Lets Go Storm

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Capt. Chaos, Sep 13, 2006.

1. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Are you sure it wasn't his cousin?

2. Brien Martin

Brien Martin New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    DeKalb, IL
    To me, that's the height of cowardice. If you wanna post or PM someone, man up and take whatever response you have coming to you. If you have the stones to post/PM controversial or inflammatory comments, then have the stones to stand tall during the response.

Brien

3. StormFire

StormFire Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Chicago
    FYI - Storm playoff tix prices are reduced. Cheapest seats will be going for $12 on game day.

4. Capt. Chaos

Capt. Chaos Member

Chicago Fire & Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2005
    Way out in the land of the setting sun
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    When you go to Saturdays Regular Season Finale, you can pick up a coupon from the Storm Center that can get you that $12 for $10.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Homer Screws (yes, an actual person) had 1 point (a goal) in 36 games for the Tacoma Stars in 1987-88.

Gary Collier had 1 point (an assist) in 36 games split between San Diego and Kansas City in 1986-87 after previously having scored 1 point (an assist) in 27 games for the Sockers in 1984-85. The guy was obviously a stay-at-home defender.

John Baretta had 1 point (an assist) in 33 games for the Tacoma Stars in 1983-84.

Danny McDonnell had 1 point (an assist) in 31 games for the St.Louis Steamers in 1980-81.

Joe Raduka had 1 point (a goal) in 30 games for the Cleveland Force in 1984-85.

But Mike Freitag (now the head coach at Indiana University) had 0 points in 31 games for the Denver Avalanche in 1980-81. That may be a record for most games by a field player without a point. I can't find anyone else, but I don't have as many teams' year-by-year stats from the NPSL before 1992 as I would like.

6. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    HEY! John Baretta was a goalie.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he was. So sue me.

8. Uncle Jer79

Uncle Jer79 New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Hey all! Great message board. I only wish I would have found it sooner. Who do you guys think should be the starting goalie for the playoffs?

9. Brien Martin

Brien Martin New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    DeKalb, IL
    Speaking as a former keeper ... I always considered myself a defender!!

:D

Brien "One year, I think I was the only defender on the club ..."

10. Brien Martin

Brien Martin New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    DeKalb, IL
    I'd keep Larkin on the bench ... his age is working against him. Let him coach up the youngster, who gives the Storm the best chance at winning.

Brien

11. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Ya know. I've been waiting for someone to ask that. Both goalies played well down the stretch, but they have a big decision to make and if they choose wrong their season could be over really quickly.

12. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    They're only 2 1/2 years apart. Larkin is only 31.

13. Brien Martin

Brien Martin New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    DeKalb, IL
    And he's 10-11, whereas Richey is 7-1.

I'll take the 2.5-year advantage that Richey has ... as well as the obvious improvement in play that the Storm seems to exhibit with him in the lineup.

Trust is everything when it comes to keepers ... I suspect that the Storm players trust Richey more than Larkin in terms of keeping the ball out of the net. If the players in front of you trust you, they can focus on doing their jobs, and not having to worry about bailing you (the keeper) out for not doing yours.

Brien

14. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I agree -- just not because Larkin is older. In fact, most goalkeepers seem to hit their peak in their 30s.

15. Moneen

Moneen New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Every athlete ever hits their peak in their 30s.

16. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go with Larkin. I think he's the better keeper and he has more playoff experience.

17. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With temps in the low 30s I'm so glad there is an indoor soccer game in Chicago today. I'm also supposed to go to the Fire game tonight but I'm debating about staying home and watching that game on tv.

18. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Only the SOX and SOX fans don't go to games when it's cold. Were the FIRE nor rain, sleet, snow or cold will keep us from the game.

19. Uncle Jer79

Uncle Jer79 New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I gotta think Jeff is the better goalie. The record shows it. I also don't think the 7-1 record is accurate. If you go by the storm game headlines, he's been undefeated since last season. In fact, it makes me think he lost his starting job when Morris brought Larkin in as the assistant coach. I think he's got the support of the fans and judging by the way the team plays when he is in, he's definetly got the support of the team. After today's game, I think Jeff has to be the obvious starter for the playoffs.

20. StingStorm

StingStorm New Member

Jul 10, 2005
    First. I knew the Wave had pride and after the whipping they took the last time in Chicago 2 weeks ago , I knew the Wave would be tough even without Dusosky's.
    The Storm came out slow and when they got the 4-0 lead and came withing inches of making it 7-0 , they thought they would coast in this game.
    I think by the way the Wave played they wanted to avoid the Storm in the first round and take their chances with Detroit being an expansion team ( a very good team however ).

Now the keepers , Larkin!!!!! Are you kidding me! With the winning steak and the fact that Larkin has let tons of goals in many times in big games against Milwaukee , bad move.
    A chance to win a regular season title gone. I feel the team did not care anyway once they found out that no home field gained from a win.
    This should be an interesting matchup against Philly being as no team has won a home game in the series and the Storm has won 4 in a row in Philly.
    Both Storm keepers have stoned the Kixx in Philly , but both have stunk at home against them.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howe Sportsdata has Richey taking the loss 12/29 vs. Philadelphia. I'm not sure that's accurate, but that's Howe for you.

The boxscore has Richey working the first 49:39 (or up until 4:39 of the fourth quarter) and Soderman as the sixth attacker for the final 1:22 (after the KiXX's last goal). But it also has Larkin playing the remaining 8:59 and drawing a 2-minute penalty (which he would have had to serve himself).

I was at that game, and can't recall if Richey got the penalty and Larkin came in for him and had to stay in after the expiration of the penalty or not.

In any case, the game-winning goal in that game was Delevski's at 13:38, so whoever was in goal then should have gotten the loss - the boxscore says it was Richey, which would mean Larkin's 8:59 had to have been in the middle. But I don't remember.

Maybe general, you remember?

22. Brien Martin

Brien Martin New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    DeKalb, IL
    Kenn,

The game report posted at the MISL site mentions that the Kixx tied the game at 4:39 of the fourth quarter, while Larkin was off serving a penalty ... which would mean that Richey wasn't in the game straight through 4:39 of the fourth quarter (Larkin had to have been in the game at most two minutes earlier). Richey's playing time just happened to be a coincidence (that Richey played 49:39).

Brien

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he's listed as having started. So Richey must have been pulled, Larkin came in, he got a penalty, Richey came back in for at least the 2:00 of the penalty and until the next stoppage of play.

Which doesn't answer the question of who was in the net when the KiXX scored at 13:38 and I honestly don't remember. That was the game-winning goal and the game-losing goalie.

24. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    I was off that game...I'm guessing I was at work based on the time of year.

25. StormFire

StormFire Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Chicago
    Is anybody posting that stuff for us regular fans to see? It used to be done by Balsom on his Dallas site (then he lost access to the info), and then the MISL put it on their site briefly, but I haven't seen it for a while (and it was always interesting to review).