Let's put our cards on the table...

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Grok, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If the USA losing the USA v. Mexico match and failing to qualify for the Confederations Cup meant JK is immediately fired, how many would be happy with a USA loss? I know I would be.

I have mixed feelings after a match like tonight where I'm excited about Gyasi becoming a world class player while simultaneously depressed about JK getting the credit.

2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate klinsman. Hate hate hate.

But I can't root against U.S. and will be at the rose bowl next month.

Hate klinsman

3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Klinsmann isn’t getting fired until 2018 or the failure to qualify. As I've said before USSF has doubled down on their Jurgen bet.

4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I want us to beat Mexico and get a berth in the CC. But if we do lose my sadness will dissipate very quickly if it is followed up by an announcement that Klinnsman and Sunil talked and "mutually agreed" that now it is time for JK to step down from US soccer.

5. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I gotta be that guy. Why is this being posted as it's own topic on the LA galaxy forums? This could be discussed among LA fans in the LA galaxy themed USA thread.

As for my answer, i'd never root for my own team to lose especially in such an important match even if it meant something positive happening.

6. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might feel that way if it was MY team. This is Jurgens team, nobody else's. They happen to be wearing Nats units but the doesn't make them MY team. He has screwed this up so bad that the sooner he is flushed down the toilet, the better. Regardless of what it takes.

JBZTV, Grok, galaxydeadhead and 4 others repped this.
  7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015

The Beautiful Gamer and MPNumber9 repped this.
  8. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I guess for me it would depend on just how very amazingly positive that positive happening was....;)

9. OC Galaxy Fans

Jul 30, 2009
    Placentia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am envisioning quotes from the USA v MEX post-match press conference now:

• Mexico is a great team and their fitness level was just a bit higher than our's
    • It's hard when MLS teams were not willing to release key players for the warm-up matches
    • There were some questionable calls which could have gone either way
    • Mexico has more players playing internationally, and today their quality showed
    • They did a good job of sitting back and absorbing our pressure, and surprised us on the counter
    • The stadium felt like a home game for Mexico

10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sorry, but you didn't quite finish your assignment.
    • Mexico is a great team and their fitness level was just a bit higher than our's
    • It's hard when MLS teams were not willing to release key players for the warm-up matches
    • There were some questionable calls which could have gone either way
    • Mexico has more players playing internationally, and today their quality showed
    • They did a good job of sitting back and absorbing our pressure, and surprised us on the counter
    • The stadium felt like a home game for Mexico
    • ...........................[<- Insert disparaging remark about our players mentality/skill level and blame it on MLS]

StillKickin and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  11. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Jurgen is actually a pretty good argument for selling Gyasi while we can. A few more years under his stewardship and we can look forward to weeks/months without his services while he recovers from a hamstring injury.

The Cadaver repped this.
  12. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's going to blame the fans, isn't he?

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  13. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot one...

This was our best game so far this year. It's just too bad that the U.S. Fans are so uneducated in the game of soccer to understand the progress that has been made since 2011. After all progress and vision is far more important than current results. They will get it, one day when I've been able to teach the team and fans a winning mentality and solid understanding of soccer.

StillKickin, The Cadaver and WarGalaxy repped this.
  14. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The US aren't nasty enough.

Am I alone in finding the hype over Gyassi a little odd? I find him to be a decent Galaxy player at best.

Lletget is on a different level.

And while we're on the subject, how come JK's scouring the globe, looking for talent, didn't turn up Sebastian on his radar?

It's almost as if he's just sitting at home, calling contacts in Germany and asking if they have any kids who aren't good enough for the nats and have US lineage...

Grok and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  15. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I don't think SL is on a different level from GZ. Yes he had a nice little run when he first came on, but that seems to be dying out. Do I think SL has a 16 goal season in him, no. Is his work-rate as good? No.

16. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I disagree. He is still more involved with much of our attacking play and tracks back plenty. Also, despite not being a forward, his composure in the box is superior. He finishes better, his touch is well above what Gyassi has, he is a better passer and he is far more intelligent in his decision making.

Zardes finds good positions but I still think it's a crap shoot if he puts a chance away.

17. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. It's all academic. Might as well root for the USMNT, because it's 2018 or bust. You just need to hope Gulati refuses to re-up Jurgen's contract for beyond 2018 prior to Russia. Jurgen loves this gig, he will absolutely push for it.

18. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right about Lletget, but you're underrating Gyasi a bit, too. He's evidently already more than a "decent" Galaxy player and he's been good for the NT.

But yes Lletget has a skill/athleticism combo that should let him pass a walk-in audition to start for the US. Still, I can understand the reticence to call him in for such a big game, only due to relative inexperience. OTOH, this is exactly the sort of game where an unknown wildcard could do some damage. But you're noticing that Jurgen only gambles on unknowns when there's nothing to lose.

19. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Gulati’s tenure is up in 2018 as well. Jurgen and Sunil’s futures are enmeshed and totally reliant on Russia 2018. Success will no doubt lead to a Blatter-esque re-election campaign for Sunil and another 4 years of Jurgen. Failure and they can both “gracefully” exit by decided “not to seek a new term/contract”, it’s pretty much win-win for them outside of a France 98 performance.

jmaestro repped this.
  20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Gyasi got his call up at the January camp - impressed there - and has been building momentum ever since.

I think we can all go ballistic (USMNT-wise) if Lletget isn't call up for the 2016 January camp and given the same chance….

21. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I didn't mean for the term "decent" to be an attack. Relative to our squad, being a decent player is very creditable. I just still see particular flaws and was not as sold as some on him last season. He had a good purple patch but remember that he was fluffing chances left and right the season before. He had slipped more in that direction by the end of 2014 and while he's clearly progressed from the 2013 edition, I still question his ability in front of goal.

Don't get me wrong - I would love for him to press on and provide excitement for what the US is producing. I just see him as a " fairly good" player, rather than someone that stands out from the pack.

22. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I guess you mean that decent is just above average? Think of it this way. Gyasi, if he doesn't score another goal this season is averaging 8.7 with one more goal putting him at an average of 9. His current goals per 90 minutes is the same as Dwayne DeRosario and way head of notables like Cobi Jones.

I think its way too early career-wise to determine where Gyasi will end up. However, I have a feeling that it will be better than decent.

23. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I really like about Gyasi:

He keeps improving, even though he's "too old" (allegedly) to get any better.

24. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    After tonight's result and continuing bizarre coaching decisions (really, is he just making this up as he goes along?), I can't help but think if we don't get a result against Mexico next month the calls for Jurgen's head may be too loud to ignore. Or maybe not, but one can dream.

25. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Sunil:

Its long time past the time you should have had a conversation with Phillip Lahm to validate that your eyes and ears are not deceiving you. The emperor truely is not wearing any clothes. Its time to get rid of Wormtongue.

You already have a USNT coach who is a proven winner, who can manage talent and progress though generational changes. I know its hard but for once be brave. If its too hard consider hiring a temporary coach who has the trust of the players. I am sure he would be available for another 1 game stand. Or alternatively consider the round mound of the North if you want a US Coach who has not coached the team before. And finally if you are willing to go outside the country consider the Italian who recently resided in Madrid. No one would criticize that hire as a bad football decision.

Grok and mbar repped this.