Let's Roll

Discussion in 'Elections' started by -cman-, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rep given with a patriotic tear in my eye...

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. Father Ted is in Connecticut, a state that's a lock for Kerry in the electoral college. If he voted Libertarian it wouldn't have made a difference to Kerry, or Bush.

This is evil to say, but part of me hopes Bush wins. I just want to watch (even though it's online) people on the BS forum have a serious meltdown.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, as long as the vote is for Kerry.

4. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I for one plan to go on a three-day drinking binge to drown my sorrows if Bush "wins" again.

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least you'll have front row seats for the eventual downfall of the last great superpower.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never really considered the politics forum a great superpower ;)

7. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

It doesnt matter if Kerry is ahead by 20% or down 2% where I am. I can say I did my part to get Bush out and my conscience is clear. I've had a knot in my stomach about this for a few weeks but I am glad I voted the way I did.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Personally, I think we need viable 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th parties, but that's something for debating starting tomorrow... or January 6th, whenever this thing ends.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's great that you voted, we need more people to vote. I'm also glad that you feel that you have a clear conscience. I'm just disappointed in your reasoning, it's nothing personal.

10. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Voted in Adams Morgan neighborhood in DC (very diverse). Long line at polling place (around the block). We got there a little before 8 am and took over an hr in line. We have 2 options, electronic touch screens or paper ballots (draw a line to the candidate you want). Didn't see any trouble in line, some anarchists spray painted a message on the sidewalk outside and on the nearby bus station (probably did last night). Whatever, if you don't want to participate in elections I hear N Korea is nice.

Otherwise I sit and wait (when Bush loses can I go down to the WH and sing Hey Hey Hey Goodbye?)

K

11. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In today's day and age, with voter challenges and unreliable machines and just plain old cheating, there's no given anywhere. His state and the perceived color of that state at this moment is irrelevant.
    Whatever -- maybe if you lived in a city where people see Bush's armageddon-tempting foreign policy as a threat to their personal safety every single day, you wouldn't be so aloof about it.

12. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    You couldn't be more wrong. I voted for Kerry, but the process is way bigger than these two who are running. If you ever feel like speaking for me again, I suggest that you take a deep breath, and then go f' yourself.

13. muskiesrock35

muskiesrock35 Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Cincinnati
    I just got home from voting. There wasn't a line at all. No problems!

14. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Got to my precinct at about 10am, no lines. Nice old guy outside offerred an umbrella to block the rain while I unloaded my 6 month-old twin boys out of the van and into their dual stroller. While doing this, he whispered to me: "Well, you've got the right stickers on your window," before smiling and adding that he would have helped in any case. (2 stickers: Kaptur and Kerry)

Absolutely no wait inside, and not a very black area, so no Republican challengers that I noticed. They mentioned it had been busy earlier, but this was clearly a down time.

Embarrassingly, we Ohioans also had a gay marriage ban to vote on.

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, so because I don't live in Manhattan means I'm aloof. Wow, you're really stretching there. I don't need to share with you my travel itinerary, but suffice to say I spend plenty of time in the NY metro area every month. Not to mention my entire family, sans my wife and sister, live there.

16. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'll join you. I did the same thing when his daddy lost. :D

17. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin

Move to Oklahoma and you get that method on your absentee ballot. You connect the arrow pointing to the candidate you choose or on state initiatives 'yes' or 'no'. On the ballots at the polling station, you get to use a very nice magic marker instead.

I spent two hours in the Edinburgh Consulate two weeks ago to get my ballot notarized. They skipped my number and ignored me for an hour. The highlight was the 4-yearold Scottish boy on a leash/harness who was beating his baby sister over the head with a book. Good times. I guess there's a reason no one wants to go into Consular Affairs when they take the Foreign Service Exam. And yes, I voted Kerry.

18. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you have a laid-back coffee lounge in Adams Morgan? One where you order and they mark your table with a big playing card or something?

When I opened the ESPNZone in D.C., I spent lots of time there; if Kerry won, I'd celebrate there...after going in front of the WH and mooning the Oval Office.

19. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    09:00 Count: 75 voters on our list out of 244 ballots cast. We get reciepts from the polls with each voters' name on it. I recognized a lot of people I know who were not on our lists. Still, not the kind of parity I would like.

Very heavy turnout. This precinct usually votes between 700-800 in a general election and had nearly 250 by 9 a.m. Still a line about eight deep when I left.

Got a memo from IDP regarding the GOP pulling a felons list that was only 75% accurate. Left a guy at the polls to eyeball the GOP pollwatcher and report back on any challenges.

20. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You couldn't miss the point any more than you did. There's a part of you that wants to see Bush win just to watch the Dem carnage. I know dozens of New Yorkers who see this as literally a life-or-death issue; that Bush has not taken obvious steps to protect our citizens from a future domestic attack and won't do so in a 2nd term. Any reasonable person can conclude that the stakes are higher in New York than they are in, say, Binghamton.

21. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    We use punch cards. When I pulled mine out I checked for hanging chads.

I had an hour and a half wait to vote when I went at about 8:30. People were in pretty good spirits in line depsite the wait, people on both sides were just happy to see such an amazing turn-out for an election. A few of the poll workers said there was a line when they arrived to set up at 6am, 30 minutes prior to voting beginning.
    Hell I convinced my GOP parents to vote that thing down. It's an sham.

22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't speaking for you, don't think so highly of yourself.

23. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the same thing as Issue One in Ohio. We've already got DOMA, you ignorant asses! Even Taft and Voinovich say Issue One is a BAD idea.

24. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I'm sorry. I guess you were speaking AT me. It's so hard to tell. Regardless, you may still feel free to go f' yourself.

I look forward to your upcoming opinions on who "wasted" their votes.

25. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    I forgot to mention that we have touch screen voting now. After I triple checked my ballot and hit enter, the card popped out and the friendly welcome screen came up, prominently saying "DIEBOLD VOTING SYSTEMS" :eek:

I hope my vote got counted.