Lets Go Storm

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Capt. Chaos, Sep 13, 2006.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. StormFire

StormFire Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Chicago
    Balthrop! I am an idiot (please do not comment).

And thanks!

3. WaveGKRcoach

WaveGKRcoach New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Good luck this weekend against Philly. I hope to see a Milwaukee/Chicago final on April 21!

4. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    My predicition is that Chicago will make it to the finals.

They will lose in the final match and like Cleveland and St. Louis before them be the 3rd consecutive losing finalist to not return to the MISL for the next season.

5. Capt. Chaos

Capt. Chaos Member

Chicago Fire & Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2005
    Way out in the land of the setting sun
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I disagree with the latter. The Storm has almost everything entirely set for next season and the league will not let them die. Don't worry about us Storm folding or anyteam for that matter.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would the league not let Chicago die, but they let Cleveland and St.Louis and San Diego and Monterrey and Kansas City all die?

Please don't tell me Chicago is a crucial market for the MISL again. It just isn't.

7. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Well it might have been crucial to save the Storm to keep the league from falling to 5 teams, but it's less urgent now.

But I'd be suprised if they folded now.

8. bielefeld

bielefeld New Member

Mar 6, 2007
    endel, germany
    if ya want more people ta show up, bring back "the grand prize game". im sure bozo an cookie have time. think about da waitin list fer them two! im sure some people still got thier waitin tickets from da late 80´s. what more of a marketing plan do ya need. even mr. T did the openin kick-off for "der sting"

9. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    Hey Kids! It's time to play THHHHEEEEEEEE
    GRAND
    PRIZE
    GAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!!!!

I'd even consider going to games for that. That was the only reason I watched that show when I was a brat...

10. Krycek

Krycek New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Especially considering that all those cities had better attendance than Chicago.

11. FireFanKeith

FireFanKeith Member

Mar 6, 2000
    chicago,il usa
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go again, what has it been a month or 2 since the Storm will fold talk. Sorry Kenn but we disagree as usual, Chicago is important to the MISL. I'm sure the MISL doesn't want a club to fold with the New Jersey Devils ownership group coming in along with the others. I am sure they let the new owners know that the group of 6 they have now is stable and will stick around(I am not saying that they are but I'm sure that the MISL let the new guys think this). Not that having season tickets for next season on sale already and having summer camps scheduled all summer means anything but it points more to the team returning than folding.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every team is important to the MISL.

What I object to is the notion that the Chicago market is somehow the lynchpin, the crucial element to keeping the whole thing together.

It's not.

And if the league could simply "not let a team fold," they wouldn't have let San Diego, Cleveland, Kansas City, Dallas, Harrisburgh, Monterrey et al go away.

If the owner has had enough, he's had enough. Considering the league's efforts to "find new ownership" for the Force and the Sidekicks and everybody else who's folded or "gone on hiatus" in the last five years, I'd say the chances are very slim that if a team folded, the league could do much about it.

That said, I don't particularly think there are any more signs that the Storm are folding than there would have been at any time up to this point. If ownership has the money and is pleased with the direction in which they're going, they'll keep doing it. If they aren't, they won't.

Having made it through three years (and with a possible championship) puts them well ahead of lots of others who have tried and failed.

But please don't try to tell me that the league simply can't get along without Chicago. They've gotten along in the past without Chicago. They've gotten along without teams in New York and Los Angeles forever.

Milwaukee would be hurt by Chicago's demise if it happened. But Milwaukee has somehow managed to get by for 23 years, whether there was a team in Chicago or not.

13. StingStorm

StingStorm New Member

Jul 10, 2005
    The Storm/Kixx playoff series is sure a close one. What makes it even more crazy is that not a single home team has won a game this year.

The Kixx will have been sitting for 2 weeks with no games.

The Kixx score well in Chicago , but they just can not score at home against the Storm. The last 4 games in Philadelphia , the Kixx have scored 3 , 2 , 1 , 3 goals and all 3 goals the last time were restart goals.

The player the Kixx must stop is Bollella , he has owned the Kixx this year.

It believe the Kixx player who has been the best against the Storm was Pat Morris.

2 of the games in Chicago saw the Kixx get big leads and the Storm came all the way back to within one goal and just fall short.

Both teams have lost their last 2 playoff games. Storm lost both to St. Louis and the Kixx lost both to Cleveland in 2005.

I truly believe the Kixx must win the game in Chicago to win the series because of the fact that the Storm does not allow the Kixx many goals in Philly.

14. StingStorm

StingStorm New Member

Jul 10, 2005

I take it you never got into when they would ask for music when they did work around the studio. For example,,,,, when they would clean the office , Mr Ned would say , " Let's have some cleaning up the office music ". lol.

I think the only one who is still alive from the original Bozo is Marshall brodien who played wizzo the wizzard with his stone of arobia , do de do de do de....

15. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Dallas would have been the more important franchise to save and also the one that had the best chance of making money again.

But now the MISL has quasi-New York (sorry, Newark), semi-Sacramento (Stockton), pseudo-Detroit (Plymouth), and sort-of Chicago. All they need now is a team in Fargo, and they can say they have a Canadian market! ;)

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As has Armstrong, with 8 goals in the six games.

Except for Don D'Ambra, who had 8 goals and 2 assists in the 6 games. And Jon Barry Nusum (4 and 1). Morris is a terrific player, but only had 2 goals and 3 assists in the 6 games (of which he played 5).

17. WaveGKRcoach

WaveGKRcoach New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I would worry more about the Cougars folding than I would the Storm. Post season play puts more revenue (as little as it may be) in the bank. The Cougars have had another struggling year. And the travel costs are sure to be mounting. I would be concerned that their ownership team, no matter how new they are, may feel that there is no return on their investment and might decide to cut their loses. Chicago has made the playoffs for the second year in a row. So they at least are producing on the field. But then again, it's anyones guess as to when an ownership group decides to pull the plug. Cleveland and St Louis are prime examples of how on the field success can have nothing to do with ownership decisions. I would anticipate Chicago sticking around for at least another year. The Sears Centre is a great facility for them. They just need to get more people interested in watching them play. Having a successful end to 2006-2007 will help. Having New Jersey, Orlando, and possibly Monterrey join the league next year will help. But look for the dynamics of each team to change a bit, since the expansion draft is going to impact everyone.

* Please understand that these are just my thoughts and in no way should be construed as insider information or hints of what is to come. If I did have information about the fate of any team in the MISL, I would not openly discuss it until it was public record.

18. Gareth

Gareth Member

Dec 13, 2000

19. StingStorm

StingStorm New Member

Jul 10, 2005

Morris was more of a ( pain in the rear ) type of guy against the Storm.

20. Brien Martin

Brien Martin New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    DeKalb, IL
    It is standard in the sports world for player contracts to cover all regular-season games, but not the pre-season, nor the playoffs. As salaried employees, it's kinda like an accountant working overtime for the firm ... he might put in three hours before 8am, and three hours after 5pm ... but he gets paid for 8-5.

Brien

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering his team lost 3 of the 5 games in which he played, I'm thinking the Storm dealt with the pain in their rears fairly well.

22. Gareth

Gareth Member

Dec 13, 2000
    My recollection was that we paid players a contract pro-rated for the length that we were in the playoffs. And "non-essential" staff were toast after the last game. I remember in the A-league in the late 90s, we estimated that it cost $25k per week we were in the playoffs with additional barebones marketing, player expense, stadium rental and front office payments. That meant we had to sell an addtional 2500 tickets at $10 a pop to cover it. And we never did.

In the "Bigs" the economics are different. There isn't the same amount of wholesale culling of staff and players split prize pools that are signficant. Its also easier to play for prizemoney when you are making several million bucks a year. But yeah, you are right for the majors, but certainly not, at least in my experience in several sports at the minor league level.

23. Capt. Chaos

Capt. Chaos Member

Chicago Fire & Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2005
    Way out in the land of the setting sun
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    If you guys check out the Milwaukee Wave site. They have a Wave All-time Classic video of Coach Morris assisting to Brian Loftin for a Bike in the 2000 NPSL Championship Game.

I think it is unbelievable that it snuck in but also Loftin's thought to bike it in.
    :D Good job Coach and GM!

ALSO,
    T-minus 30hrs until the Championship Series gets underway

24. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    webcast for anything this post-season?

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West