Let's sign injured players to cover for our injured players - the summer transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by blueguitar322, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am assuming we got some cash from Fabregas deal to Chelsea.

2. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also made a big push for Suarez by all accounts. Had Liverpool not been so so committed to keeping him, we might well have pulled it off. IIRC he wanted to come and was agitating for the move until it became clear that it wasn't a possibility.

Wasn't last year supposed to mark the start of a new period when we'd finally have more cash available to spend because of our new commercial deals? Ozil was a good start. Let's see what round two brings. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach instead of whining and crying. It's fookin' June 12th FFS. At least wait until late July to start the pity party.

charlie15 and DeltaSig repped this.
  3. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. 5m. It's getting bronzed and put next to the 4th place trophies.

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Except that we didn't complete the deal. We haven't shown the ability to actually execute these deals, which is why passing up an easy transfer like Fabregas is so perplexing. Fabregas went for less than Fellaini did. Think about that. Some of you guys were advocating signing Fellaini last year for 25, saying that's what top talent cost.

It's not a pity party, it's frustration and exasperation. I'm willing to wait and see, but I think most of us will quite rightly be furious if we haven't done anything by the time the season starts.

Fifty repped this.
  5. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    about to collect some serious interest

Fifty repped this.
  6. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not surprised by Fabregas moving to Chelsea. At 27 this is going to be the last big contract of his career and he need to make that money. After all, he's got that gold digging girlfriend to support, and the house he bought her (from her husband) is only a few minutes from Stamford Bridge. Arsenal was never going to pay him 200k a week to sit on the bench, so go where the money is.

Silva 5 repped this.
  7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can you make papier mache trophies out of the money you have in the bank? Can you put them next to the fourth place trophy?

Fifty and DaPrince84 repped this.
  8. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fvck him. It's not the move that angers me, its all the BS he spouts about "once a gunner always a gunner", and how much he loves the club. When you continually say things like that, you cross a line. It's no longer just your job.
    To me, his move to Barca was 100% emotional. He pushed for it like a child who wants an ice cream. He was swept up in the emotion of their WC win and was swayed by all his buddies at Barca.

Consider this: if he had stayed then, he could be going back to Barca now. We might have won something in that time, and he would have left a legend (even with no trophies imo). He'd be poised to be the lynchpin of Barca's midfield with Xavi in decline, and could end his career as an Arsenal & Barca legend.

As it stands Arsenal fans won't like him, Barca fans (and apparently the club judging from that statement) have never liked him, and he'll just be yet another mercenary to play for Chelsea. Once he leaves there in a couple years he'll fade from their memories as well. He's picked up a few trophies (and plenty of cash) along the way, but to me the guy hasn't made the best career decisions on a sporting level.

footykid and charlie15 repped this.
  9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is what he said on facebook:

I'd say that says it all.

10. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We hadn't spent a penny until the final moments of the transfer window, and had failed to address our biggest needs all summer. There was no plan.

No one gives a shit about signing players by June 12th. People are concerned that when our transfer strategy consists of haphazardly grabbing out at whatever is cheap, we let a great deal go. Asking people to have faith that Wenger has some grand transfer plan is foolish, when the opposite has been true for a long time.

Fifty repped this.
  11. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Eh, I don't hate Cesc. I'm a bit disappointed to see him in Chelsea blue, but that's football these days. He clearly wanted to come back to Arsenal but we didn't want to have him -- so he takes a job where he can.

It all sounds a bit like an after school special where a kid ditches all his friends for a new group of friends, only to find out that they're all douches. Then he wants to get back in his original group of friends, but they've all moved on.

Fifty, gogunners14, Twiggy and 1 other person repped this.
  12. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love this. Well said. Revenge of the Nerds this season. ;)

13. DeltaSig

DeltaSig Member

Mar 7, 2007
    DENVER
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except it it a pity party. Sometimes players don't want to come or the clubs don't want to release the player regardless - like pool. So you move on. Fabergas is not a critical position -clearly they are going to use the money to strengthen elsewhere.

I dont know why everyone thinks Arsenal can or will throw money around like only 5-7other clubs mostly financed by OIL money do?- get it through your heads We cannot compete against PSG/City clubs when it comes to players.

charlie15 and goonsquad repped this.
  14. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Where are you seeing that? Arsenal gets 50% of any profit Barca makes on the sale. At the rumored sale price Barca is making zero profit.

15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is not my point. My point is this:

1. We haven't shown the ability to execute transfers for top players, the kinds of players that you need to actually win major trophies.
    2. This was a case of a top player actually wanting to come to Arsenal, even if he did play a position that we have some (but not a lot of) depth in.
    3. There's a good chance we sign a couple of scrubs in Remy and Schneiderlin.

Now, if it turns out that we actually do execute deals that improve the squad and address weaknesses (players like Martinez or Bender or Draxler or Griezmann), that's a different scenario. But our past track record suggests that that's unlikely.

16. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the rate we're denouncing our former players, only the most loyal and dedicated of Arsenal players will be candidates for statues in front of the Emirates some day.

Only those who truly believed Arsenal was the single club in Europe worthy of their talents.

Only those one-in-a-million players who never wavered on their loyalty to Arsenal and Arsene Wenger.

Gooners of the world, I give you Abu Diaby.

17. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There is plenty of room between what the oil clubs spend and what Arsenal spends. I just want Arsenal to spend what it has and not insult everyone by arguing money in the bank is something football clubs should be proud of.

Fifty repped this.
  18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It doesn't make sense to make a statue of a hospital bed.

19. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is that a fact for you?

20. gogunners14

gogunners14 Member+

Dec 6, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    haha. Cesc probably watched the episode of Saved by the Bell the Miss Bliss years that covered this issue, except Lisa, Screetch and the gang take Zack back.

21. DeltaSig

DeltaSig Member

Mar 7, 2007
    DENVER
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because they didnt pull the trigger on Cese means they didnt want him or deemed him a luxury. Logic

22. DeltaSig

DeltaSig Member

Mar 7, 2007
    DENVER
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Ozil
    2. OR he plays in a position that Arsenal does not have a need.
    3. See point one - you dont know that

- You mean when the club was hampered by stadium debt and low commercial deals that track record? now financial things are changing and again see point one.

charlie15 repped this.
  23. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This used to be my argument. But it is a futile argument.

When it comes to the transfer market, Arsene Wenger is who he is.

He isn't changing.

I've learned to accept that and it helps me sleep better at night.

Serengeti_Boy, DutchCane and flyerhawk repped this.
  24. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant, why is it a conclusion they will strengthen elsewhere. History shows us that a small part will be used to buy cheap deals.

25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thi is where you and me disagree Mebe. If we end up with Remy, Schenderlein, Aurier and a Di Maria, Pedro or Griezman…I would be jumping of joy! Why? Coz these fours players (or similar) are what we need, as far as role and positions. Not a prima donna who bombed at Barfa and expected to come back like a savior.
    By the way, I have been following Schenderlein and Griezmann and I strongly believe these two can quickly become top players. I would take a chance on them any day over Cesc, since they would totally fill our requirements and more.

thebigman repped this.