let's spend some time together

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by taosjohn, Feb 5, 2006.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I can't bee-leeve almost forty years later Jagger felt obligated to finesse the tag line on "Start Me Up..."

I also think its weird that it wasn't till the last forty seconds or so that we were allowed to see Darryl on screen. Assuming it WAS Darryl, all I really saw was a black guy in a hat... and Chuck Leavell, who could not be heard in the mix at all...

Still and all the Stones at the Super Bowl sure beats "Up With People..."

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Richards wasted or what? Did he even play a note? Ron Wood took most of the guitar solos.

3. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "you make a dead man ..."

go silent? :(

I thought it was the worst halftime show I can remember. Especially bad compared to the MoTown pregame bit with Little Stevie Wonder. Josh Stone held up really well.

4. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you're talking about the "you make a dead man" line. I don't know if Jagger dropped the last word, or if the show producers did it for him. Everything's on a 5-second delay since the Janet Jackson debacle.

5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    He dropped it.

And Richard's lack of leads was more a function of the set list than anything else...

6. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Engage in ironic, self-referential commentary before an audience of millions?

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to think she was just a slip of a girl, but she looked like she could have suited up and taken a place in the Pittsburgh secondary.

8. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    Jagger sounded like crap.

9. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you tell? The camera shot at that second was from the upper deck of the stadium. I was paying attention b/c I wanted to see if he'd say it, and though the music was continuous I had the impression that the censors could cut Jagger's mic without cutting the music. It just sounded a bit edited to me.

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    1. there's no loss of ambiant at that point.
    2. There's no abrupt break off of the "n" sound.
    3. He makes his punctuation gesture at the end of "man," not a syllable later...

11. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought he was having a senior moment and just forgot the next line...

12. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Radio reports this morning had Mick agreeing to drop the line, but the censors were ready in case he didn't.

14. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay. Censorship rules.

15. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Censorship can go ******** itself. :cool:

16. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Jagger was out of breath most of the time so maybe he just needed to suck some air.

17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Yeah, his wind is clearly shot-- which is a real problem, since it was his gift for phrasing which made him special...

Dan Wetzel is reporting that they censored him, so I may be wrong; but if I am, the equipment has improved a lot more than I think. I suppose you could record a sample of the ambient from his mike earlier in the song and use it to delete the word when the moment arose; I still think the "N" from "man" would sound wrong, as the "c" starts directly out of it with no pause. You would either have to cut it short or fade it quick, and neither happened. I've got it on tape and I've rerun it many times.

Wetzel says there's a line in "Rough Justice" was cut too...

I did think they should have played "Imagination" instead of "Satisfaction" in honor of Motown...

18. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa

welcome to george w's america.

19. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea! **** those astrices. The ****ing ****s. **** yea! This ****ing rule. ****.

20. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    "How about, What I'd like is, I'd like to hug and kiss you."
    "Wow! That's much better!"
    "Yeah! Everybody can enjoy that."

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Simpsons references rule!

We Want Chilli Willie!
    We Want Chilli Willie!

22. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I do believe that you can get the lyrics to the Rolling Stones songs from any number of spyware-downloading russian web sites. They could just make Mick's mike mack at the apropriate moment and keep the others recording.

Not that you can even tell. The audio was terrible. I think something was wrong with the microphone. That's probably what the two guitarists were talking to each other about 30 seconds into the first song.

23. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She can take me down any day. ;)

(Ummm. She isn't young enough that I can be arrested for those thoughts, is she? :) )

24. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    They sucked!!! It was only three songs, why were they so bad? Jagger was god awful and the band sounded like they've never played those songs before.

Are they this bad in a full concert? How long does it take them to "warm up"?

25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Not sure I'd have described it as bad. Jagger's definitely lost lung power and Woody was into weird sounds on that artificial national but I thought it was pretty good; Keef and Charley and Darryl are what I listen for anyway.

You're just not going to get a tailored sound when it has to be set up, performed and torn down all in forty minutes and leave the field playable... oh and the sound people only get to assess the venue empty-- no warm up act. But the band played good, it just had a bootleg sound to it. Same thing happened to McCartney.

There's no doubt that "Satisfaction" is pretty tired these days... songs go in and out of health over the life of a band, and its not in an up period... rather they'd picked almost anything else.

I saw a full show on the "Bridges to Babylon" tour and they were superb, and the sound was excellent. Don't know what the current tour's been like.

The Stones issued a statement deploring the censorship; so I guess I better start looking for a good recipe for crow. Wonder if I could adapt Chicken Enchiladas...