Let's Talk About Fox

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TimmyHoward, Jun 8, 2016.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone else been experiencing problems with the sound and video being out of sync during World Cup programming? I’ve recently subscribed to Hulu, and that’s how I’m watching. I’m too new to it to know if it’s a broadcast issue or a provider issue.

keller4president repped this.
  2. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013

I did look him up and found this description on his Wikipedia page:

Outstanding. :ROFLMAO:

striker repped this.
  3. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine how many costs they'll skimp when the USA fails to reach Qatar.

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  4. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I saw him at a game a decade ago (I THINK it was the 07 Gold Cup Final) and he drew a HUGE crowd of fans outside the stadium before the game started. People wanting picture, autographs, etc. I can't fault Fox at all for wanting to bring him along simply for the ratings.

Overall, I think Fox has been fine. Meola is the only one who I'd be glad to hear less of. Strong has gotten really good at what he does and brings his own unique style to calling matches and to be honest I prefer it over Darke, etc.

And though he's been calling matches for the Gold Cup and Copa America on Fox for a while, the biggest nice surprise has been Followill. He's like what Dave O'Brien would have sounded like if O'Brien didn't suck at calling soccer matches. I wouldn't mind seeing him move up Fox's pecking order when JP finally retires.

5. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately Fox is 20 years behind where ESPN was in terms of announcing. Listening to this world cup is like rewatching a game from France '98. I don't know if this is on purpose that, they don't want to speak over their perceived audience's level or not but it's pretty annoying. I assume these people spent the season watching club football and hopefully have been watching and learning about the teams they were set to broadcast, but I honestly can't tell. They have yet to tell me a single thing I didn't already know, though they did point out that Mane had scored in the Champions league final about 10 times Yesterday. Agree that Derek Rae, and Ally Wagner have been the best although I do think they are being hampered by being in LA. Strong and Holden are kind of dull but heard worse and occasionally Holden will make an incisive observation on tactics (although he seemed to do it more during Champions League Broadcasts). The rest have been varying degrees of bad.

6. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I was so glad to have the Mexican cheering squad announcing the Mexico vs. S. Korea match. If I had closed my eyes, I would think that Mexico was the only team on the pitch.

7. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure this is a minority opinion, but I think JP and Meola called a terrific game this morning. Tony in particular has developed a great eye for noting interesting details. I think they are one of the top broadcast pairs at this cup.

8. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to watch Fox for the first time and I agree they were pretty decent.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  9. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've mostly been watching in bars where it's tough to hear the commentary well, so I have minimal complaints about it. Maybe beer helps numb the pain of bad commentary. I was leery of the Spanish-as-a-first-language guys commentating, but I'll take the tradeoff of lack of English proficiency for their enthusiasm. Agree they were pretty pro-Mexico in their games.
    I'm really f$%^&ing tired of the Apple ad with the whiny woman singing. No amount of beer can numb me from that noise.

10. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Tony as an analyst and listen to him any chance I get on counter attack. But I’ve had to mute him twice in the three games I saw him do. The only other announcers I’ve ever had to do that for were Phil Simms and Tim McCarver. Maybe Rex Hudler. And Cris Collinsworth. Dan Dierdorf. Dennis Miller. Boomer Esiason. Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow. Jon Miller. Joe Morgan. Okay, maybe it’s a pretty long list, but I’ve never done it for soccer. And it’s still not good company.

My biggest complaint about the fox broadcasts has been the score graphic (Fox Box). I can’t stand the constant drop downs and pointless stats they throw at you. In one match last week, I swear the thing didn’t stop the entire game. The camera was too tight and you couldn’t even see the ball but the dumbass operator didn’t stop putting them in. Just let me watch the game. If I want to know Matić’s club team and history, either tell me or I’ll look it up.

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent coverage all around so far.

Much better than the traditionally stale BBC and ITV coverage in the UK, though I haven't seen this years coverage.

Who would have thought it?

HomietheClown repped this.
  12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Holden made one small gaffe in the last few minutes. He didn't understand why Ronaldo was helping Cavani off the field. It wasn't just a nice moment, he was trying to get Cavani off the field quicker by redirecting him to the endline.

Paul Berry repped this.
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You are a brave soul.
    Most people in the TV forum of BS think that the BBC and ITV are perfect in every way.

14. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall, not too bad.

The Good: Derek Rae and Volkswagen ads

The Terrible: Ally Wagner and the Apple ad with that horrible tune playing in the background

15. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Thankfully, "American Soccer will never be 'authentic' unless we're English in every way possible" isn't as obnoxious as it was a decade ago.

16. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, are the Fox announcers under orders tomfawn ovee Russia? Commentator and the studio show has been really divorced from reality.

Until this match, I thought Wagner was pretty good

17. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither team is deserving of praise. What a snoozer.

18. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Does Stone have to cram stats and historical tidbits into every breath?

And what's with the "reset" crap?

On Telemundo, Cantor has been his usual imperious, humorless, lecturing, legalistic, anticipating, officiating, coaching self. He saps the joy out of the game. He's horrible.

striker repped this.
  19. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I thought Wagner had her worst game of the tournament. Maybe it was being at the game? (she was more spectating than calling)

20. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was the Fox "you must praise Russia" directive. But that's just me inviting a political fight. Maybe you're right - because I thought she was good before.

21. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Yeah, that was a silly oversight. Ronaldo was like, "Sorry, you're gonna limp 15 yards this way as fast as possible instead of 65 that way as slow as possible" and the announcers were like, "Wow, what a great moment of pure sportsmanship."

I actually think Holden has done a really good job as a color guy. Pretty good insights about tactics, etc. without as much of the unnecessary, "Let's see what happens now..." stuff that is best left unsaid.

Overall, I think the broadcasts have been fine. I've never been in love with ESPN's coverage other than the fact they have better announcers. Final note to Fox: more Kate Abdo and less Rob Stone, please.

22. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Ah, yes. And when Ronaldo heard the applause he tried to appear magnanimous.

23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes please!

HomietheClown repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    More, More, More.

25. Gingawhitous

Gingawhitous Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Iowa
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bound to be a downgrade when you go from Bob Ley/Mike Tirico to Abdo and Stone.