has 6 goals this season, good numbers for certain. Of course his misses against Juve were critical, but those things happen. He proved he could score for Excelsior, and will probably hit 20 goals this season for Feyenoord.

As for Lurling, he looks good to me but I can't judge yet.

Haven't seen Van Persie, so that will have to wait.

8. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
  9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should be eligible, but with Juve bringing a second team to Kiev, odds are not in Feyenoord's favor.

10. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i will be in holland this coming weekend and i know feyenoord has a home match on sunday (i will be watching stewart and NAC on saturday). is there any chance of getting a ticket at this late date? how would i do it, just walk up at the stadium or scalper?

11. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you need a Club Card. Call Feyenoord customer Service now and sort it out.

12. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    Yanks

I think Feyenoord really does scour the globe for the talent. Just consider the makeup of their squad. They also seem to be working toward being a global brand and their UEFA cup experience/exposure combined with this years Champions League have given them a big boost in that direction. Check out their new website, new since last year and much upgraded.

You would also have to admit that Feyenoord have been very succesful in integrating Asian players into the squad. It is my impression that they been the most successful in that regard among all European clubs. I believe that they have enjoyed a boost in recognition and a resultant economic benefit as well. This success may be encouraging the club to look at other nontraditional sources of players, such as the good ole US of A. To be the first European club with an American "Star" has got to be an attractive prospect from a marketing standpoint. Besides I think both Carlos and Tim would improve the team immediately, my opinion.

13. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feyenoord definitely has done a great job with their Asian presence, but don't forget Brett Emerton from Oz, and it appears they are seriously looking for a Yank. Maybe Taylor Twellman :D

When do you leave on your trip? Want to grab me a couple of t-shirts?

Anyone else having trouble getting a connection on Feyenoord training webcam today?

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well another win today, and narrowing the gap on Ajax and PSV.

Would be nice for a 4th team to have a chance, maybe Utrecht will keep it up.

15. Go2NY

Go2NY New Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Croton-on-Hudson NY
    Recruiting

Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord and other Dutch teams scout early - 16 and 17 year olds - from all over the world - and especially Nigeria, Brazil and Argentina - that way they can get a jump on the higher paying teams in Italy Spain and Germany - and pick up starlets cheap - develop them and sell them for several million euros a piece to the big four

Remember, Ronaldo, Romario and Rivaldo all came through PSV - Kanu and Olisay came through Ajax, all sorts of other famous players came through and were developed in Holland.

Holland is probably also one of the best youth development countries in the world, and a great place for a Brazilian starlet to get a grip on how football is played in europe.

I'm surprised Bocanegra didn't make it at Feyenoord, they actually have a job open at left back.

Almost half of the Ajax team is under 22 - three players, Van De Vaart, Van Damme and De Jong, all Dutch starlets, all under 20, are now playing for the Ajax first team, and will undoubdetly be playing in Spain in a few years, combined making maybe six to eight million euros or better towards the Ajax inclcome statement.
    Ironically, Tim Howard is very possibly good enough to start for Ajax, but they already have a 19 year old Ajax Youth starlet in goal, Stekelenberg I believe.

16. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Re: Recruiting

Maybe 6-8 million euro's? That would pay for vd Vaarts left foot maybe. Vd Vaart has announced that he wants to stay for at least another 2 years. By the time he gets sold I think we're talking 30 million euros. De Jong isn't gone for long and so is van Damme.

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Recruiting

Not in the current market, but VD Vaart is a superstar.

As for the other post about Howard and Bocanegra - one thing to keep in mindre talking about dealing with MLS and that makes it hard to get a transfer.

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't get into the stadium cams on the Feyenoord site.

Also tax evasion being reported and jailtime for the chairman.

Not good:(

19. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van Damme

is Belgian btw not Dutch.

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More importantly,

Thomas Buffel is Belgian

21. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Juventus actually do their job, and Feyenoord drops the ball.

¿Rivaldo didn't play for PSV did he?

22. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a load of crap. Newcastle goes through. Tough times in Rotterdam

Rivaldo didn't play for PSV, Romario and Ronaldo.

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Feyenoord improves and closes gap on the top boys.

24. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    A good win today, glad to see there was no let down after the Newcastle game.

25. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002